Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a wrx since i was a kid, owned a 2000 legacy gt for the last 7 years, but it finally got to the point where i didnt want to maintain it anymore. Sold it, and got myself a white 2010 wrx hatchback with 92k on it. A little on the high mileage side, but i think i can cope just fine, i am a honda technician and working on cars is my daily job, but i have always loved subaru. Just wondering from anyone more experienced of anything i should be looking out for, this car makes quite a few extra noises i am not used to. First off, ive never owned a manual transmission vehicle before, though i drive them often, and so far i am loving it. i do have a few questions though, so just let me know where i should post my questions since this is just the newbies forum.

1. 2nd gear whines a bit, from what ive read this might be completely normal, just curious. Also, if im driving slow through my neighborhood (15 mph limit) 2nd gear makes some strange growling if completely off the gas and clutch, also may be normal, just looking for some insight into what the cause of this is... heat shield rattle, gear lash, etc.
2. The audio unit is absolutely worse than my 2000 legacy, and on top of it just sucking, i went to put in a cd (i know, who uses cd's anymore?) and it clicks like crazy and im lucky to get a cd in or out of it, let alone have it play. This normally wouldn't be a problem because you could throw an aftermarket head unit, but i am that weird guy that likes things stock, or at least very close to stock, so i was wondering if there was another year or model that had a head unit that was basically plug and play that was better, i would also love an aux port, but either way i can wire that in myself. Bluetooth would also be a plus, so i might be looking into a half decent aftermarket unit that fits all the requirements (I want to keep a physical volume knob, not touch screen crap, and yeah i know i sound like an old man.)
3. Any DD upgrades you guys like? Apparently this car never had the TSB for the A pillar rattle done, cause i just fixed that myself, was driving me nuts. Theres also another rattle in the rear, towards the top of the hatch area, let me know if this i a normal area, its just hard to track down while driving the car. The console lid doesnt actually close all the way, and also i cant actually rest my arm on it. ive seen the subaru armrest extender and was wondering if it was worth it, and a short throw might be nice, just looking for opinions here.
4. got the car ona lift the other day, mainly checking for rust and leaks. It is leak free, which is awesome, but the cat back is getting pretty rusty, just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an exhaust that isn't ridiculously loud, but is a little better than stock.

Thats about it for my gripe, i love the car, its the nicest thing ive ever owned. It seeems mechanically sound, i know ill have to do the timing belt/water pump soon, but it doesnt look to much more difficult than the 2.5 sohc legacy that i just did, might just have to buy the cam lock tool. Is there anything else i should look out for, thank you guys for all your time if you actually read all this, i am super happy to finally be a part of the wrx team after so many years of wanting.

· Registered
163 Posts
Welcome to the Club! I also drive a 2010 wrx. With that many miles I would go through all the general maintnence parts. New tranny, diff fluid, plugs, Also I would check and make sure the 65k service was done. CHeck your fuel pump and make sure the filter/pump doesn't need changing. Also you're creeping up on the timing belt service 105k. I personally have 85k on my wrx, and will be as soon as my warranty runs out in the spring being going ahead and replacing the timing belt, water pump and all that myself, as I don't wanna wait longer to do it. Also if you haven't I would get a compression test done at the least just to ensure your motor is healthy. Otherwise if all the general stuff is up to date and your motor is healthy, maintain regular oil changes which im sure you will, being a Honda tech. And the car should last another 92k!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah since im a technician, i will probably do a compression test when i am doing the timing belt, and ill have to check all the fluids, especially diff and whatnot. i checked everything easy, oil, brake, power steering etc before i even bought it and it all looked great. Not sure if i should really have to change the manual transmission fluid, normally supposed to be a closed unit and not often changed as far as i know, but i only know honda stuff to be honest. I got it up on the rack and looked for leaks and rust and other than a rusty catback i am very happy with my purchase. Definitely the nicest, most fun car ive owned, loving it so far!

· Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
30,453 Posts
Not sure if i should really have to change the manual transmission fluid, normally supposed to be a closed unit and not often changed as far as i know, but i only know honda stuff to be honest.
Sorry but this statement is, well, alarming coming from a technician. If the car doesn't have the owner's manual, buy/borrow/steal one yesterday. That should be the first order of business. Then bring the car up to date, by the book, to the letter. Prefer authentic parts. Congrats on the car. I like those models, probably the most among the cars built this decade. Great cars.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just meant that they have no real replacement schedule, so if i am having no issues and the fluid looks okay(im yet to check it) there is no real reason to change it. I just hear people putting some "cocktail" in their trans, ill will most definitely be putting subaru authentic fluids for that.

· Not a mod... or is he? Or, is he not?
15,759 Posts
Looking at the gear oil won't tell you a lot besides an excess of contamination. Oil can break down and no visual check will tell you anything.

It's like people who freak out their engine oil gets dark quickly. It's supposed to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

· Registered
724 Posts
I believe the gear oil change interval on these cars is 30k miles. That being said, probably good to change trans and diff fluid. Also get used to rattling lol. Welcome to the club, hope you have fun with the car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.