ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think this will get more exposure here and I will be fallowing up with a DIY soon for anyone interested.

So I have always wanted the STI side mirrors because of the side marker and turn signal that is built into them but I did feel like spending the money on them. This is my solution to that. Total cost was under $30 ($28 ish). Install took me about 2 hours because I took my time to make it as clean as possible. It looks like there might be some burnt out LEDs on the driver side but they are not, they are just being blocked by the plastic grille. I cut out the smaller grille pieces so the LEDs were not blocked but I did not cut the big grille pieces.

Connect the positive wire of the LED strip to the red wire going into the turn signal bulb if you want the LED strip to illuminate only when the turn signal is on. Connect the positive wire of the LED strip to the green wire if you want the LED strip to turn on and stay on when ever your parking nights are on and then flash when the turn signal is turned on. Connect the negative wire from the LED strip to the black wire going into the turn signal.

The battery must be removed or unmounted from the tie down to do the driver side and the air box must be removed to do the passenger side. Other then that its pretty straight forward, just run the wires where ever they need to go in order to get them to the turn signals. I covered my wires with tech flex and heat shrink tubing.

This is how I fished the wires thru the fenders.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
Interesting!

·
Registered
759 Posts
THAT. Is. Seriously. Awesome.

Wow. :thumbup:

Kudos.

I'm all about the little subtle changes that really set a car apart from the rest of the cookie-cutters. Wouldn't be too hard I guess then, too, to make a strip of slightly dimmer red ones and wire to the fog lights... Hmmm...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks pretty clean, I like it. Nice DIY

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Im working on something like that but i got the two color led so white driving lights and then amber for a turn signal. I was also toying with the two color led strips in the hood scoop and have it all white but then half amber when turning but might be considered a little "ricy" (also I would want a larger intercooler instead of the stock one)

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Is it wrong that I've never even noticed I have turn signals in my mirrors?

Nice DIY and instructions!

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's a great looking and functional mod ... I like it. My only question ... is that actually a functional vent for the engine bay? I was told it was, but couldn't figure it out by looking at your picture with the piece/vent off the car.

If it's not ... I may think about doing that for the safety aspect. I too like the STI side mirror for that reason.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I vaguely recall that those side vents are functional for the STI, but cosmetic for the WRX. I will have to confirm that later though (I just remember seeing it in another thread..)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I vaguely recall that those side vents are functional for the STI, but cosmetic for the WRX. I will have to confirm that later though (I just remember seeing it in another thread..)
Yeah, the dealer told me that it was a functional vent ... not sure if those two cut outs (one big and one small) pipe out tons of heat or not :)

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Just from looking at it, I doubt those vents serve any real performance purpose on the WRX. you'd have to take them off on the STI and see what it looks like. If it looks the same then it's probably just cosmetic.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The fender gaps for the STI are the same as the WRX. the part number is identical.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Happy thread resurrecting!

"Connect the positive wire of the LED strip to the green wire if you want the LED strip to turn on and stay on when ever your parking nights are on and then flash when the turn signal is turned on. Connect the negative wire from the LED strip to the black wire going into the turn signal."

Just got my LEDs for Christmas :) so lemme see if I understand...

I turn on the headlights. These come on, right?
With the headlights on and these lights on, I turn on the turn signal and that side blinks, right?
Turn the headlights off and turn the turn signal on, these blink - right?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts