Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I highsided my 2011 subaru wrx driving into a thick snow mound and had to use a buddies winch to get me out. I don't know if it's a coincidence, but whenever I am pulling into a parking spot and having to turn the steering wheel hard I get a rough idle and the engine bogs down (doesn't stall). If I am parked and turning the steering wheel just in place it does the same thing.

I don't have any issues when I am driving. I've checked the power steering fluid and it's at the right level. On a side note, about a month prior I had my 80k mile service and nothing was pointed out that could have caused this.

Any ideas on what it could be or too look out for?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Couple things I can think of off the top of my head is a metal line down on/near the rack'n'pinion got pinched, kinked, or otherwise restricted when you hit/got pulled off the snow mound. I'd look there first. For the most part unless driving aggressively, the power steering system sees the highest loads under low speed turns or parking situations, so a restricted line wouldn't necessarily be a problem at speed during normal driving operations.

Does it seem to be harder to make fast turns and/or make the classic pump noise afterwards? If so that would further make me think a line is restricted as less possible volume flow and aerated fluid would occur.

Either that or you still have a chunk of hard packed snow or ice rubbing on something that normally moves when steering, but I assume it would have either melted or you would have noticed when checking it out. I've often had customers bring cars into the shop during the winter complaining of steering system issues and my answer is usually cleaning the snow pack out of the wheel wells because the tires rub on them causing more issues than the customer even realizes. Same with vibrations... Clean the snow out of the inside of the wheels and problem solved 😆

Or on the opposite end, the winch got hooked to your car in a really bad spot and caused your issue by bending or tweaking a steering component, but that seems pretty unlikely as they are harder to get to than the proper tow hook spots on either end of the car.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if and when you find/resolve your issue 🤘

1 - 2 of 2 Posts