Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been cross shopping the 2011 Legacy GT vs. the 2011 WRX, which has been very difficult because there have not been any in the sate to test drive. This week i had the opertunity to tewst drive both back to back. Honestly I thought the LGT was fairly slow compared to the WRX. You would think since it has the same motor as the WRX and the STi transmission that it would be faster than what it felt. The power was definitely more linier, but there was no kick in the ass like in the WRX.

So here is the question. I know tha car weighs 236 pounds more but, with the same motor and the six speed shouldnt it feel about the same? Can you use the same access port to change the mapping to feel more lively in the GT. Whats the deal?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yea I drove a Spec B before and there was zero kick, good power, but zero kick... Seems odd I agree.

·
Pro Manscaper
14,901 Posts
All fairness aside, it is a bigger, heavier sedan. The transmission is not the STI transmission...it's an entirely different 6 speed with different gearing so I'm sure that takes away from it as well.

I too was searching for Spec Bs...but I'm very partial to the 2007s that look a little more raw...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think it also probably has something to do with what the target market of the car wants. My dad has a 07 Outback 2.5xt and while it has good power and a pretty decent kick when the turbo hits... it definitely doesn't feel as fast as my 03 WRX. It has an effortless feeling under acceleration, but not the RAWR! feeling of the WRX.

But that's what he's looking for... a more refined car that still has the power to effortlessly pass someone on the mountainous two lane highways around where we live. Seems like the same thing could be going on with the new LGT.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
6,611 Posts
I'd be surprised if the tune was different to give the LGT a smoother acceleration. The 06 I just picked up has a lot of kick to it but with the heavier car, noise deadening, and softer suspension it's miles and miles ahead of my WRX when it comes to having a refined "grown up" feeling. The leather and butt warmers aren't too bad either. When it goes stage 2 I'll definately have a better gauge of what that car can do.

·
In Æternum
16,316 Posts
I'd be surprised if the tune was different to give the LGT a smoother acceleration. The 06 I just picked up has a lot of kick to it but with the heavier car, noise deadening, and softer suspension it's miles and miles ahead of my WRX when it comes to having a refined "grown up" feeling. The leather and butt warmers aren't too bad either. When it goes stage 2 I'll definately have a better gauge of what that car can do.
The 06 is a much lighter car compared to the latest generation of LGT, however. I think the LGT gained something like 300 pounds between the two body styles...

·
6,611 Posts
The 06 is a much lighter car compared to the latest generation of LGT, however. I think the LGT gained something like 300 pounds between the two body styles...
It just needs more low is all.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I really dig the '07 spec B. Unfortunately people think they're worth more than the fair market value, at least in my area. Definitely tons of potential to be had with that car.

·
Pro Manscaper
14,901 Posts
I really dig the '07 spec B. Unfortunately people think they're worth more than the fair market value, at least in my area. Definitely tons of potential to be had with that car.
Yeah they hold their value like an STI does...kinda nuts!

But if you find one of the rare 06 Spec Bs...its gorgeous...subtle enhancements, but still has the 5 speed...but it has a SICK cinnamon leather interior.

·
6,611 Posts
I wish I could have come to find a spec b...i'll settle for the 06 LGT Limited though.

·
Banned
396 Posts
like said its not the same 6 speed as the STI. even if it was the 6 speed gearing to me isnt a kick in the pants tranny like the 5 speed. the layout however of the LGT is pretty sweet. since theres no up pipe and already has EL headers i think its going to be a monster once you start up grading and tuning. its still going to be a big boat though.

·
Premium Member
11,798 Posts
I test drove the 5spd spec B. I wasn't the biggest fan. The 6spd one I enjoyed more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had An 05 stgII loved it!!! wish i still had it, but the new WRX is a better all around car (compared to the 05) Suspention was always weak on the LGT the only time it was great was with the coilovers, but then it sucked as a daily driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok i had to join this forum just to clear some confusion in this thread. A lot of misinformation but let's start with where you are right:

yes, stock for stock 09+ WRX will rip any stock LGT in any straight line race. Less weight, better gearing with 5 speed (when vs. spec.b) and most of all VF52 vs. VF40/VF46. No competition here period. You guys hit 60 in 2nd gear while I am well in 3rd. The same goes for WRX vs. STI though. I don't know if you guys are aware that up to 100mph stock for stock 09+WRX will have any STI easily, given similar driver skill.

Now, where you got it wrong on spec.B:
1) SPEC.B has indeed the same transmmision as STI minus LSD with last 2 gears being taller. I can actually get 29MPG with 'Intelligent' map cruising around 70MPH. Same materials, casing, durability and first 4 gears.
2) it has aluminum control arms, inverted Bilstein struts and R180 rear torsen LSD, just like STI.
3) 06 spec b had identical short block as STI but 5MT so in my eyes too close to standard LGT

Comes with vf40 turbo up to 06 and VF 46 07+ just like regular LGT.
Than some cosmetics. Alcantra/leather seats in 07+ and full leather in 06.
In terms of drivetrain it is closest to STI of any subarus. Spec b has one LSD, STI has 3.

As any subaru, LGTs are dramatically detuned from factory so stage one 6MT LGT will be pretty close if not dead even with stock STI in a straight line. Same gearing up to 4th gear, similar weight. Bigger turbo on STI but so severely detuned it's not even funny.

Now, my question for you guys: does 2011+ WRX has LSD in rear, if so what kind , thank you.

·
In Æternum
16,316 Posts
1) SPEC.B has indeed the same transmmision as STI minus LSD with last 2 gears being taller.
The Spec. B and the STi share the same transmission case, but that's where the similarities end. However, due to utilization of the superior 6MT case and bearing design, the Spec. B transmission will hold far more torque than any 5MT produced by Subaru.

Now, my question for you guys: does 2011+ WRX has LSD in rear, if so what kind , thank you.
There is no rear LSD. Subaru's largest folly with the 2008+ WRX IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it's mind blowing how manufacturers come up with specs for their cars. Any LGT including a groccery getter AT wagon has LSD and WRX their performance oriented car doesn't ???!! Can you transplant r160 or r180 into WRX?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts