ClubWRX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stage 2. The 2009 is stock sans the CAI minus a tune which concerns me.

I drove and it handles like a dream. Even with the considerable handlin mods on my 2011 WRX it was even the same. It's comparable but the STi just was so responsive. And I love the big brakes!

Anyways, this is less about STi envy and more about hatch envy! I can get them down from 31K to probably 26500 and I get 23 for mine. There are 19k miles on mine. And there are 40 on the STi

Im assuming my sways and DP and COBB CAI would transfer but I am sure I need another AP and another tune.

Thoughts? Comments? Anything helpful to add would be greatly appreciated. I posted this on NASIOC and really just got flamed to a degree.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Don't do it.

·
Premium Member
13,124 Posts
40k on an 09? no thanks. you have a 'brand new' car. keep it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not worth it.

The STI doesn't handle better than your WRX. It weighs considerably more, has massive amounts of unsprung weight because of those rediculous brakes, and doesn't make any more power than your WRX in stock trim and up to and including stage 2.

The only thing that the STI does better than your WRX is that it can put power down out of a corner because of its LSD's. And even then, its unlikely that you will every drive the car hard enough on the street to be able to make use of those LSD's. Also, the STI has been using inferior LSD's since 07. You'd be better off and you'd save a ton of cash to either add proper LSD's to your 5mt, or buy an 04-06 6mt and swap it in.

As for 'hatch envy', personally I'd say trade for an 11 hatch, even a brand new 11 hatch. I think if you went that route, you'll lose less money than if you bought this STI.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
The STI is a far superior car to the WRX in just about every way...engine, transmission, suspension, braking. Everything you have (including the AP) would transfer from one car to the other. If you really want the STI and you can get a fair deal, it's a tough chioce. On the other hand, you have a new car with a warranty, so there's some value there too. I personally would keep the '11, but everyone has their own priorities.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Do you own your car outright? Most financially savvy folks don't recommend playing car note hopscotch every two years. Obviously I don't know your situation, but for most, they will have taken out a 5-year note on the car, meaning you may have 3-ish years left to pay. Keep in mind that you will be starting over again if your goal is to keep monthly payments in the same range.

If you own your present car, or are independently wealthy, then cheers! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
My dad has a 10' sti and my 11 wrx don't feel much diff. I've beat on them both equally. My wrx even pulls on him from a dig.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I had a 11 sedan base in black, was about to trade it for a 11 hatch sti and when I drove it side by side to an 11 hatch I wasnt very impressed for the extra 10k so I traded my 11 sedan for a 11 hatch limited in swp and couldn't be happier with the trade.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ask yourself WHY? +/- on the deal? Plus you know what you have done to your car the, who knows how the STI has been drivin or beaten on? I was in the same situation except I was going for new STI but I talked myself out of it. Just beef up you stage two more!!!! I say NO

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Not worth it.

The STI doesn't handle better than your WRX. It weighs considerably more, has massive amounts of unsprung weight because of those rediculous brakes, and doesn't make any more power than your WRX in stock trim and up to and including stage 2.

The only thing that the STI does better than your WRX is that it can put power down out of a corner because of its LSD's. And even then, its unlikely that you will every drive the car hard enough on the street to be able to make use of those LSD's. Also, the STI has been using inferior LSD's since 07. You'd be better off and you'd save a ton of cash to either add proper LSD's to your 5mt, or buy an 04-06 6mt and swap it in.
This comment is common among people who opted for the WRX.. I don't understand it at all. I would understand the concept of "its just not worth it to me for the extra money."

The STI suspension is far superior, and the brakes alone do not cause "massive amounts of unsprung weight." They aren't writing stories about the WRX setting records on the Isle of Man and Nürburgring.

I had a WRX, upgraded to the STI - they couldn't feel more different.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Any other year WRX I would say go for it. But not if you have a 2011.

·
Registered
184 Posts
This comment is common among people who opted for the WRX.. I don't understand it at all. I would understand the concept of "its just not worth it to me for the extra money."

The STI suspension is far superior, and the brakes alone do not cause "massive amounts of unsprung weight." They aren't writing stories about the WRX setting records on the Isle of Man and Nürburgring.

I had a WRX, upgraded to the STI - they couldn't feel more different.

Likewise, this is the belief of 99% of STI owners. The fact is, for 99% of STI owners, the WRX would be faster and handle better in their hands when used for their intents and purposes.

Its because 99% of STI owners only buy the car out of badge envy. 99% of STI owners will never use the car for any sort of sanctioned motorsports. Those giant Brembo brakes do not stop the STI any shorter or any faster than the brakes on the WRX, the only thing they do is reduce fade by dealing with the heat generated by lap after lap of abuse on a stage rally or road course. If you managed to generate that heat on the street, you need to have your license revoked. You can lock up the tires just the same in the WRX as you can in the STI on ALL street tires and most DOT r-compound tires, unless you have more traction than you have braking force, its just extra unsprung weight...those Brembos sure do 'look pretty' though.

Suspension, 'stronger control arms'? Don't need 'em. The WRX weighs significantly less with its equipment, and suspension geometry is the same. Again, unless you are using this for stage rally and launching the car off of hills, chances are you aren't going to need the 'stronger control arms'. The dampers on both cars appear to have been valved for a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood, so I don't think either wins out there. And spring rates are soft on both as well, which is great for both car's on the road. Swaybars are only 'slightly' larger on the STI, 1mm or 2mm iirc, and that is only to compensate for the extra weight of the STI.

Everything on the STI comes with a HUGE weight penalty. The STI weighs 200lbs more than the WRX no matter which way you slice it. Its slower in a straight line because it needs an extra shift before 60mph, and an extra shift before the end of the 1/4, it doesn't make anymore HP than the 11 WRX in stock trim and up to and including stage 2, the STI is still having the new motor failures that have plagued the STI for years, the WRX has avoided this. The car itself has a lot of issues. It pisses a lot of STI owners off that their straight line acceleration doesn't match the EVO's, but the WRX's does. Honestly, for the money, if I was going to spend $35k+ on a rally car for the road, it would be an EVO.

Furthermore, I didn't buy mine with anything but stock class autocross in mind, and while the STI is not competitive in stock class autocross, the 11 WRX is near the top of its class, so that is why I bought it. The car is a tool, a means to an end for me, that's all. For some, the STI is great, still for others, the STI is a necessary option for their motorsports intents, but for most, for the 'daily drivers', its a $10k badge.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it will make you happy, then do it!!!
:) thanks everybody for the info and advice. I love my sedan so much I attached a photo although I've posted it 100 times. I've put

some love into it.

I think I'm going to wait on the right 2011 hatch. And $ is no issue as far as a note etc. we paid cash and I'd pay cash the difference

·
Registered
902 Posts
I wouldn't do it even if it was an even trade to be honest. You have a new car that has been yours since day one and obviously put some time and money into it. Your car looks much better than the 08-10 STi anyway.

However, I'm not going to say the wrx is better than an STi because I know it's not. I would have loved a 2011 STi and push that car to its limits but I personally couldn't afford $160 more a month for one.

Also, could you post some more pics of your car? I'd like to see what rims/tires you are using too.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Likewise, this is the belief of 99% of STI owners. The fact is, for 99% of STI owners, the WRX would be faster and handle better in their hands when used for their intents and purposes.

Its because 99% of STI owners only buy the car out of badge envy. 99% of STI owners will never use the car for any sort of sanctioned motorsports. Those giant Brembo brakes do not stop the STI any shorter or any faster than the brakes on the WRX, the only thing they do is reduce fade by dealing with the heat generated by lap after lap of abuse on a stage rally or road course. If you managed to generate that heat on the street, you need to have your license revoked. You can lock up the tires just the same in the WRX as you can in the STI on ALL street tires and most DOT r-compound tires, unless you have more traction than you have braking force, its just extra unsprung weight...those Brembos sure do 'look pretty' though.

Suspension, 'stronger control arms'? Don't need 'em. The WRX weighs significantly less with its equipment, and suspension geometry is the same. Again, unless you are using this for stage rally and launching the car off of hills, chances are you aren't going to need the 'stronger control arms'. The dampers on both cars appear to have been valved for a 1995 Cadillac Fleetwood, so I don't think either wins out there. And spring rates are soft on both as well, which is great for both car's on the road. Swaybars are only 'slightly' larger on the STI, 1mm or 2mm iirc, and that is only to compensate for the extra weight of the STI.

Everything on the STI comes with a HUGE weight penalty. The STI weighs 200lbs more than the WRX no matter which way you slice it. Its slower in a straight line because it needs an extra shift before 60mph, and an extra shift before the end of the 1/4, it doesn't make anymore HP than the 11 WRX in stock trim and up to and including stage 2, the STI is still having the new motor failures that have plagued the STI for years, the WRX has avoided this. The car itself has a lot of issues. It pisses a lot of STI owners off that their straight line acceleration doesn't match the EVO's, but the WRX's does. Honestly, for the money, if I was going to spend $35k+ on a rally car for the road, it would be an EVO.

Furthermore, I didn't buy mine with anything but stock class autocross in mind, and while the STI is not competitive in stock class autocross, the 11 WRX is near the top of its class, so that is why I bought it. The car is a tool, a means to an end for me, that's all. For some, the STI is great, still for others, the STI is a necessary option for their motorsports intents, but for most, for the 'daily drivers', its a $10k badge.
you make me laugh.

you accuse me of badge envy. you need to educate yourself. you even pulled the "you need an extra shift" card out of the deck.

if you couldn't afford the STI - that is fine. don't crap on everyone who could.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The sti does come with better performance options, but I think Sti owners are upset that the gap between the older wrx and sti and significantly become closer. I've driven both a 10 sti to its limits and my 11 wrx hatch. My dad owns the sti and I drive it quite a bit. The sti does have a tighter better feel in the steering, rides a little tighter, and brakes a little harder, but for a average street performance enthusiast the gap is really close between the cars. Ya it's cool to be able to lock the diffs, switch between sport modes, and have the highest end of the models but for some it's just not worth it and either sides shouldn't bash each others cars. For me, I like the wrx better , but ya I wouldn't mind an sti just for the fact that I'm the guy that buys the best of whatever I buy. But in this case the 11 wrx is just an all around better performing car for me. And for some reason my 11 wrx pulls on the 10 sti pretty good up to about 80 then they stay about even, the sti seems to have a smoother power curve in stock form as well, where in my wrx the boost comes on pretty hard.

·
Registered
558 Posts
The sti does come with better performance options, but I think Sti owners are upset that the gap between the older wrx and sti and significantly become closer. I've driven both a 10 sti to its limits and my 11 wrx hatch. My dad owns the sti and I drive it quite a bit. The sti does have a tighter better feel in the steering, rides a little tighter, and brakes a little harder, but for a average street performance enthusiast the gap is really close between the cars. Ya it's cool to be able to lock the diffs, switch between sport modes, and have the highest end of the models but for some it's just not worth it and either sides shouldn't bash each others cars. For me, I like the wrx better , but ya I wouldn't mind an sti just for the fact that I'm the guy that buys the best of whatever I buy. But in this case the 11 wrx is just an all around better performing car for me. And for some reason my 11 wrx pulls on the 10 sti pretty good up to about 80 then they stay about even, the sti seems to have a smoother power curve in stock form as well, where in my wrx the boost comes on pretty hard.
+1 Bottom line, make yourself happy. You only live once. If you know you will not be satisfied... Get the higher end model.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.