ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just installed my TurboXS cat back exhaust on my 09 WRX. I have a few problems. The exhaust is hitting the heat shield above the cat and also it is hitting my rare suspension. Can I remove the heat shield completely or is that not safe? Are there any alternatives like aftermarket shield with more clearance(if so please link) or just taking a hammer to it and bending it a little? And for the rare suspension I'm assuming that can be fixed by buying some longer hangers?

Thanks for the help!

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,730 Posts
you might be able to loosen all the nuts on the exhaust and with help of a friend, kida re-adjust everything so it doesnt hit and the tighten everything back up. I know the perrin on my 09 sedan was sticking out farther on one side than the other, so i just loosened, twisted and tightened and everything lined up.

I would suggest against removing the heat shield although I dont see any issues with "re-arranging" it a bit.

I assume its hitting above the exhaust...I think longer hangers should work...You can get some nice stiff ones fom Rallysportdirect.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you might be able to loosen all the nuts on the exhaust and with help of a friend, kida re-adjust everything so it doesnt hit and the tighten everything back up. I know the perrin on my 09 sedan was sticking out farther on one side than the other, so i just loosened, twisted and tightened and everything lined up.

I would suggest against removing the heat shield although I dont see any issues with "re-arranging" it a bit.

I assume its hitting above the exhaust...I think longer hangers should work...You can get some nice stiff ones fom Rallysportdirect.com
I'm looking on rallysport for some longer hangers and it looks like they only have 12mm for 09 WRX Sedan, and I believe that is the same as the stock ones so it wouldn't help. Any suggestions?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
I think you would be okay removing the heatshield.. or you could just do like I did when my muffler was bumping it and get under there with a hammer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you would be okay removing the heatshield.. or you could just do like I did when my muffler was bumping it and get under there with a hammer.
I think I'm going to try banging it around for a little before deciding on removing it. Did you just leave it on and bang it out around the exhaust pipe or did you take the exhaust off and do it?

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
First I just stuck a crow bar in there and pried on it till it quit touching.. but after about four months it started hitting again, so I removed the muffler and hit it with a mallet until there was no way it would make contact again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First I just stuck a crow bar in there and pried on it till it quit touching.. but after about four months it started hitting again, so I removed the muffler and hit it with a mallet until there was no way it would make contact again.
Okay, thanks for the tips. Do you if I get longer hangers it'll fix the problem of hitting the suspension? Although I don't hear much rattle from that, just the heat shield really

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Okay, thanks for the tips. Do you if I get longer hangers it'll fix the problem of hitting the suspension? Although I don't hear much rattle from that, just the heat shield really
Longer hangers might solve both problems, being that you gain 20 to 25mm of clearance (55mm kartboys - 35mm stockers). As siad, none of us can SEE how much clearance you need. If you want to know before you order, unhook the exhaust from the hangers, let it hang enough to clear the obstructions, and measure. If you need less than 55mm to stop the rubbing, get 4 of the 55 (or 60mm) hangers and put them on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Longer hangers might solve both problems, being that you gain 20 to 25mm of clearance (55mm kartboys - 35mm stockers). As siad, none of us can SEE how much clearance you need. If you want to know before you order, unhook the exhaust from the hangers, let it hang enough to clear the obstructions, and measure. If you need less than 55mm to stop the rubbing, get 4 of the 55 (or 60mm) hangers and put them on.
Yeah I understand, Well on the left side of the car the pipe has clearance, then on the right side I can't even fit my fingers between the pipe and the suspension. It will be a few days before I can get my car on the lift again but I will try and get some pictures so you guys have a better idea of what I am talking about. What is the stock size on the hangers on a 09 WRX Sedan? I can't find this information anywhere, though I believe they are 12mm? Correct me if I'm wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts