Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2010 Subaru Impreza WRX. I was driving it back out of the mountains on Thanksgiving headed back to Denver. After climbing Floyd Hill and going another miles or so, I looked down and noticed my engine temp was redlining. Car was still driving fine and wasn't making noise. I slowed down to pull off to the side, and as I did, steam started coming out of the engine. Pulled over, popped the hood, and coolant had spewed everywhere and was steaming (engine wasn't smoking). Coolant reservoir was empty. I let it cool down and got it another mile or so to a gas station to fill up on coolant. When I was finally headed out of the mountains, I stayed off the gas as much as possible. Engine temp still went up, but I was able to keep it from redlining. The next day, I took it around the neighborhood at low RPMs and after about 5 minutes of driving, engine temp went back up. So I parked it. I don't know if this is worth noting, but when I parked it and popped the hood, coolant in reserve tank was boiling. Today, I went to put it on ramps to see if the thermostat was working properly. Cranked it, while going up ramps, car died and will not crank now. The engine turns over forever but it never fires. I added a quart of oil (just a little low), and dipstick came out very watery.

From what I've researched online, I'm assuming that I have a blown head gasket which is leaking coolant into the oil and also maybe flooded my spark plugs which would explain it not firing?

I was planning on trading this car in for a new one this weekend. So the timing is very unfortunate. I'd like to not sink a lot of money into repairs, but I can't even get it to a dealership in it's current state. I don't know a lot about cars, but I have done a decent amount of somewhat difficult maintenance on my old cars (Thanks, YouTube!), so I'm open to doing the repairs myself if possible. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, just of note, I had no check engine or any other dashboard lights come on at any point.

·
Super Moderator
10,966 Posts
It's not the easiest task. There are people who will buy cars in that condition.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Definitely a blown head gasket. You can try something like this:

https://barsleaks.com/product/blown-head-gasket-repair/

ymmv, but if it does work even just long enough to get the car traded in that should be all you need right? If it doesnt work, like XJ said, there are buyers who don't mind a project car out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts