ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Got around 1000 miles on my car now and started driving it a bit harder. Noticed that shifting under a heavy load is pretty difficult to do successfully lol. Is this normal? This is my first wrx or awd car in gereral so I understand there will be a bit of a learning curve. Just seems like its hard to find gears sometimes :eek:

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
It'll get smoother as it breaks in.. but these cars are notoriously notchy. The more you drive it the smoother you'll get too since you'll get more used to its character.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Shifter bushings and/or a short throw shifter help dramatically. I, and others, highly recommend doing both.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shifter bushings and/or a short throw shifter help dramatically. I, and others, highly recommend doing both.
Well it has a STS already installed, what bushings would you recommend? Would a transmission brace help as well (or the distribution box, whatever it's called)?

Still debating if I want to Cobb it up with an AP or not. Bought the extended warranty so I think I'll be holding off, only getting axle back and some suspension stuff for now. :thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got about 1000 miles on mine, and while I don't believe in 'babying in' the car, I believe in breaking it in hard, I've only noticed how easy it is to shift at WOT.

The soft limiter combined with the traction control seems to allow for flat foot shifting. Its really remarkable in my opinion for a stock vehicle to make the 1-2 shift, under such a heavily load, so smoothly.

Also, my car has the SPT Short Shifter, perhaps that helps a bit with shift accuracy and feel, but shouldn't affect the car's ability to shift at WOT one way or another.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got about 1000 miles on mine, and while I don't believe in 'babying in' the car, I believe in breaking it in hard, I've only noticed how easy it is to shift at WOT.

The soft limiter combined with the traction control seems to allow for flat foot shifting. Its really remarkable in my opinion for a stock vehicle to make the 1-2 shift, under such a heavily load, so smoothly.

Also, my car has the SPT Short Shifter, perhaps that helps a bit with shift accuracy and feel, but shouldn't affect the car's ability to shift at WOT one way or another.
Yea I don't know what's wrong with me. Car is not as easy to shift at wot as my old 370z was.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts

.... I give it 6 months if that long before you grenade that transmission. Not even the 6mt in the sti was designed to be shifted like that let alone the 5mt box in the wrx. Good luck.

Well it has a STS already installed, what bushings would you recommend? Would a transmission brace help as well (or the distribution box, whatever it's called)?
Kartboy bushings are a long time favorite of the community, they can be found at www.turninconcepts.com You could also change the trans mount for the group N mount. If you're beating on the car you'll NEED it.. even for mildly spirited driving its recommended. The factory trans mount is literally jello in stiffness. Doing the rear cradle mount inserts and diff mount inserts aren't a bad Idea either since they'll help take the rest of the slop out of the driveline.
I'll warn though, without some dynamat the trans mount will add some nvh to the car.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.... I give it 6 months if that long before you grenade that transmission. Not even the 6mt in the sti was designed to be shifted like that let alone the 5mt box in the wrx. Good luck.
Haha, shots fired. Mango, do you have a response for my above post? Regarding the tranny brace/diff brace helping

·
Registered
184 Posts
$1000 says I never have a single transmission problem for as long as I own this car. I've owned enough cars that were 'notorious for transmssion problems' and I've never had a single issue.

Perhaps you don't understand whats going on. I take first gear to the soft limiter. A soft limiter will cut fuel/spark for a solid second, in that time, I select second gear and release the clutch, and come off of the soft limiter as the RPMs are pulled down by second gear. I'm not powershifting, I'm not 'jamming' it into second gear, I'm not dumping the clutch, I'm shifting without lifting off of the gas because the car lifts of the gas via the soft limiter for me.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
$1000 says I never have a single transmission problem for as long as I own this car. I've owned enough cars that were 'notorious for transmssion problems' and I've never had a single issue.

Perhaps you don't understand whats going on. I take first gear to the soft limiter. A soft limiter will cut fuel/spark for a solid second, in that time, I select second gear and release the clutch, and come off of the soft limiter as the RPMs are pulled down by second gear. I'm not powershifting, I'm not 'jamming' it into second gear, I'm not dumping the clutch, I'm shifting without lifting off of the gas because the car lifts of the gas via the soft limiter for me.
This your first subaru? you're going to break it. I'll leave it at that. Save that $1000 and put it towards a new trans/guts.

Haha, shots fired. Mango, do you have a response for my above post? Regarding the tranny brace/diff brace helping
When I fire I dont miss. As for the trans brace (what we call a trans mount) read post 9 and follow TIC link. Or check out http://turninconcepts.com/index.php?cPath=1_9_7_481_499_1249

·
Registered
184 Posts
This your first subaru? you're going to break it. I'll leave it at that.
No, this is not my first, or second Subaru, it is my thrid. All 5mt gearbox's, and I have never had even the slightest transmission issue. You simply don't understand what I'm doing when I shift like this, that's the only thing I can guess in an attempt to comprehend why you would think that shifting so smoothly from 1-2 would cause tranmsission issues.

Good luck on not having a clue and/or and reading comprehension skills.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Thanks mango. Are all the things you listed direct bolt ons or are mounts required to be fabb'ed?

They're all bolt in.

No, this is not my first, or second Subaru, it is my thrid. All 5mt gearbox's, and I have never had even the slightest transmission issue. You simply don't understand what I'm doing when I shift like this, that's the only thing I can guess in an attempt to comprehend why you would think that shifting so smoothly from 1-2 would cause tranmsission issues.

No I fully well understand what you're getting at and what you're doing. I'm no pup.. been playing with and racing cars for a long time now and I've seen quite a few fella's make the same claims you are only to have something blow apart. No worries man, Its your car do what you want.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, this is not my first, or second Subaru, it is my thrid. All 5mt gearbox's, and I have never had even the slightest transmission issue. You simply don't understand what I'm doing when I shift like this, that's the only thing I can guess in an attempt to comprehend why you would thing that shifting so smoothly from 1-2 would cause tranmsission issues.

Hey I know you guys are both smart/well versed on subbys but this is my thread and I can say "no more complainin

·
Registered
184 Posts
They're all bolt in.

No I fully well understand what you're getting at and what you're doing. I'm no pup.. been playing with and racing cars for a long time now and I've seen quite a few fella's make the same claims you are only to have something blow apart. No worries man, Its your car do what you want.

Indulge me, what should I be doing when I shift from 1-2? Should I take a long pause and make tea and crackers? Should I let the RPMs fall to about 2000? Please, in all of your time playing with 'race cars', surely you've figured out a few tricks on shifting when speed and performance is key. I would like to hear your expert opionion as to how I should be shifting from 1-2...

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Indulge me, what should I be doing when I shift from 1-2? Should I take a long pause and make tea and crackers? Should I let the RPMs fall to about 2000? Please, in all of your time playing with 'race cars', surely you've figured out a few tricks on shifting when speed and performance is key. I would like to hear your expert opionion as to how I should be shifting from 1-2...
I wont play your game on this dude.. do what ever you want. Broken or not its still your car and your wallet.

You've also only got 11 posts here. FYI you've yet to earn your right to be an internet ******* on this forum.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
The wrx IS a great car, but there are lots of factory compromises that need to be taken care of before you start pounding on it. Taking care of the driveline slop will help with shifting as well as make the car feel more responsive. ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts