ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting some Tien Super Sport coils for my 11 WRX and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them, either good or bad. Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used Tein S-Techs springs on stock shocks on my Civic Si. They handled fairly well. I put over 30k miles and didn't have any issues with blown shocks. I was going to use Tein springs on my 2011 WRX but I ended up going the coilover route. I wanted the adjustability.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
What do you use the car for? Personally I wouldn't buy the Teins. Unless you race you do not need nor should you get coilovers. Instead look at getting a quality strut and spring (KYB or Tokico struts and some RCE springs)

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^^
So you're saying that only track cars should have coilovers? What is your reasoning behind that? I believe that most people choose against coilovers because of either the price or the assumption that the ride quality is too stiff for daily driving. Choosing the right coilover set up has the benefit of adjustability when changing wheel and tire sizes. Getting that perfect stance is equally important to some as ride quality is.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Unless your lookin for stance, the problem with coilovers is that your going to be spending $2,000+ for a decent set of coilovers. You can get a set of springs/struts/sways/end links and bushings for that and the car will ride better and perform probably better than coilovers out of the box. The other issue with coilovers is the adjustabity. Most people do not know how to set up a suspension so they spend the cash and go racing to find they need to constantly change them and are unhappy. Having a race prep car myself with coilovers I can assure you springs for daily driving is much more comfortable.

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^^ Great input. I'm one of those people that wouldn't know how to adjust all the settings on coilovers. That's why I went with a set of Tanabe Sustec Pro-S0C for my 2011 WRX wagon. Those coilovers only have ride height adjustability. Ride height and comfort was the only thing that I was concerned with. My car is a daily driver and will probably never set foot on a track. I just want to be able to dial in my ride height exactly where I want it when I change wheel and tire sizes. So far, these coils ride great. Nice and comfortable on the street and are more stable during aggressive driving. No more gap between the fender and tire and no rubbing =)
I'm thinking of a adding on a set of front and rear sways next.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
How hard do you drive the car on the street? Personally I wouldnt really waste the money on sway bars if your not going to track the car.. You would be better spending your money cheaper on a set of OEM sway bars off the STi Spec C and kartboy end links.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My commute from work to home consists of a 6 mile drive each way. I do like to get on the freeway on ramps pretty fast (they are pretty long and curvy) and I do drive through the twisty canyons around my house occasionally. I'm not a gear slammer, so I'm not hard on the car that way, but I do like to push the car. The coilovers I installed were a huge difference from the stock suspension, but the car still doesn't feel as planted and stable as I think it could be. I was thinking of getting Whiteline sway bars. I normally would get Cusco, but for the price it seems that I can almost get both the front and rear Whiteline bars for the price of only the rear Cusco bar.
I'm new to the Subie world but not new to modifying cars. I've had plenty of fully built cars in the past. I figured I'd try the AWD turbo route this time around.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a pretty spirited driver and I thought about new struts and springs but like Vroom said, I am looking for something more adjustable than a strut/spring combo. Having already done my sways and endlinks with whiteline bars and kartboy endlinks front and back, I am now looking for a good set of coils but haven't seen many options out for the '11 WRX.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can tell you that when I was looking at taking my WRX to STU class for SCCA the recommendation was either:
Koni shocks, RCE yellow springs
or
custom valved AST coilovers

Mind you this was from Turn in Concepts so I at least trust the recommendation.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I'm a pretty spirited driver and I thought about new struts and springs but like Vroom said, I am looking for something more adjustable than a strut/spring combo. Having already done my sways and endlinks with whiteline bars and kartboy endlinks front and back, I am now looking for a good set of coils but haven't seen many options out for the '11 WRX.
TiC SST GH/GE Coilovers - 5x100 application

1 - 11 of 11 Posts