ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased an AccessPort and Cobb SF intake with box for my 2011 WRX. I installed the CAI and then reprogrammed the ECU with the Stage 1 93 + SF map. I love the new power and torque gain. I definitely feel as though the turbo spools up quicker and with the new boost set to 17 psi - the acceleration from the line is amazing. The only problem is the noise. When I'm on full acceleration it sounds great and the release of the BOV is nice. What I don't like it the air intake noise (the sucking for a lack of better term) in everyday driving. I can only turn my radio up so loud :) I actually un-installed the CAI and re-flashed my ECU with the Stage 1 93.

I was wondering if anyone had discovered a way to dampen this noise? I was thinking of attempting to "sound insulate" the box or something of that manner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
902 Posts
This is the reason people end up selling them. I have the AEM intake which I've read is not nearly as loud as the Cobb but don't have the proof to back that up. While driving the car normally I can barely ever hear the intake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I recently purchased an AccessPort and Cobb SF intake with box for my 2011 WRX. I installed the CAI and then reprogrammed the ECU with the Stage 1 93 + SF map. I love the new power and torque gain. I definitely feel as though the turbo spools up quicker and with the new boost set to 17 psi - the acceleration from the line is amazing. The only problem is the noise. When I'm on full acceleration it sounds great and the release of the BOV is nice. What I don't like it the air intake noise (the sucking for a lack of better term) in everyday driving. I can only turn my radio up so loud :) I actually un-installed the CAI and re-flashed my ECU with the Stage 1 93.

I was wondering if anyone had discovered a way to dampen this noise? I was thinking of attempting to "sound insulate" the box or something of that manner.

Thanks!
Yeah glad to know im not the only one not impressed with the sucking noise. Havent found a solution other than the 4-65 method

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the reason people end up selling them. I have the AEM intake which I've read is not nearly as loud as the Cobb but don't have the proof to back that up. While driving the car normally I can barely ever hear the intake.
Are you able to use the AEM intake with the Cobb AccessPort provided maps? I only ask, because I still have a few upgrads planned for the WRX and was waiting until I was finished before getting a pro tune.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Get an exhaust, go stage 2.. No more sucking noise.. It'll be turbo spooling noise

·
Registered
902 Posts
Are you able to use the AEM intake with the Cobb AccessPort provided maps? I only ask, because I still have a few upgrads planned for the WRX and was waiting until I was finished before getting a pro tune.
Yes, Cobb has maps for the AEM. I have an Invidia turboback exhaust so I can only hear the intake slightly in the mid range once the turbo starts to build boost. At wide open throttle the exhaust is louder than the intake.

I'm actually looking for a used Cobb intake to try out just for comparison before I get a tune in the spring.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nope. Ive got Cobb catted dp, grimspeed ecbs, cobb sf stage 2+ map tuned for the ecbs and mine still "sucks"

But you don't have a cat back? That is why your hearing it much more.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The AEM is a CAI and puts the filter much farther away from the turbo inlet than the Cobb SRI. Therefore more muffled sound.

·
Registered
67 Posts
But you don't have a cat back? That is why your hearing it much more.
No cbe, but that wouldnt make the intake quieter, just the exhaust louder right? I like the stock look and exhaust is pretty pricey for minimal gains :/

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I have the AEM intake and I really just hear the turbo spooling and wastegate. No sucking sound.

·
Banned
664 Posts
hate to be a debby downer but if you dont like the performance sounds of a "performance" car then another car should be in your future. nothing you do to increase performance is going to be quite. i cant imagine someone hating the intake sound but like every other sound that the car will produce.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hate to be a debby downer but if you dont like the performance sounds of a "performance" car then another car should be in your future. nothing you do to increase performance is going to be quite. i cant imagine someone hating the intake sound but like every other sound that the car will produce.
Guess ill trade it in on a prius. NOT!! Im not upset its loud, I expect performance upgrades to make it louder, just was unaware that it sucked!

·
Banned
664 Posts
Guess ill trade it in on a prius. NOT!! Im not upset its loud, I expect performance upgrades to make it louder, just was unaware that it sucked!

Lol yeah who woulda thought opening an intake and providing a direct line to a turbo that sucks massive amounts of air on exceleration could possible make a sucking sound.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lol yeah who woulda thought opening an intake and providing a direct line to a turbo that sucks massive amounts of air on exceleration could possible make a sucking sound.
Ive done a CAI on my last three cars and none sounded like it. none were turboed so I guess thats the difference...

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Donkey said:
The AEM is a CAI and puts the filter much farther away from the turbo inlet than the Cobb SRI. Therefore more muffled sound.
This.

Since you're using the Cobb AP, you want to make the switch to the AEM intake, so you can continue to use a base map.

·
Registered
902 Posts
No cbe, but that wouldnt make the intake quieter, just the exhaust louder right? I like the stock look and exhaust is pretty pricey for minimal gains :/

No, it won't make the intake quieter. It will just balance out the sound a little better. I love the sound combination of the AEM intake and Invidia Q300 turbo back. Both are quiet when you want them to be but come to life nicely without being too loud.

I agree, the exhaust is pretty expensive for the gains. I went from a Cobb dp with stock cat back to the Invidia which is a true full 3 inches vs. 2 1/4 and could notice more top end.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hate to be a debby downer ... then don't

Well I guess it depends on what you think performance should sound like. For me a loud sucking noise that almost sounds like two metal parts rubbing together when you only give the car 1/2 throttle is not performance.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts