ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for your advice/wisdom for my near future plans.

Currently running Cobb OTS Stage 1, 91 oct. on my 2011 wrx. I've also got the Cobb SF intake that will be installed Christmas :D

I would like to either buy a downpipe and flash to stage 2, or get an e-tune for my Stage 1 + intake. I can't decide which route I should go and am hoping you guys can help me out!

I was in contact with Clark Turner, he has a MASSIVE thread over on nasioc and I hear he is a great guy, which I can attest to with the contact I've had with him. He told me his customers are reporting up to additional 30hp/tq with his Stage 1 + Intake tune over the equivalent Cobb OTS map. Should also mention that his e-tunes are maps that can be stored on the AP so I think that is pretty convenient as well. Also considering buying the Nameless Performance DP and just flashing to stage 2 + intake.

I read on here somewhere that a guy who was stage 2 -- when he brought it to be protuned -- found out that he had knock that he was unaware of with the cobb ots map. I'm just wondering, if by chance I were to go the DP route, and I found I had some issues with knock/fine knock, afr, etc., is there any way to fix those issues or am I kind of stuck then with what I have? Because if there is no way for me to make any corrections, then I would think the custom e-tune, where we continually swap logs/revised maps back and forth until the car is running perfectly, would be the more safe route to add power am I correct??

Would love to hear what you guys think/suggest as I have used the advice of many of you on here already in my previous purchases :)

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
My ears were burning. :) Is Stage II your end goal? Once I know that, I can pick a side of this fence.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha knew you wouldn't be long in posting :p

Ah see this is where I'm not sure. Because I am 100% selling/trading my WRX for an STi in either 2013 or 2014 -- gonna wait and see if the new STi coming out is worth getting, if not I'll get the current body style. So, I was originally planning on selling the car to my brother, in which case stage 2 wouldn't be a big deal, but I'm afraid that if I do go the stage 2 route, for one if I have problems, is there any way to fix them? And second, will the dealer look at the downpipe and say 'the car has been abused' and downprice the value of the car?

In terms of power, stage 2 is definitely as far as I am going, I might possibly look at a process west IC + forge BPV for a stage 2 custom tune from Clark, but all of that is a lot more $$$ haha

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Okay, so here's where I stand - Stage 2 + protune seems like your end goal, so why pay for a tune twice (at stage 1 and then again at 2)? If you're not comfortable with Cobb's OTS Stage 2 map after hearing what I found, just hold off until you can do both at the same time.

I do have a question for you though - What problems do you feel that you introduce by adding a a better-flowing DP? I can't speak for your dealer, but I have spoken to mine repeatedly, and they are pretty mod-friendly....well, until you swap the turbo out, which is understandable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not that I'm uncomfortable with the ots stage 2 or that I think there are any inherent problems with going that route. Obviously these cobb maps are very generic to fit any elevation application and are not specific to each individual car. My worry, is that if I were to use the ots map, if a problem was occurring (I know the chances are small) is there any way for me to correct this or have Cobb perhaps make corrections without having to actually pay for a tune?

Clark charges $150 for the first map, and then $50 additional for any future mod you do to the same car, unless you swap injectors/turbo in which case a new map is needed altogether. Otherwise he can simply alter the map he already gave you so that's why I considered him. Maps that are directly downloadable to my AP, and custom tuned for $50 extra when I buy future mods -- seemed like a pretty good deal to me. My dealer don't seem like they would be the Most Mod friendly, it is the ONLY subaru dealer in the province which kinda sucks... Newfoundland's pretty far out :p

They kind of warned me of the hazards of just going stage 1 (service manager)... even after I told them that I knew for a fact how blatantly terrible the stock tune is.

Other worthwhile note, Clark doesn't tune for just the downpipe + intake though. He has a database of maps for certain mods, and his stage 2 base map require an upgraded IC and a new BPV because he says its tuned at 20psi, which would probably blow my plastic IC and cause the stock BPV to leak.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Some cars take a base map well, some don't. Only way to tell is to flash the map and datalog.

In your case, I'd go StageII first. If you have issues, contact Cobb (you bought their support when you got the AP). If youre still not satisfied, someone here may be able to help, or you can then use Clark.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
J_Maher_WRX said:
I bought the AP from Nameless Performance :p So would Cobb still give me tech support/perhaps make corrections to the map if something were to go wrong?
I can't see why they would deny you based on where you purchased the AP. If their map isn't taking well, the proper thing to do is get you setup with one that does, as long as you're following the guidelines in the map notes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet! I wasn't sure if they would be sticky over whether I bought it from them or not as I've never directly dealt with the guys at Cobb before.

THanks for the advice though guys. I think I may just get the Downpipe and flash stage 2. If any problems occur I'll see if Cobb can help me out and if not I'll see if I can pay Clark or someone to just tweak the stage 2 map for me.

Quick question, could the Tuner take Cobb's ots map and tweak it without running significantly higher boost (maybe +1 psi or something) and make a decent amount of extra power? I know I should prob ask Clark that but may as well ask here while I'm on before I go shooting off texts or emails :)

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Personally for me a Cobb accessport is really only to get up to Portland for an actual protune. If I had a tuner in my town with a dyno I'd never buy an accessport. My tuner can email me a base map but to be honest even that isn't very safe since I am driving 5 hrs on a freeway with nothing but mountains and semi trucks.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
J_Maher_WRX said:
Sweet! I wasn't sure if they would be sticky over whether I bought it from them or not as I've never directly dealt with the guys at Cobb before.

THanks for the advice though guys. I think I may just get the Downpipe and flash stage 2. If any problems occur I'll see if Cobb can help me out and if not I'll see if I can pay Clark or someone to just tweak the stage 2 map for me.

Quick question, could the Tuner take Cobb's ots map and tweak it without running significantly higher boost (maybe +1 psi or something) and make a decent amount of extra power? I know I should prob ask Clark that but may as well ask here while I'm on before I go shooting off texts or emails :)
They should be able to. However, many tuners will have their own base map to work from.

Detonation is what kills motors. There's a balance between boost / timing / fueling that each tuner sets up differently to make power; you can ask for as aggressive / conservative a tune as you'd like.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
When in doubt, or just in need of a second opinion, I post logs for this guy. ^

Speaking of, I know I owe you a new one with just TPS, boost, and RPMs. Stupid xmas preparations are interfering with my data logging joy. :)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
lokey said:
When in doubt, or just in need of a second opinion, I post logs for this guy. ^
There are plenty of people capable of helping interpret logs, some better than I. I'd put more faith in Donkey's assessment than my own, for example.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
All I can say is that when I data logged the cobb ots stgII ... I was not happy with what I found. I dont think its an engine killer.. but its definitely not what I'm comfy with and its not as driveable as I'd prefer either. I'd run it as far as to get it to a tuner and let them fix any issues from there.

In my experience ots= Oh This Sucks. Not exactly a map you want to run long term, but definitely better than the factory maps.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Test post

1 - 17 of 17 Posts