Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

First post here, so praying that this thread will be in the right place!

I'm working on a build and want some opinions, as what I've received so far...has been all over the place. My overall ending power goals would be around 400+whp for a weekend car.

Current mods:

Engine/Exhaust/Performance Mods:
- IAG Stage 2 Tuff (waiting in my garage)
- Invidia Downpipe (wrapped)
- Invidia N1
- turbo blanket
- Cobb Accessport V3
- Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator
- Cobb Fuel Pressure Sensor
- Cobb Flex Fuel Kit
- Cobb ebcs
- AEM CAI
- ID1050x injectors with PnP adapters
- AEM 340lph fuel pump
- Grimmspeed TMIC

Drivetrain/Transmission/Suspension:
-Kartboy short throw shifter + bushing kit
- Rear Harness Bar

Mods in my shopping cart now:
- Grimmspeed downpipe with 38mm Turbosmart EWG
- IAG AOS
- IAG TGV deletes
- Killer B oil pan, pickup, baffle
- Forced Performance HTZ Green Turbo
- Grimmspeed TMIC Turbo outlet hose
- Killer B headers (undecided)
- ID 1300 injectors
- Engine Mounts

What else am I missing engine wise? I'm looking for any compatibility issues that my tuner could run into.
Any recommendations on changing or adding to my shopping cart?
Anyone have any similar mods that have mustang dyno numbers?
Doing a tranny swap, suspension, and brakes after of course.

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
I think you are getting in over your head a bit. Everyone wants that magical 400whp number, and don't take into account the dependability issues with the engine. Hell, my STi just through a rod with only 320whp. If you go through with this, make sure you have a good chunk of money set aside for when your stock engine goes.

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
Other than that though, your mod list doesn't look terrible. I would change a couple things. I would go with a tial wastegate over turbo smart. Unless for some reason your tuner recommends TS over tial. Also, I think that 1300cc injectors are overkill for 400whp. With flex fuel your 1050x's should be efficient enough. Also, the killer b holy header is a great choice and should be a definite mod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you are getting in over your head a bit. Everyone wants that magical 400whp number, and don't take into account the dependability issues with the engine. Hell, my STi just through a rod with only 320whp. If you go through with this, make sure you have a good chunk of money set aside for when your stock engine goes.
Missed a very important part. I have an IAG Stage 2 Tuff waiting in my garage. Hopefully that helps out alot with reliability lol. My tuner did recommned the TS over Tial though.

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
haha there ya go. That is a huge part of it. You should be okay then. You say a new tranny, I assume that you mean an STi tranny. I would get with your shop/tuner and see what clutch they recommend for the power you are aiming for.

Good choice on the block though. IAG is the best at what they do. I have been going to them for years. Been working with them over the last couple of weeks on my STi build. I was looking at the stage 2 tuff short block as well. Ending up going with the stage 2.5 closed deck though. I'm shooting for 500-550whp on pump gas.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha there ya go. That is a huge part of it. You should be okay then. You say a new tranny, I assume that you mean an STi tranny. I would get with your shop/tuner and see what clutch they recommend for the power you are aiming for.

Good choice on the block though. IAG is the best at what they do. I have been going to them for years. Been working with them over the last couple of weeks on my STi build. I was looking at the stage 2 tuff short block as well. Ending up going with the stage 2.5 closed deck though. I'm shooting for 500-550whp on pump gas.
I was about to get tilted for sec, because I thought I put that crucial info in there. Yes on the STI tranny though. With whatever clutch they recommend, I should be able to skip leg day at that point!

Did you go with a closed deck because of the HP goals you have?

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
Are you going to have your heads taken off your stock block and built too? Im having my heads ported/polished/resurfaced with 1mm larger exhaust and intake valves, and BC stage 3 280 degree cams.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you going to have your heads taken off your stock block and built too? Im having my heads ported/polished/resurfaced with 1mm larger exhaust and intake valves, and BC stage 3 280 degree cams.
Yessir, my tuner makes that almost mandatory for the heads when replacing the block. Not sure if he wants to make them bigger though. I'm thinking if I should hold off on the headers until and IF I get towards the high 400s....Whats your opinion on holding off on the headers? I'm in no rush, but I have parts that are just sitting around and its killing me! You have a beautiful car by the way!

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
IMO it is one of those as you are there things. They are going to have to remove the heads from your current block to put on the new block anyway. And at a minimum have them resurfaced and cleaned. If you are considering doing it in the future anyway you would save a lot of money in labor just having them do them while they are already off the engine the first time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IMO it is one of those as you are there things. They are going to have to remove the heads from your current block to put on the new block anyway. And at a minimum have them resurfaced and cleaned. If you are considering doing it in the future anyway you would save a lot of money in labor just having them do them while they are already off the engine the first time.
Good advice my friend. Since you the only one here, I'm still gonna bug you a little bit. What do you think of that turbo? My tuner was all about it tbh. He said that would max out my injectors for sure....as that turbo is for about 500 whp. Isn't that what a tune is for though? Hes who mentioned that I might want to upgrade to ID1300s....

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
Good advice my friend. Since you the only one here, I'm still gonna bug you a little bit. What do you think of that turbo? My tuner was all about it tbh. He said that would max out my injectors for sure....as that turbo is for about 500 whp. Isn't that what a tune is for though? Hes who mentioned that I might want to upgrade to ID1300s....
When I read your original post I was under the impression that you were aiming for 400whp and no higher, and all of that on a stock block. Which prompted my initial responses about reliability. Now that I know you have a built block and are probably building your heads I would say go ahead and switch to the ID1300's. They should be plenty of injector to get your car safely to upper 400's and maybe even touch that 500whp.

As for the turbo, I honestly didn't know much about the FP turbos. In fact, before I started talking with IAG I was looking at the Blouch dominator 3.5XTR. However, IAG said that they are junk and I should go with the FP red instead. After that I started researching and apparently FP turbos are great. The FP green is a little smaller than the red I am looking at getting, but for your goals the green should be an excellent turbo for your build.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I read your original post I was under the impression that you were aiming for 400whp and no higher, and all of that on a stock block. Which prompted my initial responses about reliability. Now that I know you have a built block and are probably building your heads I would say go ahead and switch to the ID1300's. They should be plenty of injector to get your car safely to upper 400's and maybe even touch that 500whp.

As for the turbo, I honestly didn't know much about the FP turbos. In fact, before I started talking with IAG I was looking at the Blouch dominator 3.5XTR. However, IAG said that they are junk and I should go with the FP red instead. After that I started researching and apparently FP turbos are great. The FP green is a little smaller than the red I am looking at getting, but for your goals the green should be an excellent turbo for your build.
Yep, that one was my bad! Left out the most important part ha. j

I love the idea of future-proofing my car. It would be annoying if I were to get a 20G or something...and then have to upgrade and re-tune it after a year if I get bored. Thats why I was aiming for something like the ID1300s and one of the FP turbos. I feel like if I want high 400s later on...it wouldn't be a problem (hopefully). Its so hard to take my time with this build. I want to rush it so bad, but I know that building it is the fun part.

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
Yeah man trust me I am right there with you. Unfortunately for me, my car is not drivable. Im shooting to have my build done by the end of next summer. Doing little things that are cheap to the STi over the winter. Then tax time start putting the big bucks towards the build itself. Be sure to keep us posted on here. Interested to see where the build goes man. It's exciting stuff!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah man trust me I am right there with you. Unfortunately for me, my car is not drivable. Im shooting to have my build done by the end of next summer. Doing little things that are cheap to the STi over the winter. Then tax time start putting the big bucks towards the build itself. Be sure to keep us posted on here. Interested to see where the build goes man. It's exciting stuff!
What happened with your car if you don't mind me asking? I'll definitely post updates on here.

·
BooSTIng
2,317 Posts
What happened with your car if you don't mind me asking? I'll definitely post updates on here.
Well kind of a long story. Ill keep it as short as possible. Was on my way home from buying the Honda and GF was driving the STi. All was good. Get off an exit to put gas in the STi and she was following. Came to a red light, light turned green I pulled out and pulled in to a gas station. About 5 minutes go by and she was no where to be seen. Got my phone and she had tried calling me a few times. Called her back, Subaru died at the light and wouldn't start.

Everything looked like an electrical issue. Either the battery, alternator, or starter. Tested the battery with a battery tester from a near by auto zone. Battery tested good. Got it towed home. A couple days later I swapped the battery from the Honda to the Subaru and got it to turn over. As soon as it started I heard a loud metal clanging sound. Rod knock. So here I sit now. Waiting to get it built.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 400 WHP STI. Your 1050's are fine for it, no reason to upgrade. I would deff upgrade to rails though. The only thing you still need is turbo, headers, FMIC and you will hit it on e85 fine. I would not recommend running 400 HP build on 93, as you risk the possibility of shooting a piston out. If you are going to run 93, get forged pistons installed. You do not need engine mounts unless you want them, or a new blow off value. It will hold, as you will hit 400 HP on 20 psi. I have the blouch dominator 1.5 turbo and hit 400 on 19 pounds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts