ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I've been getting a weird noise lately coming from engine bay. I can only describe it as a ticking noise. I thought it was my imagination at first, but now I am pretty sure the car was a lot quieter when I first got it. Additionally, there has been a mild burning smell after shutting down. I checked my oil and it is still at full with the engine warm. There is no smoke that I have seen. I took a short video of the noise here. The car seems to be driving just fine and still pulls... I am a little puzzled as it is not throwing any CELs... :confused:

EDIT: My car is Stage 1 AP CA/NV 91 map, synthetic dealer oil, nameless axelback...nothing else.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Take it in, it sounds like a tappet (noises via the internet are not easy to diagnose).

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply SD_GR. I appreciate the quick response. What would cause the tappet to go awry with only 17k on the odometer?

·
29,225 Posts
I honestly don't know that it's a tappet, but that's just what it reminds me of. If it's in fact something in the valve train it could be a manufacturing issue, or an oiling issue, or a problem with valve timing I suppose. If it were me, it'd be dealer time. Hopefully I'm off and it's something ridiculously simple.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That sounds horrible... Did you start it one morning and it sounded like that or did it progressively get louder? Lets just say that isn't normal. I agree that it sounds like it's coming from valve-train. This is just a guess, but I think that it may have something to do with your AVCS system.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ack...no bueno. I will be visiting the dealer ASAP. We'll see what happens. I'll report back when I know more. Thanks for all the input.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, sigh of relief. Revisited the car with fresh eyes this AM and found that the rattling was due to a loose oil filler cap. :confused1: I guess it had somehow worked its way loose...never happened to me before.

·
29,225 Posts
Wow I'd have never guessed. Great news!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ok, sigh of relief. Revisited the car with fresh eyes this AM and found that the rattling was due to a loose oil filler cap. :confused1: I guess it had somehow worked its way loose...never happened to me before.
Yeah that would definitely do it. I guess the valve-train is very loud when not in an enclosed in a sealed environment.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Weird, I'm glad it was something simple and stupid as opposed to something really wrong with the car.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Weird, I'm glad it was something simple and stupid as opposed to something really wrong with the car.
Thanks man! Agreed, definitely! I appreciate everyone who weighed in though!

Cheers!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts