ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm very confused with all this aftermarket gear talk. I want my tranny be be stronger for the lowest price possible. Now for straight cut gears, would I need an entirely new tranny? Also what is a dogbox? Hell any info on this subject would be great. Thanks guys!

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I want my tranny be be stronger for the lowest price possible.

define "low" ... gearsets and having a trans rebuilt are NOT cheap in any manor, shape or form. Do-able? Sure! Cheap? Not in the slightest. You're looking at between $2500-$3k for gears/trans rebuild. That's just for a set of hardend gears/forks for your factory issue 5MT.

What do you want from the car is the question you need to ask yourself. What sort of power are you looking at making? What sort of driving will you be doing? Will you be doing any racing? On or Off pavement? .. Once you know the type of punishment the car needs to survive you'll better be able to make a decision regarding what improvements it needs. Also remember, for every failure point you improve, you move the failure point to the next component down the line.

All factors that need to be considered if you want to spend money wisely on this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, some off road, some on road. Relatively enthusiastic driving. Also getting my track license. As for power, I'll be increasing it slowly mod by mod but not all at once.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Set aside a transmission fund, but keep your current one until it lets go.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
gearsets and having a trans rebuilt are NOT cheap in any manor, shape or form.
This right here.

Shawn poses many other good questions as well that will better help us help you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts