ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car in January, I didn't have the extra cash for winter wheels so I just went with tires. I've been looking at these Drag DR-34s in gold:

Wheel Details - Discount Tire Direct

I checked the tire size of my snows and come to find out they're just like the summers: 235/45/17. I've checked some sites to match rim width to tire sizes and found that for a 235/45/17 tire the range you'll want to stay within is 7.5-9 inches. These drag wheels are at the minimum being 17x7.5. I should be ok right? Oh and here's the only picture I could find of the DR-34s in gold on a Subie.

When these snows wear out I'll be sure to get a skinnier tire, something like 215 or 225. I just want a skinnier wheel to start with so I can downsize in the future. Thanks in advance for the opinions guys.

·
Registered
25,496 Posts
Yea you are right, but you aren't going to be "stretching" 205s on a 7.5 wheel.. The other question is are you going to drive hard and race around corners with snow tires on??? Doesn't make much sense.. Anyway.. I have falken ziex on my 2008 they are 205s which is the stock width for 08 and the tires are perfect for the wheels

·
Registered
316 Posts
You can't drive hard when there's snow and ice on the ground, so don't worry about that. When the roads are slippery there is a much higher risk of damaging the wheels, so just go with whatever wheels are cheap, easy to replace and fit the car.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,487 Posts
Wow not bad at all then. These look like very interesting wheels for someone with similar needs. Has the finish held up in Oregon?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have Hankook W300's 205/50 R17's mounted on Drag DR-33's 7.5" 45mm offset. They're not stretched at all. It's the widest wheel the tire will fit on. Looking at mine it looks like I still have a little buffer between wheel and curb. The rubber will impact before the wheel does.

Narrow winter tires rock btw! :woocow:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
The other question is are you going to drive hard and race around corners with snow tires on??? Doesn't make much sense..
You can't drive hard when there's snow and ice on the ground, so don't worry about that. When the roads are slippery there is a much higher risk of damaging the wheels, so just go with whatever wheels are cheap, easy to replace and fit the car.
The roads are most often dry in the winter and snow tires provide much better grip than summer tires because their tread compound is designed for cold temps and grips much better...

High quality snow tires >>>>>>> in the winter on dry roads than summer tires are.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
winter tires rock btw! :woocow:
That's what I'm saying!

The roads are most often dry in the winter and snow tires provide much better grip than summer tires because their tread compound is designed for cold temps and grips much better...

High quality snow tires >>>>>>> in the winter on dry roads than summer tires are.
And that was my primary concern. The more I research the more I think I'll be ok. No Gymkhana for me on dry pavement with grippy winter shoes!

via Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts