ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just ordered my Cobb accessport for my 2011 WRX sedan.

Will be flashing the car to stage 1 immediately of course :) but I do have a fewww questions that I'm hoping you guys can answer:

For starters, I know looking on the Cobb website I can get a general idea of what kind of gains to expect, but I'm just wondering if those numbers are really a good judge, it just seems weird to me that they say a stock WRX puts 255 wtq but is only rated for 244 at the crank, or were they just being conservative?

I'm also thinking of getting the Cobb sf intake, but I was wondering why, if say I were to upgrade to stage 2 (which I definitely will be, already got te nameless axleback, midpipe and downpipe to come) that the stage 2 + intake actually yields much less tq over the powerband than just the stage 2 tune..

Basically I'm wondering if that really is the case or is it a mistake on Cobbs part or is it for real? Anyone know why this is the case if it IS true? Obviously don't want to invest in an intake if it'll just decrease performance later when I go stage 2.

Thanks guys, appreciate any feedback!

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
J_Maher_WRX said:
For starters, I know looking on the Cobb website I can get a general idea of what kind of gains to expect, but I'm just wondering if those numbers are really a good judge, it just seems weird to me that they say a stock WRX puts 255 wtq but is only rated for 244 at the crank, or were they just being conservative?
Max numbers mean nothing, because every dyno reads different. The important thing is the delta.

J_Maher_WRX said:
I'm also thinking of getting the Cobb sf intake, but I was wondering why, if say I were to upgrade to stage 2 (which I definitely will be, already got te nameless axleback, midpipe and downpipe to come) that the stage 2 + intake actually yields much less tq over the powerband than just the stage 2 tune..
Area under the curve > Max values

This isn't the Cobb SRI map, but it's an overlay of StageII / StageII+AEM. The max torque values are equal, but if you look above 4200 RPMs, there's ~10whp/wtq more with the AEM map.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know it's area under the curve what matters most and not peak numbers, but I was basically referring to the stage 2 and stage 2 AEM maps, both 91 octane as it's the highest I can get here.. Haha on that comparison the just stage 2 map has considerable more tq than the stage 2 + AEM, I'm going by the Cobb maps on Accesscu dyno database thing

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
J_Maher_WRX said:
Yeah I know it's area under the curve what matters most and not peak numbers, but I was basically referring to the stage 2 and stage 2 AEM maps, both 91 octane as it's the highest I can get here.. Haha on that comparison the just stage 2 map has considerable more tq than the stage 2 + AEM, I'm going by the Cobb maps on Accesscu dyno database thing

Interesting...

I would contact Cobb about this. It could be that the two plots had a significant change in weather/humidity, etc., or that it was on a different dyno (there are multiple Cobb facilities). I wouldn't think an intake on a StageII VFXX car would reduce power (especially as much as it did, considering there is a 25wtq difference ~2800).

·
Registered
558 Posts
Let me know the difference after you flash it. I am contemplating this as well, but I am worried about warranty issues

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
twister8008 said:
Let me know the difference after you flash it. I am contemplating this as well, but I am worried about warranty issues
Then keep your car stock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i just flashed stage 1 on my '11 wrx this week. noticable gains in tq and seems to feel like there is less turbo lag. when you unmarry the ap it will put the factory settings back on your ECU

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
oh and it seems to shift smoother too. im excited to get a dp and go stage 2

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Then keep your car stock.
Exactly, you have to make a choice here. No risk = no reward.

i just flashed stage 1 on my '11 wrx this week. noticable gains in tq and seems to feel like there is less turbo lag. when you unmarry the ap it will put the factory settings back on your ECU
I think you can just put the factory map back on it and you don't need to unmarry it. I think but I don't know for sure...

oh and it seems to shift smoother too. im excited to get a dp and go stage 2
The changes in the engine map can smooth out the powerband and make it seem like it's shifting more smoothly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Interesting...

I would contact Cobb about this. It could be that the two plots had a significant change in weather/humidity, etc., or that it was on a different dyno (there are multiple Cobb facilities). I wouldn't think an intake on a StageII VFXX car would reduce power (especially as much as it did, considering there is a 25wtq difference ~2800).
Yeah exactly my thoughts, and I'll email someone at Cobb see if they can resolve the issue.

Also for anyone who has already flashed to stage 1, is it really just upload the map and you're done? Or do you have to do multiple WOT runs afterwards an check for knock and afr ratios and whatnot, or is that already done for you in each map?? Completely new to this whole engine tuning thing, hope I don't come off as a complete moron :p haha

And yes I'll give a review of the stage 1 soon as I gety accessport and have it installed :)

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Also for anyone who has already flashed to stage 1, is it really just upload the map and you're done? Or do you have to do multiple WOT runs afterwards an check for knock and afr ratios and whatnot, or is that already done for you in each map?? Completely new to this whole engine tuning thing, hope I don't come off as a complete moron :p haha

And yes I'll give a review of the stage 1 soon as I gety accessport and have it installed :)
It's very simple - once you in stall and flash it you are set. The gains will be felt the next several times you drive it (I felt like the second trip out was when I could really feel the difference in Stg 1). It is a good idea to do a few logs just to make sure things are cool, but the Cobb maps are designed to be pretty safe. I know they leave some power on the table, but it so to better retain reliability.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the Stage 1 tune installed now for about 2 weeks, gave it a little time so that I could get over the initial excitement and give a fair review.

It honestly is an awesome change from stock, I'm certainly not going to say that its night and day in terms of power, but it does give a very noticeable increase in high rpm power and low end torque. The biggest thing i noticed is the decrease in turbolag. Even when starting in first gear and going 10-15 mph, if you put your foot down it instantly takes off, seems to be a lot less turbo lag in all gears and they all pull harder right to redline rather than dying at like 5500 rpms w/stock. Most definitely feel the biggest difference in third and fourth gears tho, they seem to pull much harder. Not gonna lie, the LC and FFS is quite nice too, though I don't recommend doing it vrey often as it can hurt your transmission/clutch/lsd.

On the other side, even if the AP added no power at all, I would buy it again just for how much smoother the powerband is over stock, it is immediately noticeable at how much smoother the car is when it is accelerating and even at idle.

The ONLY downside . . . now I want a downpipe and even more power haha

As for warranty claims, NOTHING can actually void your warranty, however they can deny a warranty claim. The way I look at it, the car is more likely to have something go wrong if you leave it stock and continue to go WOT with it as the stock tune is TERRIBLE! With the Stage 1 tune, it is much safer than stock and also adds power. If worst comes to worst, and something goes wrong, you can uninstall the AP, return it to stock config., and tell the dealership that you had to remove your battery for whatever reason, which actually resets your ecu. All they can tell, at the dealership, is that the ecu has been reset. There is no way for the dealership themselves to tell if that reset of the ecu was the AP or the battery, so you have a bit of a safety net there. This is of course, if you know that your local dealership are in general, difficult to deal with and are not very understanding when it comes to aftermarket tuning/mods. My dearlership is pretty good with these things, and said they'd try to back me if anything went wrong, unless it was something major.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went to stage II this weekend, bypassing stage I. I'm using the Torqued Performance tune and this is the first tuned Subaru I have ever experienced. Previous cars were Porsche 928GT, Porsche 993, Lotus Elise, Nissan 370z and the WRX feels quicker than them all. The pull from 3100 rpm and up is insane, even in 5th gear!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
yup....it only took me like 4months to buy a dp after stg1.
Not to hijack the OPs thread,but which DP did you get & how did the install go.

Is it obnoxiously loud now?You have the Nameless CBE,right?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lokey man I now know first hand what it is when people refer to the "mod bug" hahaha

I plan on only getting things that are directly transferable to an STi as I will be trading the WRX in on one in a few years, maybe 2014 or 2015 models (crosses fingers and hopes the new generation doesnt RUIN the WRX/STi).
Will probably just finish the complete Nameless TBE, need the down and mid pipes, and get a tune, that'll tide me over until I get the STi .. hopefully. haha I just don't want to go too crazy on the WRX as I know it just can't handle all that power if it is regularly driven hard, which is why I wont really start modding till I get the STi (bigger turbo, fuel pump, injectors, FMI or upgraded TMI etc.)

and Tony! how dare you!! haha just playing man :D I'm interested in that as well, I would love for Fallen to say he got the Nameless DP as I would like to hear a first hand account of how well it performs .. and maybe get a youtube video of it :)

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Okay, sway and bushings, just to get rid of this dreaded understeer, and that's it.....okay, okay, and the dowpipe, silly to stay at stage 1 when the stage 2 map is free.....okay, okay, LAST thing, so maybe I need some gauges to monitor all this stuff.....serious this time, this is it, I mean it, TMIC, 18G, pump, injectors....PPGs.....lol

1 - 20 of 33 Posts