ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm taking your advice and will be getting a downpipe very shortly as the next step in modifying my WRX. My accessport should be here within a week so downpipe will follow shortly after *fingers crossed*

My question is this: Is there any advantage to going with a catless downpipe as opposed to a high flow cat downpipe?? Also note that I live in eastern Canada, where there are no yearly vehicly inspections/no tickets for having a catless etc.

Basically wondering if it is worth the extra few hundred to get a high flow cat or just go with the catless. Do they have any significant affect on performance or sound as well?

Thanks guys, appreciate all feedback, you guys have been awesome!

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
It's been said that catless will offer a % of additional HP than catted. Less restricted flow. I wouldn't say it's exactly "significant", so it's really up to you. If I was in your position with no emissions testing, I'd go catless.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There's a risk of boost creep with a non-catted pipe.

Nobody's had the newest Subarus long enough to know the risks of catted versus non-catted.

·
Registered
902 Posts
There's a risk of boost creep with a non-catted pipe.

Nobody's had the newest Subarus long enough to know the risks of catted versus non-catted.
This.

If you read the map requirements on Cobb's site they require a catted exhaust with the stage 2 map. If you plan to stick with the AP you might want to consider catted so you don't have boost creep issues.

I researched both before buying an exhaust and this is what I gathered...

A cat less exhaust will smell worse, provide more of a raw sound, have possible boost creep or over boost issues, but can make a few more hp as your mod list grows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts