ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people! I was just wondering, does anybody knows how much hp or psi can the stock intercooler hold up? I want to upgrade my 2011 wrx stock TMIC but only when necessary...if there's anyway i can test mine, just tell me and i'll test it and post results! Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
i wouldnt push past 18psi on one, those plastic ends wont hold past 18-19psi. Get the process west tmic if you do decide to upgrade, that thing is a beast :). How are you planning to tune it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
In 99% of cases that involve the stock plastic endtanks blowing off, installation error is most the common cause, i.e the aluminum folds not properly holding the endtanks, being bent, too thin etc.

I spoke to Eric at Torqued Performance about this very issue, and he told me that he ran his at 22psi for over 2 years with no problems on the stock tmic. I personally have two buddies, one who works at my local Subaru shop, who have run 19-21 psi since 2009 with no issues. If you dont want to fork over a grand for the process west, and only plan on staying at stage 2, I would look at doing whats called the 'Bulletproof' TMIC mod. Google it and you will see what I mean. It will cure any worries about the endtanks coming off. If you are interested, pm me and I can email you the specs and drawings so that you can make your own :)

Good luck with it anyways man!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've been running the VF52 on my 08 WRX with the stock tmic at 20 psi with no issues. I haven't been able to dyno, but I passed my friend's 308 hp MS3, which I could never do before the turbo upgrade. All you need is a proper tune, and make sure you're not overboosting. I have the TP stage 2.52 map on my car, but I had plenty of overboost issues with Cobb's OTS maps, sometimes up to 24 psi, causing fuel cuts and hard deceleration.

J_Maher_WRX's suggestion might be a good idea if you're worried about this happening to you. I've been thinking about upgrading lately, but for the little amount of driving I do, and even lesser racing, I might wait a little.

You might also want to check psi ratings for the stock BOV if you're not planning on changing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've been running the VF52 on my 08 WRX with the stock tmic at 20 psi with no issues. I haven't been able to dyno, but I passed my friend's 308 hp MS3, which I could never do before the turbo upgrade. All you need is a proper tune, and make sure you're not overboosting. I have the TP stage 2.52 map on my car, but I had plenty of overboost issues with Cobb's OTS maps, sometimes up to 24 psi, causing fuel cuts and hard deceleration.

J_Maher_WRX's suggestion might be a good idea if you're worried about this happening to you. I've been thinking about upgrading lately, but for the little amount of driving I do, and even lesser racing, I might wait a little.

You might also want to check psi ratings for the stock BOV if you're not planning on changing it.
what kind of setup are you running? I'm interested to hear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
what kind of setup are you running? I'm interested to hear.
I'm running the VF52 on the 08 WRX with stock fuel pump, stock injectors, stock tmic, stock BOV, brand-less 2-section catless downpipe, stock midpipe and exhaust, and a K&N Typhoon, with Torqued Performance's stage 2.52 map @ 11.5 AFR. I adjusted AFR to 11.5 and Eric from TP adjusted timing to prevent knocking. As it comes, the TP map has AFR set at 10.5, but testing it on the street gave between 10.0 and 10.3.

Set my rev limiter at 6900rpm, and at those AFR's you'll notice the difference after 5500 rpm. Eric was very helpful and patient and he will always tell you what to look for if you'll be making some tuning on your own.

·
Registered
37 Posts
nice, im running his stage 1 atm, i was wondering why you were running the stage 2.52 but 08 and vf52 didnt click right away. I'll be buying a cobb catted dp soon and going to his stage 2 very soon hopefully :/

·
Registered
27 Posts
nice, im running his stage 1 atm, i was wondering why you were running the stage 2.52 but 08 and vf52 didnt click right away. I'll be buying a cobb catted dp soon and going to his stage 2 very soon hopefully :/
Due to my great experience with his stage 2.52 map, I'm already looking into the upgrades for the stage 3.52.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Save your money. the other OP run stock everything on stock. Just dont boost over 20. 22 are pushing it. If anything, that stock plastic bvp would melt.

By the way, your stock bov is actually a bpv. not BOV. BPV is recir. BOV is atmospheric which in turn is doggy poopy doo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts