ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first awd car. i have always driven fwd cars. i live in an area with a bunch of twisty roads so driving is fun. i have noticed the sti 5 door seems to under steer compared to my fwd cars. is this normal for awd?

do you guys have any suggestions on how to tighten these cars up?

i have not fulled around with the center diff settings yet.
i have just left it in the auto mode.

don't get me wrong the car is bad a$$ i really like it. i just wish it did not push out so much.

any help is appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks there is some good info in that thread.

·
"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre"
2,190 Posts
rear sway bar.... more camber in the front.

That will tighten the whole car up :)

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
this is my first awd car. i have always driven fwd cars. i live in an area with a bunch of twisty roads so driving is fun. i have noticed the sti 5 door seems to under steer compared to my fwd cars. is this normal for awd?

do you guys have any suggestions on how to tighten these cars up?

i have not fulled around with the center diff settings yet.
i have just left it in the auto mode.

don't get me wrong the car is bad a$$ i really like it. i just wish it did not push out so much.

any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Been fighting the same battle. Keep in mind, the springs on the 2011's are more 'oversteer' biased than previous years. Upgrading to springs (such as RCE Blacks in my case) will give you better/smoother control of the vehicle, but won't really cut understeer like it has in previous models. That being said, it was still an awesome upgrade.

Put the DCCD in auto-. Not a huge improvement, but will help a bit.

Get a custom alignment ASAP. I'd ask them to max out negative front camber, with no cross. Zero toe on the front, and as close to zero as they can comfortably get on the rear without messing camber up too badly. I went with -1.0, and wish I would have gone to at least -1.5. Regardless, the factory alignment on mine was terrible. I'm pretty sure it messed up my back tires - it had about .2 toe on it from the factory on the back right for example.

Just getting a rear sway bar will help, but I'd suggest an adjustable front while you are at it... although I'm sure after a custom alignment you'll be pretty happy. I have the RCE ones, and after setting them correctly and getting the end links lined up properly so the front is on soft and the rear is on firm has really helped out a lot. My car feels very neutral in the turns - more like you are tossing a go kart around instead of aiming a missile.

Also, can't recommend anything without giving a shout out to driveline bushings. Turninconcepts makes a 6mt 'super shift kit' with their linkage/pivot/front/rear shifter bushings plus their short throw lever. Add in their crossmember bushings and GrpN transmission mount (pending if the noise will bother you - I like it)... The car will feel like a new beast. The rear diff inserts were really a great buy as well. Steering rack bushings were a 'meh' for me, but they did help a bit - I notice it more when my front sway bar is set to soft for some reason.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Similar to supermoto, consider setting your corners up a bit and using braking or engine compression to get the ass-end loose then powering out in a controlled slide.

Helps to practice this technique in a safe environment. Keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i finely got a custom alignment done and i must say what an improvement. the stock alignment was way out of whack every wheel had something different going on. now the car actually will rotate through the turns instead of pushing like a truck. i am still going to order a rear sway bar i am hoping for that planted go-cart type feel.
we will see.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I have a sedan, not a wagon, but I found the handling to be pretty much perfect with the factory setup while running the car around a track. I was debating what suspension mods to do before I tracked the car, and after that, I'm leaving it stock. I really don't think a thicker sway is going to improve the overall handling. I'd stick with just the alignment personally until you take it to a track and really see how it handles.

That being said, I'll probably try some new sways next year and see how they do on the track. Worst case, I take them off and go back to stock and sell the new sways for probably close to what I paid for them if they don't improve it on the track. For me, dialing out some of the understeer would make it even more perfect, even though understeer is desirable if you want to maintain safer handling at the limits when you're really skidding.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I have a sedan, not a wagon, but I found the handling to be pretty much perfect with the factory setup while running the car around a track. I was debating what suspension mods to do before I tracked the car, and after that, I'm leaving it stock. I really don't think a thicker sway is going to improve the overall handling. I'd stick with just the alignment personally until you take it to a track and really see how it handles.

That being said, I'll probably try some new sways next year and see how they do on the track. Worst case, I take them off and go back to stock and sell the new sways for probably close to what I paid for them if they don't improve it on the track. For me, dialing out some of the understeer would make it even more perfect, even though understeer is desirable if you want to maintain safer handling at the limits when you're really skidding.
I'd suggest a custom alignment if for no other reason than to prevent any tire wear issues. The rear toe on mine was jacked up. Still not perfect because it through camber out when fixed completely. After rotating my tires, I can feel a small midget pulling my wheel right. After I put my winters on I will be able to blame the rear toe for sure.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts