Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven a 2002 M3 convertible with SMG (dual-clutch 6 speed automatic) for the last 8 years and I've been actively looking to replace it for the last 2 years. Not due to any short-comings of the M3. Quite the contrary, I have great difficulty replacing it. My criteria for the M3's replacement, besides the obvious handling and performance, is all wheel drive and "hatchback" AND a dual-clutch automatic. The all wheel drive is to deal with the snow at Lake Tahoe, The hatchback is to deal with my two dogs and room for gear, the dual-clutch automatic is to deal with my wife. At this moment in time only the Audi A3 sort of meets the criteria, minus the performance and handling part.

I've coveted the STi ever since they released the hatchback, sportback, 5 door...whatever you want to call it. It's only shortcoming for me is the manual transmission. I know some of you are saying "wuss" right now, but frankly I (like my wife) just don't want to deal with a clutch. I'm sure many will disagree, but most current dual-clutch automatics with kick ass over their manual counterparts, and make us "wanna-bes" look like pros in the process.

So, I've been hearing rumors ever since Mitsubishi introduced their Ralliart sportback with a dual-clutch that Subaru was going to follow suit shortly. Well I'm still waiting...but now the dealers are even spreading the rumors of an automatic due this fall (maybe winter?), and not just on the STI but the WRX as well. But they can't confirm it. There are a few articles that support this notion, but none claim dual-clutch and one even suggests a 5 speed, which concerns me that they're going to put their old slush-box in it. That would be a travesty!

Does anyone out there have any real information?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
As far as I know they don't offer an automatic in the wrx's since 08... they had the short lived impreza gt that had the old 4eat in it... I'm sure that they will eventually put 1 in there cause subaru has been aimming for a bigger buyer base ever since 08... so id check online and see if you can order 1... good luck in your search...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rowing your own is NOT the most optimal way to do things.

However, rarely in life is the optimal solution the most fun way to get things done.

I harbor no resentment to those that prefer automatic. I just don't want to see my 3 pedals go the way of the dinosaur. I clutch, therefore I am.

As far as your question goes, I am sure they will. 2012? I'm not sure but I would be surprised if we don't see flappy paddles in the next few years.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Rowing your own is NOT the most optimal way to do things.

However, rarely in life is the optimal solution the most fun way to get things done.

I harbor no resentment to those that prefer automatic. I just don't want to see my 3 pedals go the way of the dinosaur. I clutch, therefore I am.

As far as your question goes, I am sure they will. 2012? I'm not sure but I would be surprised if we don't see flappy paddles in the next few years.
+1,000,000

It would be nice to have a little variety, but they should never get rid of manuals... it makes you feel more involved when driving, automatic drive like walking with a dead leg... yes the dual clutch autos can shift faster and smoother then the manuals, but that takes very little effort and skill to do... I love being able to downshift and dump on the gas w/o feeling the fumble that autos provide... I've driven paddle shifter cars and some won't even let you redline it and shift for you anyway... I'm sure they will have more mechanical issues too... I bought my wrx for the raw driving experence and performance in a DD, if I wanted a car with "auto pilot" I would've bought something else... I just hope that subaru will stick to the wrx's roots and not pull an evo with their mr edition w/o a 6speed manual option and make them slower...

·
The Default One
2,386 Posts
Damnit Audi, bring the S4 Avant to the States!

How big are your dogs? If they are medium or bigger you might want to steer clear of the Lancer Sport back, there really isn't much room aft of the seats. I mean just look at the profile pictures.
I've heard the Dual Clutch in the Mitsubishi's is good at the stock HP, but they don't handle mods well.

Have you looked at the latest 535xi wagons?

OHH! CTS Wagon!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Jeremy-
The dogs are each over 90 lbs so it would be a squeeze. To be honest, I was just using the Ralliart Sportback example as a subtle rub regarding Subaru's delayed reaction to Mitsubishi's dual-clutch transmission. I have driven the Ralliart dual-clutch and actually didn't like it all that much. As was pointed previously it won't go to redline and shifts for you if you don't. BMW's SMG is far better feel and it never "fumbles" (although it can be harsh in the maximum sport setting) and the car redlines at ~8200 RPM so not a fair comparison to the Ralliart.

As for engines, I do want to downsize to a 4 cylinder. Although the "economy" isn't all that much better than the M3, it's moving in the politically correct direction. Psychologically, with the WRX or the STi I feel better without giving up too much performance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
+1,000,000

It would be nice to have a little variety, but they should never get rid of manuals... it makes you feel more involved when driving, automatic drive like walking with a dead leg... yes the dual clutch autos can shift faster and smoother then the manuals, but that takes very little effort and skill to do... I love being able to downshift and dump on the gas w/o feeling the fumble that autos provide... I've driven paddle shifter cars and some won't even let you redline it and shift for you anyway... I'm sure they will have more mechanical issues too... I bought my wrx for the raw driving experence and performance in a DD, if I wanted a car with "auto pilot" I would've bought something else... I just hope that subaru will stick to the wrx's roots and not pull an evo with their mr edition w/o a 6speed manual option and make them slower...
+1
Long live the manual transmission!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts