ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 WRX premium. It came with the grill with the chrome bar through the middle of it. I'm assuming this is the premium grill because I haven't seen any other ones on the road with it. I actually don't like the look of it and want to swap it out with a nice clean bare grill or something like the ones I seen on the 09's. Could someone direct me to a site that has them? Thanks.

Stock photo

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the 09 grills fit the 2010?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
08-10 grills are all the same in how they fit. There were however different styles available from spt. There was the one the op has (which may likely have been dealer installed at request) and then there were the open mesh ones. The factory grill for 09-10 looks like this

I later painted mine, removed the wrx and tinted the subaru symbol. It now looks like this

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool thanks guys.
Your grill looks pretty sick mango. Might have to cop that lol.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Go for it man.. I figured $225 for a grill or $12 in paint... hmm.... paint won :D

though the bugs and local stone laden roads have beat it up a bit.. its holding up well so far. Incase you were curious I used taillight tint for the subaru badges. Before hand it seemed to stand out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah, that's what I did. I had the 08 too, so chopped the ugly honeycomb grille part off. I like the look but I can't stand the paint chipping. Definitely expect that. I've tried everything (even sanding the damn thing all the way down, but the plastic isn't abrasive enough to hold the paint. Expect rocks to chip it. This is why i'd buy yours, haha. :D Regardless, my results can be seen in the post below. I like ClubWRX but raise your photo file limit!

DIY Grille makeover for 2008 Rex

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
08-11 is the same grille opening I believe, atleast the SPT catalog has lead me to believe this since I want the same grille I currently have on my 08 for my 11 which is an accessory.

IMG_3636.JPG

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea if the chipping is going to be that bad there's no way I'm gonna paint it. I actually like just the plain debadged grills anyway. Had one on my 04. Maybe I'll try to find an aftermarket one somewhere. If I get one I would be interested in selling my current grill but I think it's worth more than 100 bucks but I could be wrong.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
use a good adhesion promoter for plastics and it wont be that bad. Well.. not any worse than the rest of the oem paint anyway. I've got some chips in mine but they're barely noticeable until right up close.

Anything chrome is going to be a royal ***** to paint.. fyi.. sand all the shiny off and use the right materials and the job will look good. Key to painting anything is prep. Good prep=good paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts