Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was driving down the highway doing 70 at about 6,000 trying to build boost when all of a sudden I feel the car loose power and I look behind me and there is a huge cloud of what looked like white smoke behind me. I pull over. Look at the vehicle. There's oil coming out of the exhaust.... I decided to limp her home (3 miles or so), get home. Pull the downpipe with the idea that it could be the seals in the turbo! There's oil in both sides of the turbo! More on the hot side then cold though! Any ideas? Think it is the seals? Help please

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
Yeah, probably your turbo seals. I'm still sitting here trying to figure out how or why you were attempting to build boost at 6000 RPM.... that's almost red-line dude...

· Village Idiot
3,468 Posts
well yeah, but there is no need to be trying to build boost only 1,200 rpm away from redline, plus you're not going to be too successful doing so. The best boost is built between 3k-4.5k rpm. Either way, are you seeing any smoke out of the exhaust at idle? Did the car throw any codes? The most common thing to happen when you blow your turbo seal is to see coolant being burnt as it's less viscous than oil. or the discharge from the turbo into the exhaust is a sort of milky looking oil which is the result of oil and coolant mixing together.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok! Thank you! And at idle it was throwing out all kinds of smoke! Didn't idle right. Tried to die on me if I didn't keep giving it throttle. The coolant levels were fine not sure if it was burning any though! Know it was burning more oil then anything. The oil level was low! Didn't test for codes yet. Gunna do that. But a whole **** ton of warning lights where on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.