ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2011 charger RT for my wife and baby as a family car. Mind you this is a very fast car and has a power to weight ratio very similar to a stock STI; 10.25 to the sti's 10.33 hp/lb. Well I was driving to work the other day in the Charger because my bugeye is in the shop and a STI pulled up next to me, we were doing 70 on the highway. Well he wanted to race, i could tell by the whole advance fall back advance movement. So we did the 3 2 1 countdown and we were off. Before I could even get to 80 this STI must have been at 115+ before I could blink. AMAZING car this guy had. He then preceded to pull in front of me and put his four ways on which I can only assume he was telling me I was slow. He made me feel like I was driving a hyundai accent. BUT on the other hand I can haul a full days worth of my wife's shopping, a kid thats in a car seat, stroller and high chair, and 4 adults including myself very comfortably. But we all know that doesn't matter at all :cool: So moral of the story I got smoked.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,446 Posts
How does the build quality compare between your Charger and your Impreza? I bet the charger has a better back seat, but is the interior fit/finish comparable, better, etc.? Has it been reliable so far?

·
Registered
226 Posts
BUT on the other hand I can haul a full days worth of my wife's shopping, a kid thats in a car seat, stroller and high chair, and 4 adults including myself very comfortably. But we all know that doesn't matter at all :cool: So moral of the story I got smoked.
Couldn't you do all that stuff with a WRX / STI??

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Was it blue? If so, it could have been an acquaintance of mine (based on your location), in which case, it is heavily modified.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,446 Posts
I looked up images of the Charger R/T AWD. It looks handsome in grey but I prefer wheels that are not chromed.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I can tell you from experience that an STi is going to take a charger/challenger/300 in a dig race any day of the week.. Especially if modified.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
T0rque said:
I can tell you from experience that an STi is going to take a charger/challenger/300 in a dig race any day of the week.. Especially if modified.
TurboBoost said:
we were doing 70 on the highway. Well he wanted to race, i could tell by the whole advance fall back advance movement. So we did the 3 2 1 countdown and we were off. Before I could even get to 80 this STI must have been at 115+ before I could blink.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
I know, I was also throwing up there that they will loose from a dig as well..

Should of worded different maybe..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Couldn't you do all that stuff with a WRX / STI??
There is no way you can fit four adults and a babyseat in a wrx with a days worth of shopping with a stroller, a carseat, and 4 adults over 6 ft. no way in hell. The charger is 4 times bigger. And if you did fit all that stuff and people, everyone would be miserable because they are a-hole to elbow with a stroller wheel up there butt.

I didn't really get into a full comparison of the two because they are such different cars. But I will since it was asked. In short the WRX in every aspect besides performance sucks compared to the charger. The build quality in a WRX is crap, the materials are crap, and the paint sucks terrible. But you spend 25k on a car that is designed to drive well and go fast with the money spent on the technology of the performance of the engine. Getting 300 hp out of a 2.5 litre engine takes alot of computers and tweaking and straight up fine tuning. So the money is spent on that instead of creature comfort.

The charger is a modern muscle car built for comfort. All of the materials are soft to the touch and feel great and are quality. There are no rattles, or squeeks or odd clunks now an then, it is quiet and refined. The $38,000 the car cost is put into the new design of the body and the interior. The motor is the same as it has always been. Big displacement+ lots of fuel= Big power. 370 hp and 400 lb/ft tq. for a big muscle car. Everything about the build quality of the Charger is better. And I don't think anyone can dispute that the wrx lacks interior refinement. My charger has an 8 speaker alpine stereo with a 10 inch navigation touch screen that controlls the radio straight to the climate control there is no lacking of anything in this car. It is quiet and drives smooth. The only time it is not quiet is when you mash the pedal and that huge 350 hemi just roars, and man does it have one excellent engine note. Its reliable and has had no problems as of yet. It only has 12k miles on it so time will tell. But I love it.

I bought the WRX as a straight up fun car that handles amazing and is fun to drive. I bought the charger because i wanted big power and be able to drive my family around safely and in comfort, but yet is also fun to drive. The STI that beat me was heavily moddified, I had the windows up AC on, stereo blasting and the turbo still sounded like a Jet engine pulling up beside me, I had no chance even if he gave me 5 car lengths head start. But if I were to put that type of money into the charger that the other guy had in his WRX i'd have a Centrifugal supercharged 383 stroker with half inch cams and probably 800 hp. And once you start having forced induction on a big displacement motor, a small four banger just can't hang without some serious cash.

As far as power goes, a stock WRX can not beat a charger from a rolling start. When my foot goes to the floor the charger instantly has 370 and 400, there is no wait for a turbo to spool up it just goes and with the AWD it will snap your neck right into the head rest, it is no contest. I raced it against my 2002 that is well modded and my buddies 2006 WRX. But I can't compete with a 3k rpm launch thouhg. My car goes 0-60 in 5.4 a WRX will do it in 4.7. Those numbers don't lie but there not the only ones that count. A wrx handles better than the charger but again its a different car. The charger being as big as it is handles spectacularly on the other hand.

To sum it up the WRX is a purpose built car designed to go fast and handle great for a cheap price. The Charger is a 38k dollar car built with a big motor to get respectable performance in a very comfortable and refined ride. I bought the Charger first and then a WRX and I was a bit dissappointed with the interior I won't lie. But I love the way the car drives and performs.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
:shakehead: Street racing FTL

There is no way you can fit four adults and a babyseat in a wrx with a days worth of shopping with a stroller, a carseat, and 4 adults over 6 ft. no way in hell. The charger is 4 times bigger. And if you did fit all that stuff and people, everyone would be miserable because they are a-hole to elbow with a stroller wheel up there butt.
What experience are you basing this on? Because it's entirely possible. There's plenty of room in the trunk. People won't be miserable, but at most mildly uncomfortable.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That there are 4 seating positions in the WRX doesn't make it comparable to the acreage available in the Charger. Dimensions matter and there's just a lot more space in the Charger.

You really can't lump the Charger/300C into the "rattletrap Dodge" category because it was built with heavy Mercedes influence. Many parts are last-generation E-class. I do know I wouldn't be happy with the original R/T, though the current one with more hp may be passable. I'd still choose a used SRT8 instead. I don't know about the mod potential for the AWD variety (how much power it'll hold, etc) but aftermarket for the other platforms is plentiful and potent.

My LGT's build quality had nothing on my 03 Dodge Ram. I preferred the control switches & such on the Legacy but nothing on the Ram has failed, and I drive it WOT enough that I average 9 mpg in town :D

I've said before that the next sedan I buy will be a 300C SRT8. It's the only thing I've driven that I instantly liked as much as I did my Legacy. This time I know to buy used and spend the money I saved on mods. The LGT's $30k purchase price put a dent in the mod budget for years!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:shakehead: Street racing FTL

What experience are you basing this on? Because it's entirely possible. There's plenty of room in the trunk. People won't be miserable, but at most mildly uncomfortable.
Im basing it on the experience that i've tried it and it just doesn't work. It is in no way roomy enough to do it. The carseat has to go in the middle seat because there isn't enough room on the left or right side with someone sitting up front to put the carseat in. And also the trunk is a large trunk but as soon as you put a stroller and a highchair in it it's full, its still only about half the size of the charger's. But the charger can fit stroller, highchair and have plenty of room for plenty of my wifes addiction.

You really can't lump the Charger/300C into the "rattletrap Dodge" category because it was built with heavy Mercedes influence. Many parts are last-generation E-class. I do know I wouldn't be happy with the original R/T, though the current one with more hp may be passable. I'd still choose a used SRT8 instead. I don't know about the mod potential for the AWD variety (how much power it'll hold, etc) but aftermarket for the other platforms is plentiful and potent.

My LGT's build quality had nothing on my 03 Dodge Ram. I preferred the control switches & such on the Legacy but nothing on the Ram has failed, and I drive it WOT enough that I average 9 mpg in town :D

I've said before that the next sedan I buy will be a 300C SRT8. It's the only thing I've driven that I instantly liked as much as I did my Legacy. This time I know to buy used and spend the money I saved on mods. The LGT's $30k purchase price put a dent in the mod budget for years!
Dodge is no longer in any way affiliated with mercedes anymore and is fiat now. There are no more mercedes parts in the new charger, 300, challenger etc. It is a complete redesign of the interior and of the exterior. It still maintains the same general shape of the 1st gen charger but it is a completely different car. Look up some of the reviews on the new charger, you won't find a single bad review. It is a completely different car then what it was last year. I have never been a dodge guy, but when I saw the comercial for it with the new rear end design i knew it was my next car.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The only charger I would buy, would be a 1970. I think the new ones are a big fail! At least make it more of a resemblance to the original and make it a 2door. It's like making a mustang and a camaro in 4door, or even worse a vette! Lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only charger I would buy, would be a 1970. I think the new ones are a big fail! At least make it more of a resemblance to the original and make it a 2door. It's like making a mustang and a camaro in 4door, or even worse a vette! Lol
I couldn't disagree more. This car is a huge success in everyway. Have you even looked at the brand new charger? The rear end is 70s charger in every way and the body lines are spectacular.

Dodge allready has the Challenger which is there two door sports car. The original charger was suppose.to be an intrepid not a charger. The idiots that were running Dodge at the time threw the charger name on it for name recognition it was a bad mistake. And I agree with the 1st Gen 4 door charger being a fail. But the new one was designed with a Guy like me in mind. I have a family and needed a full size sedan. I didn't want a minivnan or impala I wanted power. I'm a gear head and they designed the car around the wants of a family man. Big enough to travel in an powerful enough to rip the skin off your face on a dead stop or a rolling start with an extra 600 lbs of people and stuff in the car. So for the family man who wants a muscle car it is the perfect choice. They.knew what they were doing in this one. And last thing a Corvette is a bad example because it is a two seater and always has been. All those other cars you named were 4 seaters. So it is not a fail in the sense of it being a great car, but a fail in the sense that the nostalgic value was ruined with a four door.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's all personal preference, I would take my 11 hatch over a new charger any day. If I want a mid sized family sedan that has power and more space than a wrx I would go with a e60 BMW m5 or some sort of S class AMG Benz. I am just not a big fan of domestic cars anymore, I just think imports have far superior styling and technology. The BMW and Benz cost more, but you get what you pay for. The new charger just throws me off, I grew up with it being a 2dr muscle power house, not a family truckster with balls. Lo They don't look to bad, but sucks you got all the thugs and goofballs that put 22in and up wheels on them and tarnish the image of the car.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Lets not get into a pissing match over the size of cars, or the fact that the charger is a 4 door.. Also avoid the racial comments that is not needed here.

I <3 Chubbys!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Dodge is no longer in any way affiliated with mercedes anymore and is fiat now. There are no more mercedes parts in the new charger, 300, challenger etc. It is a complete redesign of the interior and of the exterior. It still maintains the same general shape of the 1st gen charger but it is a completely different car. Look up some of the reviews on the new charger, you won't find a single bad review. It is a completely different car then what it was last year. I have never been a dodge guy, but when I saw the comercial for it with the new rear end design i knew it was my next car.
I knew all of that. I was just stating that even in its last iteration it was a well-made car. I also love the rear end of the new car even though we all know they stole it from the Challenger to give the Charger more sales. It doesn't make it any less awesome though. FWIW, I never considered any Dodge product either till buying my truck (after driving Ford and Chevy too). I rented a Challenger v6 when they were new and liked it enough to recommend the R/T to several friends.

As for the "image" of the Dodge/Chrysler products, I don't care what someone else's perception of a brand is. I care about how the car drives, rides, and makes me feel while I drive it. The Charger (and all SRT8 products) pulls that off while being a good daily driver too. Just because the other guy has 22in spinners on his doesn't mean I have to.

Luxury brands are a good choice too. A used E55 is a great performance bargain but the maintenance can cost you. I'm not a BMW fan at all so you couldn't give me one :D My brother has a CL65 and Top Gear's show is is dead-on about how it is to drive (check YouTube for the episode) but I'm not in that price range.

Now I'm off to tinker on my project Lexus. Restoring a 20yr old SC400 is a never-ending task.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts