ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm completely new to Subaru and I can't wait for the arrival of my brand new 2012 SWP WRX Limited

Sedan:cool:. I have a few questions regarding the break-in and modding. First, is it safe to add some bolt ons and

run aCobb AP Stage 2 tune prior to break-in? ( keep in mind I will be keeping the RPMs low as suggested I just wanted

to get the install of parts done asap ) Second, if so which parts are appropriate? ( I've had 2 months to build up an

abundance of parts ) Third, How far can I stretch the Cobb OTS Stage 2 Map before requiring a Pro-tune? ( parts

capability wise. The last thing I want to do is damage my new car :shakehead:) I've done my research on the parts

I've purchased this far but I'm still new to Subaru and Id feel much better if i had some real advice from owners of the

same car:thumbup:. Appreicate any info you guys can give me here's a parts list so far:

Cobb Access Port
Grimmspeed Ported N Polished & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifold w/ Higflow cross pipe
Grimmspeed Ceramic Coated highflow up pipe
Grimmspeed ESBC - Hybrid set up with Universal Manual Boost control
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley
Grimmspeed Air Oil Separator
Grimmspeed 160 Degree thermostat
Grimmspeed gaskets ( full exhaust gaskets )
Invidia Q300 catback system w/ Titanium Tips
Invidia Catless Down pipe, Ceramic Coated by Grimmspeed
Process West Top Mount Intercooler
Turbosmart Dual port BOV

IMAG0187.jpg IMAG0189.jpg IMAG0206.jpg

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
I never get why people can't wait 1000 miles before they start modding. Alright, I get it, but come on - a little patience is in order. Break your car in properly before modding. It allows you to get to know your car well and identify any initial issues that exist that need attention BEFORE modding so the dealer can pay the cost instead of claiming it's your fault. It also allows you to get a better feel for the impact the mods have on your performance. Get your money's worth and do it right.

I would also suggest that with that list of mods you may want to skip the AP and get a pro-tune once they are installed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just wanted to say "Wow" and Congrats on the purchase.:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never get why people can't wait 1000 miles before they start modding. Alright, I get it, but come on - a little patience is in order. Break your car in properly before modding. It allows you to get to know your car well and identify any initial issues that exist that need attention BEFORE modding so the dealer can pay the cost instead of claiming it's your fault. It also allows you to get a better feel for the impact the mods have on your performance. Get your money's worth and do it right.

I would also suggest that with that list of mods you may want to skip the AP and get a pro-tune once they are installed.

Good luck!
+1

Like BDREX says just wait man so you can know your car before start with the MODS

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the verdict is in, I'll properly break her in before modding. The last thing I want to do is damage my car but I'm just super anxious and stoked to get my damn hands on it this wait is killer!

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Definitely wait until you've properly broke the car in, and then get a protune for these mods. No OTS map (Cobb or otherwise) can account for all of these mods. I also have a few comments about your choices:

Cobb Access Port - You can return it, unless the functionality of it (beyond flashing) makes it worth it to you.
Grimmspeed Ported N Polished & Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifold w/ Higflow cross pipe
Grimmspeed Ceramic Coated highflow up pipe - Why not EWG?
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley - You'll want either Gates or Grimmspeed's installation tool for this - GATES: Subaru Stretch Fit Belt - YouTube
Grimmspeed 160 Degree thermostat - Why? Will you be racing/autoxing?
Process West Top Mount Intercooler - Nice choice! :thumbup:
Turbosmart Dual port BOV - This won't fit under the hood with the PW TMIC (too tall). Ask me how I know. :tongue:

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Yeah, especially with the 2011s and 2012s, you need to follow the map notes that Cobb provides. If Stage 2 is for just a downpipe, just do the downpipe. If the Stage 2 map specifies downpipe and a specific type of intake, then just use those (Catbacks don't matter as they don't change power).

As suggested, WAIT before you put on any power changing parts til after break-in (you seem to have already figured that out :) )

If you really want to, adding just the Q300 CBE wouldn't hurt it in any way...that might satisfy you for like 20 miles :)

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely wait until you've properly broke the car in, and then get a protune for these mods. No OTS map (Cobb or otherwise) can account for all of these mods. I also have a few comments about your choices:

Cobb Access Port - You can return it, unless the functionality of it (beyond flashing) makes it worth it to you.
Grimmspeed Ceramic Coated highflow up pipe - Why not EWG?
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley - You'll want either Gates or Grimmspeed's installation tool for this - GATES: Subaru Stretch Fit Belt - YouTube
Grimmspeed 160 Degree thermostat - Why? Will you be racing/autoxing?
Process West Top Mount Intercooler - Nice choice! :thumbup:
Turbosmart Dual port BOV - This won't fit under the hood with the PW TMIC (too tall). Ask me how I know. :tongue:
First, I appreicate the feedback :wave:

2 reasons for AcessPort 1, from what I understand you can save the stock ECU settings and reflash when needed. 2 the shop I plan on getting a protune from states that AcessPort is required for 2007 and newer cars EFI Logics - Dyno Tuning and Services Page - Subaru, GT-R, Mitsubishi Tuning and more.
I did consider a EWG but from the little research I've done it isn't really required until you change or mod / PnP your factory turbo which I don't plan on doing anytime soon.
as far as the crank pulley goes I already purchased that tool, I saw that video and opted to get one.
The thermostat, no particular reason... just figured it may help with wear and tear keeping the temps on the low end.
Sucks to hear that about the BOV I know most people say they're more of a nuisance but I do like hearing that turbo spool up:woocow: If it gets annoying I'll always have the stock one on hand :thumbup:

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
That's interesting. I'd never heard that before in my life. But, EFI has a good rep from what I understand, so they will be able to tune you up fine.

An EWG isn't required for anything really, but you get better boost control and you can run higher boost on stock turbos with less risk of overboosting. It's a beneficial mod, especially for you since you're going beyond Stage 2 levels.

The BOV will only allow you to hear the turbo vent boost between shifts. Has nothing to do with spool. Intakes on the other hand allows you to hear the turbo spool up and the blow off from the BPV. So, consider returning the BOV for a recirculating BPV and get an intake to throw on when you get tuned.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
That's interesting. I'd never heard that before in my life. But, EFI has a good rep from what I understand, so they will be able to tune you up fine.

An EWG isn't required for anything really, but you get better boost control and you can run higher boost on stock turbos with less risk of overboosting. It's a beneficial mod, especially for you since you're going beyond Stage 2 levels.

The BOV will only allow you to hear the turbo vent boost between shifts. Has nothing to do with spool. Intakes on the other hand allows you to hear the turbo spool up and the blow off from the BPV. So, consider returning the BOV for a recirculating BPV and get an intake to throw on when you get tuned.
+2 ^ He's smart and stuff. :tongue: ...I didn't even catch the fact that there was no intake in the list. I'm slipping.

You should really consider the EWG Uppipe w/ 38mm Tial. Just to clarify, since you said you'd only "take it off if it gets annoying," you cannot use that BOV. It will be annoying as soon as you try to close your hood! Exchange it for the Forge Full Recirculating BPV or another very low profile BPV.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the info Mikie13,
Looks like I have some returning and reordering to do :rolleyes: I'm gettin SPT intake not sure how well it stacks up to Cobb or AEM. So EWG Grimmspeed Up Pipe with a 38mm Tial? Any Advice on Suspension Ive heard mixed reviews on BC Coilovers, I was going to opt for KW Coilovers V1s, V3s are too much $$ and I don't think they make V2s for my car. Anyone Currently using or know someone that is using KWs?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Thanks for the info Mikie13,
Looks like I have some returning and reordering to do :rolleyes: I'm gettin SPT intake not sure how well it stacks up to Cobb or AEM. So EWG Grimmspeed Up Pipe with a 38mm Tial? Any Advice on Suspension Ive heard mixed reviews on BC Coilovers, I was going to opt for KW Coilovers V1s, V3s are too much $$ and I don't think they make V2s for my car. Anyone Currently using or know someone that is using KWs?
Suspension recommendations are going to be based on your needs/preferences. Do you want a really stiff suspension? Or something more aggressive, yet comfotable enough for road trips? How much lower do you want to be? Are you Autoxing or daily driving? Coilovers are overkill for 90% of us.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
SPT intake should be good. I had one on my first STI (2007). It does the same thing as any of them.

38mm Tial should be plenty sufficient as well.

I have some friends rocking BC coils (3 different people) and they really like them. The ride isn't terrible, but its the ride of coils, so it's a bit harsher than an STI. KWs are supposed to be really good coils as well.

however, don't limit yourself to coils. Good spring/strut combos may be better suited for Daily Driveability.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Suspension recommendations are going to be based on your needs/preferences. Do you want a really stiff suspension? Or something more aggressive, yet comfotable enough for road trips? How much lower do you want to be? Are you Autoxing or daily driving? Coilovers are overkill for 90% of us.
I really don't want to slam the car I wanted to get a set of Rota Grids 18x9.5 looking at a 42ish offset although I can only seem to find 38 and maybe drop the car about an inch in the front and about 1/2 in the rear maybe not even that much. I want an aggressive set up that can handle DD if needed and not rattle my head while Cruising down the highway. I want it to work as good as it looks 100% practical, lower and aggressive looking but functional.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SPT intake should be good. I had one on my first STI (2007). It does the same thing as any of them.

38mm Tial should be plenty sufficient as well.

I have some friends rocking BC coils (3 different people) and they really like them. The ride isn't terrible, but its the ride of coils, so it's a bit harsher than an STI. KWs are supposed to be really good coils as well.

however, don't limit yourself to coils. Good spring/strut combos may be better suited for Daily Driveability.
Mikie13,
This is exactly the type of info I need:thumbup:. Coilovers are a lot of $$$ and before I take the leap of faith it would be in my best interest to do my homework to make sure I getting the best part for what I need. Is your car lowered? I really want the aggressive stance and look of a slightly lowered slightly wider rim / tire, with the least amount of ride quality compromise.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all! I'm completely new to Subaru and I can't wait for the arrival of my brand new 2012 SWP WRX Limited

Sedan:cool:. I have a few questions regarding the break-in and modding. First, is it safe to add some bolt ons and

run aCobb AP Stage 2 tune prior to break-in? ( keep in mind I will be keeping the RPMs low as suggested I just wanted

to get the install of parts done asap ) Second, if so which parts are appropriate? ( I've had 2 months to build up an

abundance of parts ) Third, How far can I stretch the Cobb OTS Stage 2 Map before requiring a Pro-tune? ( parts

capability wise. The last thing I want to do is damage my new car :shakehead:) I've done my research on the parts

I've purchased this far but I'm still new to Subaru and Id feel much better if i had some real advice from owners of the

same car:thumbup:. Appreicate any info you guys can give me here's a parts list so far:

Cobb Access Port
Grimmspeed Ceramic Coated highflow up pipe
Grimmspeed lightweight crank pulley
Grimmspeed 160 Degree thermostat
Process West Top Mount Intercooler
Turbosmart Dual port BOV

View attachment 103883 View attachment 103884 View attachment 103885
Ok first off Congrats! Now that that's over with, holy **** that's a lot of parts. I wish I could've gotten a **** load of parts when I got my car I'm totally jelly. Other than that good choice with the tmic that's the one I'm getting and I'm glad to hear you've decides to break in properly. The 1000 miles wont take that long I did it in about a 2 weeks. This just gives you an excuse to take a roadtrip lol. Have fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
Lokey - Have you had any issues with lowering springs and your struts? I'd like to drop my car and inch or a bit more, but have read lowering springs alone can cause issues.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Glad you're doing homework! As long as you aren't "Stance"ing or going Herrafrush, then you'll be fine :rotfl:

Unfortunately, I am not lowered at all. I'm still on my stock STI suspension. My rear struts are blown (common in 05 STIs, especially over 100k miles on the clock)...so probably within the year, I'll probably looking to get coils myself: probably a set of BCs or comparable. I don't mind a stiffer ride considering my ride is harsh as is now :rotfl:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
You should be looking at a high quality spring/strut combo instead of coilovers. You'll get much better components for the same money, and since the appearance is your primary concern, coilovers are a waste of money anyway.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts