ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after a lot of reading and shopping around I'm confused as to what is "safe" and what isn't.

Cobb Tuning says not to install an Intake without a tune.
Perrin doesn't say to tune and if you've got a tune you need to reflash.
K & N make an Apollo intake that doesn't require a tune.
AEM intake doesn't require tune but says you can only use in "mild" weather...lol

Are people putting intakes on these cars and which units are the best???

After looking at all of them I think the K&N is the best compromise of increased air intake volume, all weather usability and design/fit finish.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still reading...learning whats safe and smart to do. Probly do an intake and inlet pipe @ same time...then tune after getting a downpipe/TBE.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
All intakes should be tuned for, I wouldn't listen to manufacturers of intakes. K&N makes a good product and that's the intake my tuner recommended, but he will be tuning my car after I install it

·
Registered
380 Posts
Number one rule with subarus, once you get into modification anyway- When in doubt, TUNE IT. Don't pay attention to what anyone says is safe without a tune. Because there's no proof it is or isn't safe, and we KNOW you won't be getting much benefit from it unless you tune it....So why even consider modifying it without a tune? All it's gonna do is make your engine run less efficiently than it should. Just doesn't seem worth it without a tune

·
Registered
813 Posts
Intake should really be tuned. I have the perrin which is ok. The aem is a very popular and good intake. They say only for use in mild weather because it hoes pretty far down, but I am in New England and know a lot of people who have the aem without issue with snow or rain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. Reading the forums from when the '11s came out, getting a Short Ram or CAI really wasn't a popular option since they apparently weren't big on the previous year cars. Then as time has gone on I've read more and more recent stuff that people are getting "big" numbers from an intake.

So on my list would be Intake and either the Cobb AP or some other "professional" tune.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i live near cleveland ohio and am in the same boat. I have an 11' STI and no matter what thread you read it always has pros and cons about modding. if you decide to get the that work done keep us updated. i would like to hear what path you chose and how it worked out. Did you have a Protune Shop in mind that you were going to use?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will do that. I'm thinking Inlet Pipe and Intake with a tune before winter time. Then I'll go for a downpipe in the Spring.

I have no recommendations on tuning shops as of yet. There is a shop in Wakeman, Ohio, just west of where I'm at called Buschur Racing. They specialize in EVO's but they have experience with Imprezas as well. They have an AWD dyno and a good reputation in the area. I haven't searched for Subaru "friendly" shops.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Personally I'd wait on the tune and intake until you have the money for a downpipe. Otherwise you're going to have to pay twice to get it tuned.

Intakes do seem to provide some benefit on the newer models, whereas on the older models, they didn't give you any power gains, only more sound. I'd stick with a dry filter fender unit with a heatshield (i.e. AEM). Oiled filters are notorious for causing MAF issues not only on Subarus, but any car. Short ram just sucks in hot engine bay air so you shouldn't bother considering those.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Personally, I would have the car tuned regardless. And as teflon_jones mentioned, you might want to save up for a downpipe to go with the intake before the tune.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2011 STI that I have the Cobb AP was really impressed with the change and I too was thinking of changing the air intake my question is how would i tune for an intake with the Cobb, from what I could find on it it is set for original air intake only, also curious as to what boost numbers people are getting with the Cobb I'm hitting regularly 19-20.5 and on occasion up to 23 burning 91 Octane thought the numbers seemed high

·
Registered
279 Posts
Personally I'd wait on the tune and intake until you have the money for a downpipe. Otherwise you're going to have to pay twice to get it tuned.

Intakes do seem to provide some benefit on the newer models, whereas on the older models, they didn't give you any power gains, only more sound. I'd stick with a dry filter fender unit with a heatshield (i.e. AEM). Oiled filters are notorious for causing MAF issues not only on Subarus, but any car. Short ram just sucks in hot engine bay air so you shouldn't bother considering those.
Gotta disagree with you there Scotty. I done quite a bit of research about intakes and basically compared the pros/cons between the AEM and the Cobb SF intake systems (both with cobb ots maps) before I ordered mine(Cobb SF), and my conclusion were as follows:

The AEM is your typical "CAI" with the filter protruding into the fender well where the air is 'cooler.' However, the AEM is made of aluminum and it has longer piping than the SF, therefore the intake velocity is slower and the aluminum is more likely to absorb heat from the engine bay, although I would hope it would have some form of a heat resistant coating. The SF intake is Cobb's SRI as you know, but when coupled with the air box they sell, it effectively becomes its own CAI as the bottom of the box is open to the fender well where the AEM would reside anyways. It is also made of composite material which is better for dissipating heat.

This is the way I looked at it. Neither intake will benefit over the other in terms of power if it is one of the first mods done to the car, the AEM may get a couple more at the crank, if that. The only time that the AEM will show any 'significant' increase in power over the SF SRI, would be when the car is producing 400+ hp, in which case, you would probably have a front mount intercooler installed by that time, and in most cases a FMI requires a SRI anyways. And when it comes down to it, yes the oiled filters may be a bit more of a pain in terms of maintenance, but in all honesty, how easy is it to access the AEM filter when it is lodged down in the fender well? Easy access to the Cobb, just unscrew the top of the box and remove the filter.

Just my point of view Jones :) I think you might disagree with me tho haha

To the OP: Considering those advantages/disadvantages, I went with te Cobb SF, considering you will probably never modify the car to the point that you will notice the gains from the AEM over the SF anyways.

I do agree with Jones tho, if you dont have the accessport and are going to get the intake/protune, may as well wait and get the downpipe/intake + protune all at once and save some money.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
The AEM is your typical "CAI" with the filter protruding into the fender well where the air is 'cooler.' However, the AEM is made of aluminum and it has longer piping than the SF, therefore the intake velocity is slower and the aluminum is more likely to absorb heat from the engine bay, although I would hope it would have some form of a heat resistant coating. The SF intake is Cobb's SRI as you know, but when coupled with the air box they sell, it effectively becomes its own CAI as the bottom of the box is open to the fender well where the AEM would reside anyways. It is also made of composite material which is better for dissipating heat.
+1 (+ clean filter and MAF sensor every 12K, takes every bit of 10 minutes)

....and buy 2 filters, so you don't have to wait for the other one to dry.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
If you do not have the intake maps preloaded on your AP,you can download them from the Cobb website for free.

You will find maps only for the AEM & Cobb intakes on the website.If you bought the AP from Perrin then in addition to the aforementioned maps you will get the Perrin intake maps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts