ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning on getting a new car within the next couple of weeks and there is a slight issue. My dad is helping with the financing on the vehicle until I graduate from college in the nest year and a half and he thinks that since he is paying some he gets to decide what I will drive and pay for after I graduate. He says that the Civic is an overall better car due to the resale value, reliability, etc... Personally this pisses me off because I know that an an engineering student the the WRX is better engineered and after looking at KBB the 2009 actually has a better resale value. What else should I use to back my case up so I can get the WRX like I want. Any help will be appreciated so I can be a part of the WRX family

·
Registered
943 Posts
He who pays for dinner gets to choose where to eat...

Your really comparing two different monsters here... Your civic is going to be much more economical then the rex... A wrx is meant to be a compromise between all out road sporting fun and daily driving. Your civic is on just the daily driving side. Also your cost of ownership will be less with the civic and so will your cost of fuel.

In no way am I trying to say a wrx is poor choice over a civic.. There are gives and takes with both. You lose your AWD if you go civic... you lose your 30+ mpg if you go wrx... you lose your turbo'd top mounted intercooler, air sucking hood scoop, drive places santas sleigh cant go, road gripping fun if you go civic...

Your dad is trying to put you into a more economical car that will be all around cheaper for you. as for reliability, thats really going to be determined by the owner... Subarus go 200+ k miles all day as long as they are maintained. But as soon as you start beating it and launching it daily and tearing it up things go down hill, as with any car...

·
Registered
681 Posts
So I am planning on getting a new car within the next couple of weeks and there is a slight issue. My dad is helping with the financing on the vehicle until I graduate from college in the nest year and a half and he thinks that since he is paying some he gets to decide what I will drive and pay for after I graduate. He says that the Civic is an overall better car due to the resale value, reliability, etc... Personally this pisses me off because I know that an an engineering student the the WRX is better engineered and after looking at KBB the 2009 actually has a better resale value. What else should I use to back my case up so I can get the WRX like I want. Any help will be appreciated so I can be a part of the WRX family
first off....dude...your dad is buying you a NEW CAR! How can you be too picky?

Anyway, where do you live? Do you need AWD? There is about an 8 mpg difference in city driving between the two, so factor that in. Resale value? The WRX will probably be better simply because it costs almost 10k more to start with. (and its a damn good car..)

I know why you want a WRX, but it's gonna be really hard to justify a 10k price difference. Have you thought about a certified pre-owned vehicle? (2008-ish) to avoid that first hit of depreciation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first off....dude...your dad is buying you a NEW CAR! How can you be too picky?
For the record he is only fronting the money so I will not have a massive loan to have while I have all my school loans. Second I live in Northern MN so AWD would be very helpful but I guess not necessary. MPG isn't really a big factor because in reality there isn't a big difference money in the long run.

He is talking about getting the fully loaded Civic too, which when it comes down to price is only around 3-4k difference. My thinking when he says that is why not spread a little more, get a car that will be more fun and I will enjoy driving everyday. Plus I wish he could understand the feeling of driving a WRX like we all have. Word's can't really describe the feeling

·
Registered
91 Posts
For the record he is only fronting the money so I will not have a massive loan to have while I have all my school loans. Second I live in Northern MN so AWD would be very helpful but I guess not necessary. MPG isn't really a big factor because in reality there isn't a big difference money in the long run.

He is talking about getting the fully loaded Civic too, which when it comes down to price is only around 3-4k difference. My thinking when he says that is why not spread a little more, get a car that will be more fun and I will enjoy driving everyday. Plus I wish he could understand the feeling of driving a WRX like we all have. Word's can't really describe the feeling
i had this same problem with my dad.

he was pushing for me to get the Honda SI fully loaded over the wrx.

i personally wish i would have gone with the civic because the cost of maintaining the vehicle is much cheaper

also i have had some clutch probs with my 09wrx but its up to you.
good luck hope you make the right decisiom

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,204 Posts
He says that the Civic is an overall better car due to the resale value, reliability, etc...
He's correct.

Personally this pisses me off because I know that an {SIC} an engineering student the the WRX is better engineered
As an engineering student you'll be familiar with statistics. Look at the reported reliability of the two models over the last two years before concluding (although I see you've already concluded despite the reliability info available)...

Any help will be appreciated so I can be a part of the WRX family
I've owned one for seven years. Sure there are great online communities and many people here also know one another offline, in real life -- but the forum is about a car. It's just that, no more, no less, a car.

Buy one that's affordable to run, cheap to insure, reliable, and with good fuel consumption. Since you're still in school see if you can save as much money on the purchase and ownership as possible -- generally, this means Civic, not WRX.

Here's a link to another thread, similar topic for more ideas:
http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/new-member-hangout/134322396-convincing-questions.html

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
So by "fronting" the money, does that mean you are going to pay him back the $$$$ that he puts into the purchase? If that is the case then I don't think he should have any say in what you get as he is technically not putting any money into the car.
When you say a full loaded, what trim of civic are you talking about, EX? Si? Either way, 2 completely different cars from each other as well as 2 completely different cars from a WRX.

As mentioned below, why an 2010? I'm sure you can find an unused 09 on the lot (pretty much identical to the 2010, but at a better price), plus with the WRX available in a hatch it'll make laundry and hauling your personal property around alot easier.

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
He's offering you something that's pretty nice; it can potentially save you thousands and it puts you in a brand new vehicle at a very young age. My advice would be either to accept what he has generously offered in good faith, or figure out financing on your own if you are determined to have a WRX while in college.

Can't help you with your argument. The Civic has always been a nicely engineered, efficient vehicle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Also...your gunna drive it like a ****....Think about it the civic is more fuel efficient, cheaper, etc... Why do you want a WRX? So you can tear it up dude. I wanted a crotch rocket, and I got a WRX instead? I had a thread kinda similar to this. Its like 5 pages long so kudos to yo if you wana read it
Buying a bike behind my moms back..... - ninjette.org

Man up, get the civic....Thank your dad

·
Banned
6,622 Posts
As a college student, I'd pic the Civic. As said, repair/maintenance costs on the WRX is higher. My WRX drove me broke throughout my college years for repairs. You're getting a free car from sound of it. As long as it's not a total crap box or a Kia/Hyundai (hah), I think you should be happy.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Subarus go 200+ k miles all day as long as they are maintained.
:whoa:

Where do you commute to for work?? 200k in a day??

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
As long as it's not a total crap box or a Kia/Hyundai (hah), I think you should be happy.
I guess it all depends on where you are on the ladder of standards. If I had been a 20-year-old from an affluent background, surrounded by people who were being given high-end new cars, I suppose my expectations would have been to be helped out with owning a sports sedan. As things were, most of my peer group in those days was delighted to figure out a way to own a total crap box. (I owned & improved more than one of those between the ages of 16 and 23)

·
Registered
743 Posts
Fact of the matter is - WRX is more costly to maintain then a Civic. If pops is helping you all he wants to ensure is that he/you are not shelling out more money then you need to to attain a reliable car for you to get to school and back - However someone earlier stated that if you are paying him back - you did say he was "fronting" the money, then it should be your decision period...

Best bet is to compare cars in the the WRX segment and see what deal can be had out there..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Buy a 06 or 07 WRX with low miles, save some money on his end. Then he might let you get the WRX.

My mom wanted me to drive a 4cyl altima before i got my i30, i showed her how im getting a car with a better engine, more option and better looks for the same prize the altima, except the i30 is 3 yrs older. She let me get the i30.

So kepp talking to him, and if your father already dont know, try not to tell him the subie is turbo charged. lol

·
Registered
878 Posts
Which civic would you end up getting... the SI version? Becasue if not then the regular Impreza would be a better car and about the same price new.. but if we're talking SI versus the WRX then from an enthusiast point of view the WRX would provide more thrill. Although I drove my sisters Acura RSX type S few times and its basically the same platform, and it was a fun little car. The honda has a better feeling brakes, more responsive steering, better interior and it handels like its on rails with a much stiffer suspension than the WRX. The only dissapointment is the FWD but only when pushed to the limits, for example... massive amounts of torque steer when comming out of a corner full throttle. Having said that there are other variables to consider here, would you be getting the manual or and EAT?, how long have you been driving? Can you prove that you are a responsible driver? You can get in trouble in either the Civic or the WRX but it will be quicker in the WRX. Remember with great power comes great responsibility! :) I love that Spiderman quote :) and it fully applies to driving a performance car.

I just realized the last comment was 2 months ago.....which car did the OP get?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Buy a 06 or 07 WRX with low miles, save some money on his end. Then he might let you get the WRX.

My mom wanted me to drive a 4cyl altima before i got my i30, i showed her how im getting a car with a better engine, more option and better looks for the same prize the altima, except the i30 is 3 yrs older. She let me get the i30.

So kepp talking to him, and if your father already dont know, try not to tell him the subie is turbo charged. lol
Another I30 owner:)

But yea go with the wrx, and they both have a warranty so don't worry about repair bills.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts