ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If I'm missing anything that would give me good safe power gains at this level please let me know :thumbup:

Process West TMIC $980 (best option out there?)
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS $120
Fuel Pump walbow 255 $100
Injectors DW 850cc $410 (my tuner likes the 850's rather then 1000's even tho there same price)
Protune $350

GrimmSpeed Ceramic Coated Uppipe $180 (after researching I saw our stock uppipes are catless already so is a aftermarket one worth it?)

I read that BOV's are not worth it but how about a BPV or EWG (or are they noise makers that don't really make more power?)

Current mods:

Cobb Accessport
Cobb Downpipe
SPT Catback Exhaust
AEM Cold Air Intake

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
That looks like a solid list. You'll even be well prepared for a modest turbo swap with that setup.

Add a BPV, and that should do it. They don't "make" power, they allow more. That pos stock plastic BPV is known to leak >16psi.

I'm also considering/debating the GS uppipe with 38mm EWG. You'll get quicker spool with it, but negligible power gains. As it stands, I think I'll wait until I do a turbo swap later on.....depends on the results of filing my taxes. :)

....oh, and check out the DW65C fuel pump. Come install time, you or your shop will be thankful you did. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69xylsC3uT8

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
SPT2011 said:
Process West TMIC $980 (best option out there?)
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS $120
Fuel Pump walbow 255 $100
Injectors DW 850cc $410 (my tuner likes the 850's rather then 1000's even tho there same price)
Protune $350
Have they tried ID1000s?

SPT2011 said:
GrimmSpeed Ceramic Coated Uppipe $180 (after researching I saw our stock uppipes are catless already so is a aftermarket one worth it?)
For the effort of install, I would not bother with an aftermarket non-EWG uppipe

SPT2011 said:
I read that BOV's are not worth it but how about a BPV
See:
lokey said:
Add a BPV...That stock plastic BPV is known to leak
SPT2011 said:
lokey said:
I'm also considering/debating the GS uppipe with 38mm EWG. You'll get quicker spool with it, but negligible power gains. As it stands, I think I'll wait until I do a turbo swap later on.....depends on the results of filing my taxes. :)
Peak gains, maybe not. Area under the curve, however, it's worth it. EWG plots don't taper off significantly like IWG ones do.

lokey, in your case, I wouldn't pay for another tune just for the EWG. Add a set of ELH, EWG, and injectors, and I'd say go for it.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
lokey, in your case, I wouldn't pay for another tune just for the EWG. Add a set of ELH, EWG, and injectors, and I'd say go for it.
Thanks, man. I agree. Having to pay for another protune is another reason I'm waiting until after I swap the turbo. I'm happy for now.

Yeah, I've been eye-balling this thing for a little bit - GTSpec Gen II Unequal Length Exhaust Manifold w/ 44mm External Wastegate Uppipe Subaru Turbo Models (inc. 2002-2012 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Spend the money on EL or not at all. UEL/EL are the same price, so they may be willing to substitute for you.
Yeah, I tried to find a package deal for EL and EWG uppipe....to no avail. Maybe a call would help.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
new list

Process West TMIC
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
Fuel Pump walbow 255
Injectors DW 850cc
COBB XLE Bypass Valve
Protune

how much whp with this setup around? over 320?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
SPT2011 said:
new list

Process West TMIC
Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
Fuel Pump walbow 255
Injectors DW 850cc
COBB XLE Bypass Valve
Protune

how much whp with this setup around? over 320?
What dyno?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
knew someone would ask that... I'm not sure I just wanted to know an average of how much power. Id assume a mustang dyno cuz that's use by most.

I first though making power in our cars is easy but its really not. So much money to invest in our cars by the time Im where I want to be I could of bough a car that came with that much power stock!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
knew someone would ask that... I'm not sure I just wanted to know an average of how much power. Id assume a mustang dyno cuz that's use by most.

I first though making power in our cars is easy but its really not. So much money to invest in our cars by the time Im where I want to be I could of bough a car that came with that much power stock!
First - I personally believe some of your mods haven't added to your power, but are good steps to handling a larger turbo where you will see much more gains. From your mod list, you would have seen almost the same power gains by just installing a new downpipe and getting tuned. Your stock IC, ECBS, fuel pump, up-pipe, and injectors can handle the down-pipe + tune without limiting you just fine.

Second - If you do upgrade to a larger turbo, I think you will find your transmission will not handle it very well - you may find it failing on you with that much additional power (if you drive it/launch it hard).

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
First - I personally believe some of your mods haven't added to your power, but are good steps to handling a larger turbo where you will see much more gains. From your mod list, you would have seen almost the same power gains by just installing a new downpipe and getting tuned. Your stock IC, ECBS, fuel pump, up-pipe, and injectors can handle the down-pipe + tune without limiting you just fine.
Stock intercooler is junk and would be a limiting factor. The EBCS is more of a safety/control issue; it provides much more solid boost control and allows the tuner get more aggressive with the tune. The fuel pump is not needed yet. Depending on how far you go with this setup, you may not need the injectors yet. I'm at 92% duty cycle on my stock injectors @ 20.5 psi max.

OP - Add ngk one-step-colder plugs to the list.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So fuel pump and injectors can be done last on my mod list? Good to know.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts

·
Banned
664 Posts
Needed to add a few things

An IC and BPV are needed so you can run more boost. This will add power. An IC is also needed because it will cool more and more timing can be run, more timing= more power. You asked If the PW is best out there? Answer is no. A FMIC can be run off the vf52 as it flows "about" what an 18g flows (38-39lb/min). most kits come with both STI and lgt style piping so you can run whatever turbo you want in the future. A FMIC again on the vf52 is very very good. When I installed it only, my dyno numbers never touched my TMIC numbers! Lag is BS for a FMIC and a vf52 (a td04 I can see it happening).

Lokey call Perrin, ask for a returned el header. I got mine $250 shipped with about 1000 miles on it because former owner said the slip joints leaked. For $250 you can weld the piss out of it and keep on welding any cracks that may form because let's face it, it's a $800 header for $250! Also, saying your IDC is only 92% at 20psi isn't a great way to say that. By the time you have to start tapper your only at 60-70%. That 92% at redline I bet you're only pushing 14.5psi, 15.5psi if you had a ewg and EL because better flow lowers the stress on everything. As long as you taper down to 14's psi you can run 24psi off the stock injectors.

For injectors and pump I say do them now. Without them your looking at 14-15psi where you make your top power. With them your looking at 16-17psi which will be another 10-20hp easy. With stock UP I was at 14.5psi at 90% IDC I believe. With ewg I was at 15.5psi at 94% IDC and with EL I was still at 94% and everytime I gained lots of power. Currently I'm at 16.5psi at 80% on 750cc DWs

For for the tranny many are running 400+ TQ and drag racing them. You have to know how to drive and it will be ok. 3rd gear doesn't fail in these like they used to!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Stock intercooler is junk and would be a limiting factor. The EBCS is more of a safety/control issue; it provides much more solid boost control and allows the tuner get more aggressive with the tune. The fuel pump is not needed yet. Depending on how far you go with this setup, you may not need the injectors yet. I'm at 92% duty cycle on my stock injectors @ 20.5 psi max.

OP - Add ngk one-step-colder plugs to the list.
Is the stock IC for a WRX worse than it used to be for the 07 and earlier models?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Lokey call Perrin, ask for a returned el header. I got mine $250 shipped with about 1000 miles on it because former owner said the slip joints leaked. For $250 you can weld the piss out of it and keep on welding any cracks that may form because let's face it, it's a $800 header for $250! Also, saying your IDC is only 92% at 20psi isn't a great way to say that. By the time you have to start tapper your only at 60-70%. That 92% at redline I bet you're only pushing 14.5psi, 15.5psi if you had a ewg and EL because better flow lowers the stress on everything. As long as you taper down to 14's psi you can run 24psi off the stock injectors.
Thanks, man. I love being wrong and getting a good suggestion from one my not-so-favorite members. Point for you for rising above. :cool: I've taken the advice of EJ257 andd and am currently looking at EL headers. The only problem is finding a good compatible ELH and EWG setup/combo. I'm not big on retro fitting or welding, so they've got me there.

As for IDC, I was giving my max just to let the OP know where he stands on the stock injectors through the whole curve.

24 psi? Come on man. On the stock VF, you're just about nothing but hot air at that point. Time to step it up to a 20G. :tongue:

·
Banned
664 Posts
Well the Perrin and GS go together. The in/out let's are both like 1.9" and the gasket is 2". Only issue was mine didn't leak at the slip joint, perrin just built it wrong. It was 1/2" from meeting the UP so I had to make a thick copper gasket and use 2 OEM gaskets to fill the space. Also used RTV copper silicone and 2 cars 20k leak free. Pissed me off they told me wrong but again, 250! I will say the welds suck too on the inside, looks like boogers. The out side is good and now they counter sink the tube into the flanges so it's seem less. For over all look and smoothness I'd have to go GTspec. But for the price it's to much and boogers arnt gonna kill power.

24psi below 4500rpm is fine. Right now I'm tapering 20.1 at 5000, so if I taper 24 to 20 the heat goes away, or it should. From 2-5 I have maybe a 2-3* increase. Great thing about blow throw is I know just how hot the air will be! Right now the charge goes up 10* from 2-6k. In the summer I'm sure it will be more but tapering down at 16.5psi will keep the heat down where it counts and timing is high.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what are the good FMIC for the 11 wrx perrin? Also can the fog lights still be intact or will they not fit with the FMIC? And a FMIC obviously works with the AEM intake correct? or do u need a short ram?

·
Banned
664 Posts
I dont like the Perrin layout because it runs clockwise. It adds like 2-3 feet extra pipe. My turbo xs is nice and fms is a good copy. Both though run the hot pipe down into the fender well so the AEM heat shield can't be used. Also I think the filter is just to big. Look at kstech, on his descriptions of intakes he did all the work saying what intakes fit what FMIC. None of the other years had problems with OEM fogs but I can't say if that's true on the 11 as mine doesn't have fogs.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts