ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see most go with H&R, what other options are available for the 11 wrx? Will older year sti or wrx coilovers fit the 11 wrx?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I see most go with H&R, what other options are available for the 11 wrx? Will older year sti or wrx coilovers fit the 11 wrx?
check out FastWRX.com, they got BC coilovers for the 2011 that are slightly cheaper than the H&R's, and some other options that are a good deal more expensive. As for your other question, no they will not. For 2011, with the wider track and other suspension tweaks the coilovers that fit the previous gen WRX's dont fit on the 2011. Also the STi uses inverted McPhaerson struts whereas the WRX uses regular McPhaerson struts, so I highly doubt and can't see how those would fit either.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
^^^ +1 if you're not looking to be tracking the car regularly, then you should be staying away from coilovers and sticking with a good spring/shock combo. The only springs to stay away from are Tein and any cheap ebay one that doesn't have a name on it and costs 1/2 of what name brand ones do (you get what you pay for).

There are a lot of good choices for springs out there and you should look at two things about them: The drop they achieve in the car and what the spring rate is. You should be around 5-7 for the fronts and 4-6 for the rears for the rates. The drop is up to you. You'll also need some new struts to go along with those like KYB or Tokico.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its my DD but im an aggressive driver and want a great suspension. If coilovers are going to make the car handle better then a spring n shock then I def wanna go the coil route..it would also be nice to be able to adjust the height any time. A spring n shock combo with installation is still gonna cost around 700 when coilovers will be around 1400. Are coilovers worth it or will the spring n shock handle just as good?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
There are only three coilovers that I'd recommend for DD.. the RCE Tarmac series... the TiC SST series... or the KW's. All are on the comfortable side for DD, but can stiffen up for track days. RCE makes a Tarmac 2 for the 2008+. KW makes a V1 for the 2008+.

For almost anyone... I'd recommend a spring/strut combination. RCE makes one that is a bilstein strut paired with their "yellow" spring: RaceComp Engineering Impreza Cup Sport. It's gotten great reviews. Spring rates are:330 lbs/in front and 335 lbs/in rear. And the drop is 10-15mm from stock.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are only three coilovers that I'd recommend for DD.. the RCE Tarmac series... the TiC SST series... or the KW's. All are on the comfortable side for DD, but can stiffen up for track days. RCE makes a Tarmac 2 for the 2008+. KW makes a V1 for the 2008+.

For almost anyone... I'd recommend a spring/strut combination. RCE makes one that is a bilstein strut paired with their "yellow" spring: RaceComp Engineering Impreza Cup Sport. It's gotten great reviews. Spring rates are:330 lbs/in front and 335 lbs/in rear. And the drop is 10-15mm from stock.
+1

I think I'll end up going this route as well, I just feel that if I go with coilovers they will last no time due to our poor weather conditions here and I'll just have to get them rebuilt over and over. Gotta wonder tho, would that spring/shock combo be liveable as a DD on roads that are, in general, littered with small cracks and bumps and slight uneven place? Also Sinister, do you have any idea if the front is adjustable in terms of height? I know that the backs are, but I'm just wondering if they could be adjusted to basically negate the drop from the the RCE springs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts