ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I rotated my tires and noticed that there was a small amount of oil on the engine. Since the car is still under warranty I decided to take it to the dealer in which it was purchased rather than look for it myself. The next day I receive a call from the service manager informing me that the leak has been located and should be good to pick up the next day. Well about mid day I get informed that there is another leak they had discovered but are not sure of the source. So Today I call and am told that the leak is from the turbo and it is "blown and needs replaced". Meanwhile the car never puffed any smoke and had regular boost. I went down to the dealer and they told me that I had removed the intercooler and turbo at some point and must have messed something up. I never messed with either. He then elaborated and stated that there were metal shavings found in the turbo. So I then said " So if you had the turbo off is it possible your mechanics assembled it improperly?" He then replied "We never had it off or the intercooler" so how the hell do they know there are metal shavings in it? Also, I pointed out that the slave cylinder for the clutch is located under the intercooler and they did perform a clutch replacement.... So wouldn't they have to remove it to gain access to it? Anyway, I ended up looking under the intercooler for myself and there was an amount of oil right below it. So I do not know where the source of the leak is but it is running from the opposite side of the turbo.... So does anyone have any suggestions? Sorry for the block of text. It is just frustrating to be lied to.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
make the dealership replace the turbo, they diagnosed the issue, they should fix it. You have never removed the intercooler yourself personally and they shouldnt be able to point any blame like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
make the dealership replace the turbo, they diagnosed the issue, they should fix it. You have never removed the intercooler yourself personally and they shouldnt be able to point any blame like that.
I'm sorry. I did fail to mention that I do have an access port and cold air intake installed. But he never mentioned it being the source of the issue. He did however tell me that I had a turbo timer that may have contributed to the problem... Which I do not.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
an intake or accessport isnt going to ruin a turbo, leave the intake on, flash the car to stock and demand they fix your car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
an intake or accessport isnt going to ruin a turbo, leave the intake on, flash the car to stock and demand they fix your car.
I am almost positive that the leak is not coming from the turbo. I am also doubtful that they really think that as well. All in all I am just thoroughly confused and still have an oil leak....

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
it doesnt matter where the oil is coming from, what matters is it is leaking and it isnt your fault.

·
Registered
58 Posts
that's bogus that they would accuse you of such things if you didn't do so. they're probably thinking the fact that you have an aftermarket intake on it that you must have fiddled with other parts as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Doesn't the AccessPort cause the turbo to spool higher than stock? They can use that as leverage for a blown turbo, if it was operating outside of the factor of safety designed into the turbo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts