Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, proud owner of 09 a WRX, three quick exhaust questions:

1. I know people talk about intakes causing the engines to run lean, as a result of the MAF sensor. Do exhausts cause lean conditions? Asking in regards to an untuned car, with no other mods.

2. Seems as if no real power increases from exhaust alone on the 09/10 models (again useful with more mods I know), has there been any dyno tests or comparisons?

3. Seems many (again I know an improved exhaust may help with a more modded/tuned car) buy exhaust for the improvement in sound, one reason I was looking at exhausts (after having a 350Z, and C5 Vette, the subbie is lacking). But if just sound wouldn't just a new muffler do the trick? if so do you know any mufflers, not complete catback exhaust for sale? I like the way the Borla exhaust sounds, but don't see just a muffler. The no muffler option is interesting but probably way to loud....

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi guys, proud owner of 09 a WRX, three quick exhaust questions:

1. I know people talk about intakes causing the engines to run lean, as a result of the MAF sensor. Do exhausts cause lean conditions? Asking in regards to an untuned car, with no other mods.

No, exhaust systems do NOT cause lean conditions, just lets more air out and changes the exhaust note.

2. Seems as if no real power increases from exhaust alone on the 09/10 models (again useful with more mods I know), has there been any dyno tests or comparisons?

Exhaust systems will NOT net you REAL power; that goes for any year WRX. At best maybe 1 -3hp.

3. Seems many (again I know an improved exhaust may help with a more modded/tuned car) buy exhaust for the improvement in sound, one reason I was looking at exhausts (after having a 350Z, and C5 Vette, the subbie is lacking). But if just sound wouldn't just a new muffler do the trick? if so do you know any mufflers, not complete catback exhaust for sale? I like the way the Borla exhaust sounds, but don't see just a muffler. The no muffler option is interesting but probably way to loud....

I'd go with a catback but I think just the mufflers will change the note, a bit raspy IMHO

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
449 Posts
^ cat backs wont cause any problems. If you do a turbo back that could cause leaning out and over boosting... You do not need a tune with a cat back but a turbo back you do. Figured we should be more specific since the OP didn't clarify what kind of exhaust he wanted.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Exhausts

I would look into catback exhausts or just a replacement muffler if I could find the right sound - since sound at least on an otherwise stock car would be the main goal.

I saw the muffler delete option from Borla, link below. I like the sound of Rex with no exhaust on Youtube, but assuming one this would not be legal (NY state is pretty tough), and may cause problems due to lack of back-pressure?
Borla 2008-2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback & Sedan Catback Exhaust, JSC Speed 08 WRX Exhaust

Learning as I go here guys, and hope in the future to do more....Your guidance is appreciated.

·
Registered
449 Posts
What you should do is hop on youtube... Search for some folks who have cat backs on the wrx... Listen and try to pick one out... The best way though is to find local folks at shows and meets etc etc and listen in person to the exhaust. But youtube is a good start.

·
Super Moderator
24,466 Posts
Hearing them in person is by far best. There are so many variables in a given recording ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New York City or Middletown NY

Anyone from either location, or know of any meets? I know wrong section of the forum....Any thoughts on the muffler delete option, link in my earlier post?

·
Banned
2,054 Posts
Yes, exhaust can cause lean conditions, but by a very different means. If you get a downpipe, you must be tuned for it to correct this.

And please for the love of Pete don't run mufflerless or straightpipe like a ricer would. Get a full turboback exhaust, which will get you power with that tune (a catback is nothing but a noise maker without an open downpipe in front of it). You won't regret it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts