ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was wondering if you tune your car then have a problem can you untune it and take it to the dealer .....will they know it was tuned ........im sure this has been answered but i cant find the thread

i was considering doing the stage one

·
Registered
120 Posts
This what i have heard... not 100% if its true. you can put back on the stock maps, but if subaru questions your ecu they can mail it to soa and they can run tests to see if it was ever changed. and if it is then youre kinda ****ed

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
read a couple diff threads and thats kind of what i have been getting was wondering if anyone has had problems with this with the dealer

·
Registered
120 Posts
personally, i wouldn't until the warranty is done. my friend literally called me an hour ago. was driving to san francisco and blew out his engine. i know it was from his tune because he doesnt get it done professionally. thats something to think about i guess.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my warranty is up so im saving for it. but im definitely going to a reputable tune shop. someone on here made me realize spending the extra 150 is worth not having a blown engine.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah im gonna go stage 2 with mine, but do it professionally tuned, i dont wanna risk ruining something

·
Registered
22 Posts
personally, i wouldn't until the warranty is done. my friend literally called me an hour ago. was driving to san francisco and blew out his engine. i know it was from his tune because he doesnt get it done professionally. thats something to think about i guess.
Not having it done professionally is usually the problem. Since I am "in the market" for a WRX, I've done a crap load of research on tuning and warranty problems. 80% of the "bad situations" that I have heard of are due to amateur/DIY tuners. I have also read about several instances where there is a tune professionally done and if the problem with the car is unrelated to the tune, the dealer doesn't care. I have also heard of a few instances where the pro tune company "untunes" and is undetected. At the other end of the spectrum, the DIY tunes usually cannot properly untune.

That is just the overall summation of what I have read so far. Set me straight if I am wrong.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that about what i have heard too.....id love to hear feedback if anyone has had trouble with the dealer after untuning it

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
that about what i have heard too.....id love to hear feedback if anyone has had trouble with the dealer after untuning it
from what ive heard its hit and miss, some dealers you can return to stock and they will fix the issues, others you can return to stock but if they link the problem to the aftermarket parts you used they can refuse service

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Not having it done professionally is usually the problem. Since I am "in the market" for a WRX, I've done a crap load of research on tuning and warranty problems. 80% of the "bad situations" that I have heard of are due to amateur/DIY tuners. I have also read about several instances where there is a tune professionally done and if the problem with the car is unrelated to the tune, the dealer doesn't care. I have also heard of a few instances where the pro tune company "untunes" and is undetected. At the other end of the spectrum, the DIY tunes usually cannot properly untune.

That is just the overall summation of what I have read so far. Set me straight if I am wrong.
There is pretty much zero difference in how well an amateur can put the car back to stock vs. a shop. Neither can do so perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts