ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010 STI custom 1.25" hitch

I'm getting a custom 1.25" hitch made that'll sandwich between the frame and the rear bumper mounts. Will sit behind the muffler and inside the cavity behind the bumper, with the hitch receiver coming through the middle of the bottom of the air splitter.

The hitch will be used for a tray-style bike rack to tuck some downhill bikes behind the car and off the roof reducing drag.

Does anybody have leads to a bumper disassembly/removal guide, preferably factory details?

Pictures to come.

I can post the final material dimensions if anyone is interested in doing this too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Okay, this is a followup. The hitch has been made and finished and it couldn't have worked out better. Pictures are below:

Final info:
material weight 27lbs
expected towing capacity 1000lbs

You can see from the pictures there is nothing showing the 1.25" receiver is mounted behind the rear air diffuser with a hole cut in the diffuser for the rack. I'm using the 2010 Thule T2 rack and took the big bikes out this weekend; ripped around the mountain and had no problems with the rack.

You can see what it looks like with the bikes tilted back for hatch access (actually I dont have a picture with it holding the bikes normally), and with the rack folded up w/ no bikes. Very solid rack, no problems with 2 50lb bikes.

Best shuttle car ever.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Initially the design was to put two plates sandwiched between the ends of the frame rails and the bumper in case something had to be removed, but to add extra strength they welded the extra plates to the bumper. Not the end of the world, it wont come off now but it should never have to.

EDIT:
oh and between the plates there is a 2x2" square pipe that the exposed triangle is welded to

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
any plans to make kits? .. I'd be very interested in such a rig. I don't like the Idea of putting my bike on the roof.. and if its a wet ride I really don't like the Idea of putting it inside the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is exactly my plan, thus the post on here :)

and yea I was a bit wary to put my rigs on the roof too, and it couldn't have worked better having them on the back.

I have the 2010 STI SE, I'm not sure if there are frame differences with the SE, but we should probably find out.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
cool, I've just got a standard 2010 wrx.. I believe the body shells are the same ..but.. dunno. If you need pics or measurements let me know and I'll try and get them for ya.

How hard was it to get the rear bumper off? I know the front comes off easy, haven't had the rear off yet though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sti hitch

I'm getting a custom 1.25" hitch made that'll sandwich between the frame and the rear bumper mounts. Will sit behind the muffler and inside the cavity behind the bumper, with the hitch receiver coming through the middle of the bottom of the air splitter.

The hitch will be used for a tray-style bike rack to tuck some downhill bikes behind the car and off the roof reducing drag.

Does anybody have leads to a bumper disassembly/removal guide, preferably factory details?

Pictures to come.

I can post the final material dimensions if anyone is interested in doing this too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you ever made a kit, I'm VERY interested.

If not, I'd like to compliment you. It's the best looking hitch i've seen.

Ross

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Yeah any word on if the fabricator will make any in "kit" form? .. I really like this Idea and have no fear of cutting the bumper cover ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts