ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 STI and by some miracle of god I treated it well enough to make it to 220,000 without a short block rebuild. However the car burns about a quart of oil ever 2000 miles. How much would a short block rebuild be, and what could the problem potentially be?

Finally, if the engine blows, how much is a blown 2010 STi worth?

·
11,219 Posts
Subaru says a quart per thousand miles is "normal" mine didn't burn any at 100k. I would suggest checking around under there for any signs of oil leakage. Pull the intercooler and check for oil there, that could indicate a problem elsewhere.

Shortblocks from Subaru cost 2k. All in with all the odds and ends you'll need and want a full swap done at a shop will cost upwards of 8k. It's going to be way more reliable than any rebuilt engine and doesn't cost all that much more.

If the engine blows someone will buy it for more than it's worth. That's all i know

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Subaru says a quart per thousand miles is "normal" mine didn't burn any at 100k. I would suggest checking around under there for any signs of oil leakage. Pull the intercooler and check for oil there, that could indicate a problem elsewhere.

Shortblocks from Subaru cost 2k. All in with all the odds and ends you'll need and want a full swap done at a shop will cost upwards of 8k. It's going to be way more reliable than any rebuilt engine and doesn't cost all that much more.

If the engine blows someone will buy it for more than it's worth. That's all i know
Appreciate it!

Do you think I would make sense to go ahead and just replace the pistons gaskets and other things, before the engine blows?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. Piston gasket? Do you mean rings?
I mean rings yeah. Possibly a head gasket. But really, would it make sense to replace everything before I inevitably blow it up.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,204 Posts
I have a 2010 STI and by some miracle of god I treated it well enough to make it to 220,000 without a short block rebuild. However the car burns about a quart of oil ever 2000 miles. How much would a short block rebuild be, and what could the problem potentially be?

Finally, if the engine blows, how much is a blown 2010 STi worth?
Your oil consumption is normal.

You cannot fox a car that works.

·
11,219 Posts
I mean rings yeah. Possibly a head gasket. But really, would it make sense to replace everything before I inevitably blow it up.
It would be a bad idea to disassemble a functional engine to replace parts that haven't failed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts