ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During stop & go, I get spikes of temperature up to 230F. This is when I'm driving in residential neighborhood, downshifting, and then coming to a stop for few minutes. Not going over 3K rpm, so im not being stupid and abusing car. Doesn't happen often. Usually i don't see spikes over 210F, generally in the normal area of 195-205 on street, and way 190-195 on highway.

My engine is at about 220K kilometers, i have Stage 2+ AP (so manifold-back 3" exhaust, dedicated 94 Octane map from Neetronics, new race CFS Rad, I have new water pump (as last year, i tracked and aftermath was broken water pump), i have had the coolant flushed at that time as well.

I drive enthusiastically, and i want the car to handle that. What would be suggestions as to how solve the issue.. I want to have peace of mind, and never see temps go over 210-215F UNLESS its hot summer track day, and your pushing the car. To your knowledge, would the following help:

-removing A/C condenser to get more fresh air flow to rad
-upgrading the fans
-any other suggestions.

Thank you, looking forward to suggestions!

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,009 Posts
I suspect one of your two fans is malfunctioning. I see no need to upgrade them, nor is there such an option — the usual
suspect aftermarket fans are, well, suspect.

There’s something wrong with the OEM system and it sounds like you’re not getting both fans to turn on when they should. One is probably borked.

My bugeye would see temp spikes in stop/go but not on the open road. One fan had failed. This sounds like you. Find out which fan failed, make sure the electric connection is OK (did you reconnect it when you replaced the water pump, for example?) and if all else checks out, replace the motor or the entire fan+motor assembly. That fixed it for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect one of your two fans is malfunctioning. I see no need to upgrade them, nor is there such an option — the usual
suspect aftermarket fans are, well, suspect.

There’s something wrong with the OEM system and it sounds like you’re not getting both fans to turn on when they should. One is probably borked.

My bugeye would see temp spikes in stop/go but not on the open road. One fan had failed. This sounds like you. Find out which fan failed, make sure the electric connection is OK (did you reconnect it when you replaced the water pump, for example?) and if all else checks out, replace the motor or the entire fan+motor assembly. That fixed it for me.
Thank you!(y) I didn't even think of that. And it does fit the profile of why such spike is only when it's low speed stop n go. Great suggestion! Thanks again! I will update here if that was the solution.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts