ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all... i'm not new to the whole tuning thing... but I am new when it comes to the Subaru. I previously had 2 Evo's and I know that while the AP is an EXCELLENT tool to have, I am a few hours from CBRD who as most here will agree has a very good track record when it comes to tunings Subbie's and Evo's.

Would it be better to buy the AP and then have a protune? Or just go straight to CBRD to get the car tuned?

The reason I ask is that with the AP I can store the map and go right back to stock but with just the tune I can't. I know many may tell me to get the Tactrix cable and such, but i'm just not going through all that crap. I've been done that road before... i'd rather have it tuned and get it over with. No WB02's to hook up and deal with, no laptops to log endless hours on... etc.

Suggestions?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I know many may tell me to get the Tactrix cable and such, but i'm just not going through all that crap. I've been done that road before... i'd rather have it tuned and get it over with. No WB02's to hook up and deal with, no laptops to log endless hours on... etc.

Suggestions?
For cost purposes...I'd say you just answered your question right there :)

I had an AP, and while it was a great tool and got me to Stage 1, and Stage 2, and then loaded a Protune onto it...the 4th and final time I ever used it was to go back to stock when I got rid of my first STI. So how often are you really going to take the 10min to flash a map? Personally, I would have saved $600 if I had just gone for the Protune from the start.

But for the datalogging purposes (and cause you can do the same things as an AP, for much cheaper)...I would honestly go the Open Source/Tactrix route, as that's what your tuner would probably do anyway. Which brings me to another point...give your tuner a call and find out what he prefers. He may prefer one method of tuning over doing another.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im considering Sean ivey who is big with evos and is in nj. What sort of whp would I be looking at with a downpipes and the tune? Any other mods that really free up much restriction? I've just read that the dp is the worst part of the car as far as that was concerned.

·
Æternum
20,574 Posts
I would do the OpenSource tune with a Tactrix cable. I'd also be cautious going with a tuner that is not familiar with Subarus.

With the 2011/2012 WRX, a stage 2 pro-tune kisses the 290whp mark.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres a few tuners in md I can talk to. Iveytune does tune other cars. I just know of him from the Evo forums.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Would it be better to buy the AP and then have a protune? Or just go straight to CBRD to get the car tuned?
I'm not following you. If they are "Protuners" then you need the AP regardless. What method/engine management are you planing to use with CBRD?
The reason I ask is that with the AP I can store the map and go right back to stock but with just the tune I can't.
Once again,I'm not following. If they are using the AP then you can absolutely go back to stock. You have not even mentioned what mods are being done to the car.

I know many may tell me to get the Tactrix cable and such, but i'm just not going through all that crap. I've been done that road before... i'd rather have it tuned and get it over with. No WB02's to hook up and deal with, no laptops to log endless hours on... etc.
I think your a little confused. That would be remote tuning/E-tuning,which is also done with the AP. There are plenty of tuners that will dynotune your car using Opensource software and their own hardware (laptop and Tactrix cable). It's no different than say Ecutek. You just need to show up with your car and $$$$.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some pro tuners will tune with the cobb software and then you can keep the tune and unistall it.... you know how that works im sure. Modwise im just talking a tune and a down pipe. Id like to get to 300 whp. What other mods would be needed to get there?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok so 300 hp... what else do I need besides the downpipe? Intakes supposedly aren't much better than stock, and exhaust is pretty good from the cat-back.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm going to Agile for my tune which I believe is close to you?

I have roughly the same goal as you (300whp/330wtq) and my mods will be..

Cobb AP
Invidia catted tbe
Process West tmic
Perrin EBCS
Forge bov
Still on the fence about an intake before the tune. I still have an AEM from my 2011.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With the dp an tmic I would think you'd have no problem getting that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts