ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read a ton of threads on the 2011 and 2012 headlights fogging up but none seem to come out with a definite answer. I have a 2011 and the previous owner put in 8000k HID lights and I loved the way they looked but being in Utah they are WORTHLESS in any sort of rain or snow. So on Saturday I did the H11 to H9 mod and I love the new lights but I noticed after I washed my car that both lights had some condensation in them. I doubt I can go to the dealer because the previous owner had to drill into the back plastic,rubber seal that covers the low beams. I never had any condensation issues when I had the HIDs even with 2 washes and 2 heavy rain days. I assume I did not put the back housings on tight enough or did not get a good enough seal. Its been two days and the condensation area has gotten smaller but is still there. My question to you guys is do you think if I popped my hood and took out the headlights and let them sit for a while with no housing on the back and no lights that this would suck the moisture out?

Thanks in advance guys. I am LOVING the car so far. It is an amazing machine, cant wait for some warmer weather to start modding.

P.S. Could someone tell me the RIGHT name of the color of my car.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Welcome!

If its silver (from the looks of my monitor) then you have the 2011 Sparks Silver WRX. As far as your headlight... chances are if you bring your car into the dealer with the condensation issue they'll turn you away since they have been altered from factory. If I were you I would remove the lights, bring them inside or something and inspect them to see if there are any leaks or cracks that can cause the condensation. Maybe seal where the previous owner drilled in the cap for the HIDs better to make sure no air or moisture is getting in. Other than that I'm not to sure what you can do. I have a slight condensation in my headlights but isn't too bad. I would search around on the forum or wait for someone to chime in on the forum with personal experiences. I think most people here brought it back into the dealer to have them deal with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes it is silver, sorry I should have specified. To pull the lights totally out requires removal of the bumper correct?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Subaru wrx sti - headlight removal - TUTORIAL DIY - YouTube

^ That should help give you an idea. I only suggest you remove the housing as a whole so you can get a proper look to see if there is anything causing the condensation.

**Spark Silver Metallic... sorry "Spark" was not suppose to be plural lol.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
My suggestion is just to get dry air into the housings with a hair dryer or something and then seal it back up as best you can.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can order new caps from subaru on line and then take to dealer. Did you seal the rear caps after you took the HID bulbs out? Take the caps off and use a hair dryer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My suggestion is just to get dry air into the housings with a hair dryer or something and then seal it back up as best you can.
I think this is what I will end up doing. By the way, how is your stage I 2011 in comparison to your 04 STi?

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
...By the way, how is your stage I 2011 in comparison to your 04 STi?
Hmmm...that's a really hard question to answer. The 11 WRX is so much more refined than the 04 STi. "Raw" is the best way to describe my old car. The WRX isn't nearly as jarring, as loud, as annoying to drive on long trips and actually has features like a radio (was an option in the 04 STi). The STi was stage II right up until I traded it in so when I test drove the WRX I remember thinking it was so slow, lol. Stage I makes a big difference for the WRX from stock in my opinion though. I bet it's close to stock or even Stage I STi hp but still a long way away from the Stage II setup I used to have.

There's something to be said about the suspension though as well. My STi was much more grounded than my new car. I have a completely new suspension coming for the WRX so when I get it all on the car I bet the driver feel is right up there with my old STi. Having the WRX sit down when cornering will make it "quicker" which is what I think it's really lacking right now...too much body roll. Hope that answers your question. It's almost an apples to oranges scenario but a Stage II 2011 WRX with the proper suspension would hang just fine with a Stage II 2004 STi I think. That's obviously my end goal once warranty is up.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Get new headlight caps, install yourself, problem solved.

Welcome!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm...that's a really hard question to answer. The 11 WRX is so much more refined than the 04 STi. "Raw" is the best way to describe my old car. The WRX isn't nearly as jarring, as loud, as annoying to drive on long trips and actually has features like a radio (was an option in the 04 STi). The STi was stage II right up until I traded it in so when I test drove the WRX I remember thinking it was so slow, lol. Stage I makes a big difference for the WRX from stock in my opinion though. I bet it's close to stock or even Stage I STi hp but still a long way away from the Stage II setup I used to have.

There's something to be said about the suspension though as well. My STi was much more grounded than my new car. I have a completely new suspension coming for the WRX so when I get it all on the car I bet the driver feel is right up there with my old STi. Having the WRX sit down when cornering will make it "quicker" which is what I think it's really lacking right now...too much body roll. Hope that answers your question. It's almost an apples to oranges scenario but a Stage II 2011 WRX with the proper suspension would hang just fine with a Stage II 2004 STi I think. That's obviously my end goal once warranty is up.
I have a couple of friends that have given me crap for not getting an 06-07 STi (or even an 08). To me I would take the comfort and softer suspension to have a better all around car to use as a DD. I used to have a Mazdaspeed 3 which in a straight line wasnt nearly as fast as the rex but it did have very noticeably stiffer suspension. Somedays I love the smooth ride (compared to my MS3) and other days I miss the low amount of body roll around turns. Regardless I cant wait to go stage I. I just need Obama to hurry up and send me my tax return!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts