ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 WRX and I absolutely love the car. My only gripe is that the driver's seat is a little too low for me. I'm 6' 3" and my preferred driving position is to have the rear of the seat low and the front high so that it supports well under my legs. But with the WRX, I can't get the front of the seat high enough and so I have to kind of hold my legs in the right position while driving, which can wear my back out. While cruising I can just let my legs spread until they rest on the front of the seat but that's not horribly comfortable either.

I did test drive the car and I thought I was able to adjust the seat to a comfortable enough position but it would be perfect if I could just raise the front of the seat about 1/2". I've tried every adjustment on the seat. One annoying thing about the height adjustment is that when you adjust the seat upward, it also moves the seat forward and it feels like it raises the back more than the front. I've sat in many cars where this was the case. How hard is it to make all adjustments independent of each other?

I've looked at the seat mounts, wondering if there is any way to add a washer or spacer to raise the front of the seat but the front seat bolts enter at a 45 degree angle. Adding a washer or spacer would not allow the bolt to screw into the floor. Maybe there is some way to add a spacer between where the seat mounts to the rails?

Has anyone solved this issue or have any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
You could add a small spacer up front but youd need a longer bolt as well.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Not real sure if this is really a problem with the car. More that is doesn't meet your personal preference. Most of us would love to be able to fine tune the seat position in any car we drive, but without custom mounts, that is not an option.

You might be able to raise the front of the seat a bit by adding a few washers between the seat and the rails, but you are not likely to get 1/2 inch.....it is not likely that the bolts will be that long. you will likely need either new rails, or some custom machining done to get it right where you want it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You could always get foam added under the front part of the seat then get it re-upholstered. But that's talking $$. Then again most personal preference changes in these cars does.

·
Registered N00b
263 Posts
You could add a small spacer up front but youd need a longer bolt as well.
x2

couldnt think of any other solution, but remember not to cheap out on the bolts and torque them down properly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not real sure if this is really a problem with the car. More that is doesn't meet your personal preference. Most of us would love to be able to fine tune the seat position in any car we drive, but without custom mounts, that is not an option.

You might be able to raise the front of the seat a bit by adding a few washers between the seat and the rails, but you are not likely to get 1/2 inch.....it is not likely that the bolts will be that long. you will likely need either new rails, or some custom machining done to get it right where you want it.
I didn't mean to imply it was a problem with the car. A car company can't be expected to make a seat that will be perfect for any driver. All I'm saying is that for me, I'd be more comfortable with the front of the seat higher. If it can't be done, it's not a huge deal and I can live with it. I'm an engineer and I can't help looking for solutions :)

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
+1 for spacers.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I didn't mean to imply it was a problem with the car. A car company can't be expected to make a seat that will be perfect for any driver. All I'm saying is that for me, I'd be more comfortable with the front of the seat higher. If it can't be done, it's not a huge deal and I can live with it. I'm an engineer and I can't help looking for solutions :)
Here's an engineering solution: Get your legs shortened!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could always get foam added under the front part of the seat then get it re-upholstered. But that's talking $$. Then again most personal preference changes in these cars does.
My WRX is a base with cloth seats and I did contemplate having the dealer put custom leather seat covers which I did for my previous car, but decided to save money. I figured that I could always put leather in the car some time in the future. So the good news is if I do put the leather in, I could probably add some padding like you suggested. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an engineering solution: Get your legs shortened!
Long legs and being tall comes in handy though. But it is annoying to bump my head on signs hung too low in a building. About knocked myself out at a McDonalds once trying to refill my drink :)

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I'm quite a bit shorter but prefer that same "bucket" effect of the front seat that you mention. European cars seem to have this nailed but japanese and american brands never seem to get it right. Personally I'd spend a little and get a good upholstery shop to work the front of the seat for you. That way you're still mounting the seat securely to the floor and not sacrificing any safety aspects. Spacers and longer fasteners mean more leaverage on that point. That said I'm sure a solution could be developed while maintaining the strenght of the seat mounts.. but that may end up more spendy than having the seat foam/cover altered to fit you better.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just talked to Classic Soft Trim and I'll be taking my car to them to see what they can do about adding more bolstering. That would be the ideal solution since it would not affect any safety systems.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Nice, keep us posted! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts