ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im thinking about ordering Cobbs accessport and upgrading my wrx to stage 1, also thinking about ordering their SF CAI for the 2011 wrx as well.

Just wondering if any of you guys have these same mods and what kind of gains can be expected?

Also, if I'm going to spend a grand or more on those two parts, by the time i order them and they ship to me, i live in Newfoundland canada... haha

Anyyyways, are there other mods i should be looking at first or is those two a good place to start?

Cant really afford to pay any more than that right now, still paying off the car and in university at the same time. Never actually modified a car before so I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback you guys might have to offer :)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you looked at this?

2011 WRX

Tactrix Openport 2.0

I put the Torqued Performance tune on mine and it really made a difference. Eric from Torqued Performance posts over on www.3gwrx.com all the time so you can talk with the tuner if you like.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I just put the Cobb SF intake and accessport into my 2010 STI today ......OMG......this is how the STI should be from the factory....flashed to stage 1+SF.....huge gains.....plus you can actually hear the BOV now....worth the money!!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot guys, shadow that First modifications thread is very useful, thanks a lot man.

Dmk i honestly didnt even know that existed haha but if im going to do a tune, im almost definitely going to go with the accessport.

Thanks for the input vendeta, so does it pull noticeably stronger now?? like what are you gains 0-60 say if youve tested them. oh btw our cars have bpv's not bov's :p

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Dmk i honestly didnt even know that existed haha but if im going to do a tune, im almost definitely going to go with the accessport.
There are cheaper and more reliable ways to tune than AP OTS maps. Not to say it's not a good product, but there are other options.

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
I'm enjoying the difference after installing the stage 1 93 oct map with AP yesterday .Power delivery is a lot smoother.As everyone says this is how it should come from the factory.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are cheaper and more reliable ways to tune than AP OTS maps. Not to say it's not a good product, but there are other options.
Yea, it's a lot of money. The Tactrix cable and TP tune together are half the price

I just wanted to do the occasional tune and logging, plus I already had an OBDII code scanner. So the AP was overkill for me.

Eric's Stage 1 tune is pretty nice. I can't see any reason why it's not just as good as Cobbs.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Eric's Stage 1 tune is pretty nice. I can't see any reason why it's not just as good as Cobbs.
I've heard nothing but good things about Eric @TP. I like the opensource tuning because there are more options and as I do more research, I'd like to eventually start tuning myself.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Looking at Cobbs graphs for their stock maps, I see that you get a whole 2-3 extra HP going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 on the '11 WRX with stock maps. A WRX with Stage 1 + air intake with tune does 5HP better than a Stage 2 WRX. Given the warranty issues, I wouldn't even go Stage II on an '11 unless it was a step towards something higher. I'm sure a ProTune could do better, but it's always a question of reliability versus power at some point.

Cobb's dyno figures seem to be 20-30HP lower than just about everyone else as well (meaning add 80HP to their numbers to get Subaru's equivalent 'crank' figures, which you can't trust either since the HP figures for the WRX and WRX STI from '09 and onward are pretty much identical on every dyno out there (i.e. purposely misleading figures these days to prop up the STI name) and a far cry from when the regular WRX was almost 80HP less than the STI. In short, if the STI really is 305HP at the crank, so is the regular WRX now. I don't know how they came up with the 265 figure (pulled it out of their back side?)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Looking at Cobbs graphs for their stock maps, I see that you get a whole 2-3 extra HP going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 on the '11 WRX with stock maps. A WRX with Stage 1 + air intake with tune does 5HP better than a Stage 2 WRX.
Don't forget that it's not only about peak numbers, it's about area under the "curve", that's where stage 2 sees the biggest difference. And don't look solely at Dyno #s, theyre just a starting reference and can vary from car to car, day to day, and dyno to dyno.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Acceleration is smoother....boost seems to kick in earlier and stay strong all the way to redline...unlike the giant drop around 6k with the stock map.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Vash337
installing both later today. will report back
Install went smoothly for me....just remember to thread the MAF under the airbox in the back right hand corner....I missed this step and had to reinstall....The cobb black and white pics don't help much.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well i installed both without any issues. intake is very loud, which is great to me, lol. car finally feels fast! even econo shifting at 2500 rpms, the car has more oompf. i havent driven very far, im curious to see what my gas mileage will be like when im easy on it. right now i just cant keep my foot out of it, it opens up and pulls all the way to redline.

i picked up the cobb ap used from an 08 sti guy. i recommend doing this, removing all maps and plugging it into your car, it then asks if it's an 11 wrx 5spd, yes, then you have all the maps right there. save 150+ :)

·
Registered
10,822 Posts
i picked up the cobb ap used from an 08 sti guy. i recommend doing this, removing all maps and plugging it into your car, it then asks if it's an 11 wrx 5spd, yes, then you have all the maps right there. save 150+ :)
I did the same thing.Got mine from an 08 guy who had it for only a year.Downloaded the maps & now everything is a lot smoother.Running stage 1 93 oct map.Power delivery is smooth.The AP has actually tamed the beast.The car is not jerky any more.Although my one gripe is the car seems to have become quieter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well an intake would fix that right away, lol. i also find my engine more robust sounding. i actually like the stock exhaust sound, i hope the invidia wont be too loud. yes, the car is more smooth, but also hits nice and hard now. i found w/ the stock map, if you werent accelerating hard right from the start, say a redlight, it wouldnt wake up for several seconds if you decided to flog it. that's all gone now.

i realize this was a gamble to possibly void my powertrain warranty w/ only 3k miles on the car, but the cobb dyno looked so promising. and i knew i would be modding this car very soon, and 24k just seemed forever away. of course i plan to take very good care of the car and hope for the best

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I found is amazing that the AP and and intake would have THAT much difference. I with Vash...can't keep my foot out of the gas. Very curious what the improvements will be like from stage 1+SF to stage 2....if I can ever get out of california to do a downpipe. Cobb SF + AP is soooo worth the money!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts