ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 2011 WRX 5 door last Feb so its a year old this month, still bone stock engine wise. Just rolled over 10k miles ( I don't drive far much each day ). I HAVE done research and keep coming up with posts that go back and forth and contradict each other so im not sure which one to really rely on. Ill just lay my criteria out and you guys rip me apart and tell me what I need to be doing...and I apologize for being pretty uninformed on these issues, came from a dodge v8 truck to this (first) turbo car.

1. I obviously don't want to void any warranty
2. I don't really want to mod the exhaust (I mainly mean the tips I think) for sound and drawing attention reasons, I really prefer the quietness of it.
3. I am reading consistent posts regarding AEM or Cobb or something of the like, cold air intake and that it gives fairly good gains WITHOUT needing a tune. Is this true, could I install a cold air intake vs the OEM box and not void the warranty and and also NOT require a Cobb Accessport?
4. I read other threads that say the 2011 has a VERY restrictive DP seeing as it has something blocking airflow like 2 inches away from the turbo and getting rid of that restriction is a good gain. What exactly is this? I know an aftermarket DP is an exhaust mod (I know im kinda contracting myself w the exhaust comment). I am just wondering if going to say.... an Invidia DP vs the OEM one will be a gain worth doing, and how much louder it would be if any? Also would just switching an aftermarket DP vs the OEM require a new tune? (Hence me needing the Cobb Access Port)

5. Overall I was looking to upgrade the intake to a cold air one vs the OEM box one, and switch out DP's to get rid of said restriction that is just a couple inches from the turbo. Would any of the two above mods both require a new tune. All in all im trying to do as much as I can engine wise without getting a Cobb Access Port (not that im against it I guess, just money wise lol) Trying to figure out what & where I can gain any HP if any without needing a tune / CAP and keep my warranty.

So far ive done full decal removal front and back, red pinstripe front grille mod, red pinstriped the wheels, full tint all around and have a hardwired Valentine 1 getting installed this Saturday. Was just wanting to maybe get a diff shift knob and any other aesthetic accessories I can that wont totally rice it out but make it stand out from the few other WRX's around my area.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,217 Posts
Then use only the authentic parts specified for your car. This means no imitation (read: "aftermarket" parts) and no mods.

2. I don't really want to mod the exhaust (I mainly mean the tips I think) for sound and drawing attention reasons, I really prefer the quietness of it.
Understandable.

3. I am reading consistent posts regarding AEM or Cobb or something of the like, cold air intake and that it gives fairly good gains WITHOUT needing a tune. Is this true,
As you've seen, opinions vary. The way I see it an intake that does not require a tune would also in my view not be worth the expense, and one that does would in my view not be worth the expense -- intakes can't win with me.

could I install a cold air intake vs the OEM box and not void the warranty
If the world were right, no. I can't see any reason for one firm to support afterthoughts sold by a second firm and installed by a third party. It should make any support under warranty out of the question. Whether it does or not, I don't know; but I do know the world is not entirely right, so it it may be that you won't have any problems. Some have, some have not.

People may mention legislation that protects imitation parts, but nobody has yet to explain to me who fixes the car while you and the dealer argue about the Magnusson-Moss act. It is unlikely you will have a problem but once you do, the intake maker isn't going to spring into action, fix your car, or educate the dealer on law any more than they are going to solve world hunger.

and and also NOT require a Cobb Accessport?
Maybe look at it from the other end: consider a mapping solution first, one that will grow with your taste in aftermarket parts as funds allow.

I know an aftermarket DP is an exhaust mod (I know im kinda contracting myself w the exhaust comment). I am just wondering if going to say.... an Invidia DP vs the OEM one will be a gain worth doing, and how much louder it would be if any?
Go to a meet, listen to people's cars first hand. See what you like, what sounds too loud, too brash, etc.

Also would just switching an aftermarket DP vs the OEM require a new tune?
Yes.

Overall I was looking to upgrade the intake to a cold air one vs the OEM box one, and switch out DP's to get rid of said restriction that is just a couple inches from the turbo. Would any of the two above mods both require a new tune.
Yes.

All in all im trying to do as much as I can engine wise without getting a Cobb Access Port (not that im against it I guess, just money wise lol)
I like money far more than I will ever like any Cobb product. One way to keep money is to look into DIY or open source solutions.

Was just wanting to maybe get a diff shift knob and any other aesthetic accessories I can that wont totally rice it out but make it stand out from the few other WRX's around my area.
Using only authentic Subaru parts is guaranteed to make your car stick out among WRXs owned by people on most of the online fora.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great response. Going to have to read it about 10x for to all soak in but I feel I have a start

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
To answer your question about the intake & the DP.

Either will require a tune.This can be with an AP or opensource.

You can leave the stock exhaust in place & change the DP.This shouldn't make the car any louder.

Whether any of this will lead to warranty claim denials is not something that can be predicted.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,217 Posts
Great response. Going to have to read it about 10x for to all soak in but I feel I have a start
Thanks but I actually like rage-wrx's response better, it's more informative and gets to the point; see his instead:

To answer your question about the intake & the DP.

Either will require a tune.This can be with an AP or opensource.

You can leave the stock exhaust in place & change the DP.This shouldn't make the car any louder.

Whether any of this will lead to warranty claim denials is not something that can be predicted.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
3. I am reading consistent posts regarding AEM or Cobb or something of the like, cold air intake and that it gives fairly good gains WITHOUT needing a tune. Is this true, could I install a cold air intake vs the OEM box and not void the warranty and and also NOT require a Cobb Accessport?
4. I read other threads that say the 2011 has a VERY restrictive DP seeing as it has something blocking airflow like 2 inches away from the turbo and getting rid of that restriction is a good gain. What exactly is this? I know an aftermarket DP is an exhaust mod (I know im kinda contracting myself w the exhaust comment). I am just wondering if going to say.... an Invidia DP vs the OEM one will be a gain worth doing, and how much louder it would be if any? Also would just switching an aftermarket DP vs the OEM require a new tune? (Hence me needing the Cobb Access Port)
5. Overall I was looking to upgrade the intake to a cold air one vs the OEM box one, and switch out DP's to get rid of said restriction that is just a couple inches from the turbo. Would any of the two above mods both require a new tune. All in all im trying to do as much as I can engine wise without getting a Cobb Access Port (not that im against it I guess, just money wise lol) Trying to figure out what & where I can gain any HP if any without needing a tune / CAP and keep my warranty.
A few quick points.

1. The turbo engine in these cars is very sensitive to the changes that are made, especially to anything affecting airflow before or after the turbo. That means any changes that are worth making will require a tune.
2. If you change the stock tune on the car it then does open you up to warranty claim denials on repairs that the dealership feels are related to the mod. This will depend entirely on the dealer and their policies.
3. The changes you mentioned ( intake / downpipe / exhaust) are pretty much the standard changes made by owners moving to a Stage 2 tune, which can be done by a pro shop, with the AP or by open-source.
4. Common changes on these cars that are not going to impact your warranty tend to be installing a short shifter and suspension work. These will not increase your power, but will improve the driving experience.

If your primary goal is to keep your warranty then don't mod the powertrain. If you are willing to accept the fact that you may have to pay for a repair yourself because you modded, then go right ahead. Basically you need to determine your risk tolerance level.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
rage-wrx said:
You can leave the stock exhaust in place & change the DP.This shouldn't make the car too much louder.
Removing cats should increase the volume of the exhaust, but not by too much. With someone familiar with their car, they will notice it (at first). However, it's not so drastic that it would likely be noticeable by someone not familiar with it.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
I think you should consult with Synolimit. He seems to be the resident genius here on ClubWRX.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts