ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine went at 54k. Anyone else have it go so soon?
Strangely, after the clutch replacement, it takes about half the force to depress it.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
my clutch went early due to my own mistakes...but i agree when I got mine replaced it was like a feather, and had zero feeling...i hated it...it will tighten back up tho

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What were the mistakes? My impression is that this car has so much traction that during a "launch" the only thing that can give is the clutch.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Subaru dealer can fix it for free inside the 5 yr 60k powertrain warranty if they feel like it even though its officially excluded from warranty coverage. If you have a good relationship with your dealer see if they will "goodwill" it for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know. They didn't mention anything about them goodwilling it when I asked. They said I should contact Subaru directly but that they haven't seen a goodwill so it was not likely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cost seemed to vary depending on who I called. I easily got quotes ranging $400. In the end I went with the cheapest and it cost $1650 after tax. They were able to overnight the parts and get it done the next day. I drive spiritedly, but I was very disappointed in the 54k miles :(

·
Banned
296 Posts
Thanks. I ordered a 12' wrx and this is good information to know. I have a 2009' right now but it has very low miles on it. How did you put so many miles on an 11' already?

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
I learned how to drive manual incorrectly...I changed how I drive mid was through my first clutch...too late tho. Yes, it is true that launching the car causes the most stress on the weakest point, which in this case is your clutch. Mine was covered, but the bill was for about $1k

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
I learned how to drive manual incorrectly...I changed how I drive mid was through my first clutch...too late tho. Yes, it is true that launching the car causes the most stress on the weakest point, which in this case is your clutch. Mine was covered, but the bill was for about $1k
That's.... debatable, especially when launching the car.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I learned how to drive manual incorrectly...I changed how I drive mid was through my first clutch...too late tho.
Do elaborate a bit if you don't mind. What specifically were you doing that was incorrect? I only ask in case anyone reading this thread is doing the same thing without knowing it (myself included). I taught myself to drive a manual on my civic and I didn't realize I was doing things incorrectly until very late in that cars life (using the clutch to maintain on hills, using the clutch as a brake at times by pumping it, etc). Lucky for me I realized the issues before I bougth the WRX.

·
Registered
759 Posts
In the end I went with the cheapest and it cost $1650 after tax.
Whoa - WHAT?! It cost $1650 to replace a CLUTCH?

Holy crap...

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
Bah that sucks. I'm 98K on the original clutch and stage 2

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
Bah that sucks. I'm 98K on the original clutch and stage 2
well you're just amazing:rolleyes: lol

I was using it as a brake, especially to "suck" me into corners.

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
I was using it as a brake, especially to "suck" me into corners.
Engine braking is fine, but you want to minimize the clutch wear. I double-clutch on all downshifts (and heel toe where applicable).

·
Registered
759 Posts
I rev-match on every downshift, but it's more of a side-of-my-foot thing rather than a heel-toe thing cuz my feet are so big. I still don't get the point of double-clutching. Probably cuz I'm a noob.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
i now rev match when turning in...also a side of foot thing, since my skate shoes are wide.

what is engine braking? I was looking into it before and getting really unclear information. Can one of you answer with extremely noobish details, and then flog me later

·
Æternum
20,602 Posts
what is engine braking? I was looking into it before and getting really unclear information.
Using the moment of inertia of the flywheel to slow the car.

Actually, it's not just the flywheel, it's the whole rotating assembly. As the rotating assembly attempts to slow, the wheels resist the force. Thus, the rotating assembly puts drag onto the wheels and the car slows down. You engine brake by downshifting and letting the motor slow your car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts