Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!

Recently picked up a 2011 WRX with about 100k miles. Noticed a burning smell after most drives, most commonly after going WOT in first or second (clutch already fully engaged). I also noticed the transmission would "bounce" off the clutch sometimes in 1st or shudder the transmission (also while fully engaged) which I believe are all signs of a slipping clutch. Also noticed a leak forming at the bottom of the skid plate, just below the intercooler. Still learning so forgive me! But I can't tell if its transmission fluid or oil, both have good levels.

Anyways, tldr: Looking for recommendations on a new stage II clutch and lightweight flywheel, or just a better than OEM stage I. Don't need anything crazy, but just to have a better idea of which are "good" and which to avoid. Just something a bit better than OEM and can handle more power once I get a few bolt ons.

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
The oem handles a fair amount of power.

Either way, most known clutch companies make good clutches. South bend, exedy, competition clutch, Kentucky clutch.

Just don't waste money on too much clutch. You'll find that buying a puck clutch for 300hp will annihilate your driving experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice! I figured since I was already replacing it, might as well upgrade. Would a stage 1 clutch be good for something that's pretty daily drivable but can take a bit more abuse than the OEM? Or do you think the OEM should be good enough for a stock or bolt on car? I tend to drive some what aggressively and wasn't sure if a stage 1 aftermarket would be a bit more heavy duty.

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Staged anything is typically hogwash. Everyone has a different idea of what stage 1 vs stage 2 vs stage 3 actually amounts to.

What you need to look for is it's torque handling. Most companies give you a torque spec for the clutch, it's usually engine torque and not wheel torque. So if you have 350ft/lbs on a chassis Dyno and a clutch that supports 350lbs it's going to slip because the engine is probably making closer to 420.

Most performance shops can help you decide for your application.

Places like Kentucky clutch and others can build a custom clutch for you. You tell them what you have, what you need, and they pull one out of stock or build one for you. They also remanufacture various clutch components like the flywheel and pressure plate if you need a racing clutch rebuilt. These type of places are everywhere in the states and it's worth seeing if you have one near you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts