ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car search is down to two cars. The 2008 Impreza WRX Sedan and the 2008 Civic Si Sedan. Don't worry guy's I'm leaning towards the WRX :p

This is my first car buying experience and thankfully my dad is helping me because he is much better at getting the price down then me.

Tonight I have a appointment at Subaru with the salesperson I was dealing with when I took the car for a test drive and the general manager to talk about price.

I have a set price that I want that is fair for both me and the dealer that I want them to meet. If they aren't willing to meet my price or at least come close to it I'm ready to tell them "so you're telling me I should buy the Civic Si?" and walk out.

What kind of km's (or miles) are okay to be on a car your buying new?

Anyone have any additional things I should know?

If all goes well I hope to be a true member of ClubWRX soon. :p

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Well welcome kinda.

Also noteworthy, don't let the dealer dictate which car you buy. Choose one and then shop around for the best price on THAT car. There are more than 1 Subi Dealer and Honda dealer.

There is a limit on how many miles they can technically sell it as "new", couple hundred I think. Personally I won't buy a "new" car with any more than 50 miles on it. Thats my personal "feel good" number. After that I consider it a "used" car.

As for your car choices. Having owned both FWD and AWD, I can say AWD is waaaay more fun. Having owned NA and FI I can say without a doubt get the FI car (turbo-WRX).

They are both good cars, youll get more bang for your buck power adders out of the subaru.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the semi-welcome and tips. Unfortunately there is only one Subaru dealer in my City. I live in Canada and the Subaru dealers are VERY spread out here. Them being the only dealer will make it harder to deal with price. So instead of walking out to look at a WRX somewhere else I'll be walking out to look at a Civic Si. Thankfully there is many Honda dealerships around.

But lets look at the facts. I live in Canada, right now our dollar has risen to above that of the US dollar yet are car prices have stayed higher meaning they are making more money on a car sold in Canada then in the US, car sales are at an low in Canada right now, it's the end of the month and they probably need the numbers. Unless they want to make me a good deal I'll be buying Civic Si. I'd rather buy the WRX but what it comes down to now is the deal.

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
Thanks for the semi-welcome and tips. Unfortunately there is only one Subaru dealer in my City. I live in Canada and the Subaru dealers are VERY spread out here. Them being the only dealer will make it harder to deal with price. So instead of walking out to look at a WRX somewhere else I'll be walking out to look at a Civic Si. Thankfully there is many Honda dealerships around.

But lets look at the facts. I live in Canada, right now our dollar has risen to above that of the US dollar yet are car prices have stayed higher meaning they are making more money on a car sold in Canada then in the US, car sales are at an low in Canada right now, it's the end of the month and they probably need the numbers. Unless they want to make me a good deal I'll be buying Civic Si. I'd rather buy the WRX but what it comes down to now is the deal.
Can you buy a WRX in a border town and bring it back into CANADA?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This doesn't have anything to do with where to buy a wrx but it does have something to do with the Civic.

I just traded in an 07 SI Sedan for my WRX and let me say that I was not disapointed. The wrx drives and rides so much better than the si, has more space in the driver compartment and is just a better feeling and looking car in my opinion. Plus the speed factor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Can you buy a WRX in a border town and bring it back into CANADA?
You can but you must take it back to the States to get anything repaired under Warranty. OR I must take it to the Subaru dealership here, pay in FULL for any repairs, then I mail the bill to Subaru of America and they would refund me. That doesn't sound like a fun experience to me :|

This doesn't have anything to do with where to buy a wrx but it does have something to do with the Civic.

I just traded in an 07 SI Sedan for my WRX and let me say that I was not disapointed. The wrx drives and rides so much better than the si, has more space in the driver compartment and is just a better feeling and looking car in my opinion. Plus the speed factor.
Thanks for the input. That helps. Did you get the 07 WRX or the 08 WRX?

·
SuperNova
11,904 Posts
You can but you must take it back to the States to get anything repaired under Warranty. OR I must take it to the Subaru dealership here, pay in FULL for any repairs, then I mail the bill to Subaru of America and they would refund me. That doesn't sound like a fun experience to me :|
Well given that your $$$ is stronger than ours, and you potentially will save $5000, I'd put up with the hassle. Especially if you are only an hour from a USA dealership. Honestly, how many things are gonna go wrong and need to be warrantied?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well given that your $$$ is stronger than ours, and you potentially will save $5000, I'd put up with the hassle. Especially if you are only an hour from a USA dealership. Honestly, how many things are gonna go wrong and need to be warrantied?
More like two and a half hour drive each way. I'll still consider it as an option but first I got to see what the Subaru dealership here is willing to do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The other problem if you go to a canadian dealer ship and request the refund from SOA is that they gonna give you back the amoun of the reparation in the U.S which is most likely to be cheaper than what the canadian dealer will charge you, so you gonna loose money this way

·
Registered
85 Posts
My car search is down to two cars. The 2008 Impreza WRX Sedan and the 2008 Civic Si Sedan. Don't worry guy's I'm leaning towards the WRX :p

This is my first car buying experience and thankfully my dad is helping me because he is much better at getting the price down then me.

Tonight I have a appointment at Subaru with the salesperson I was dealing with when I took the car for a test drive and the general manager to talk about price.

I have a set price that I want that is fair for both me and the dealer that I want them to meet. If they aren't willing to meet my price or at least come close to it I'm ready to tell them "so you're telling me I should buy the Civic Si?" and walk out.

What kind of km's (or miles) are okay to be on a car your buying new?

Anyone have any additional things I should know?

If all goes well I hope to be a true member of ClubWRX soon. :p

I have a 05 WRX...I looove my car is so fun to drive and for the snow season its the best. :). however, even though I love it I'm trying to sell it. The reason for this it's that you need to have a good job to pay for it. We all know how creepy the gas mileage is for a suby and the insurance how high they are for a turbo car. I spend so much money in gas that it makes me regret getting the car sometimes.
I'm going to college and I need all that money i spend in gas and insurance plus every other toy you want to put in the suby, which are not exactly cheap. I think for me the best 1st car to have its a civic...they are good with gas, cheap insurance and the aftermarket upgrades are more accessible.

If you have the money then go with the WRX you'll be happy but if you don't then the SI will be the best choice...and btw never forget you can always turbocharged an SI.

my 2 cents

PD. after graduating from college I'm getting and STI :p

my 2 cents

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well you guys can now consider me a official member of ClubWRX as I just made my purchase!

I'll be picking up my 2008 WRX on Thursday.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the club.

...The reason for this it's that you need to have a good job to pay for it. ...... I'm going to college and I need all that money i spend in gas and insurance plus every other toy you want to put in the suby, which are not exactly cheap.
I think this goes for every car on the planet. If you can't afford it then don't get it. It's the main reason why we're not all driving Porsche 911 turbos and Ferraris - because we can't afford them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the club.

I think this goes for every car on the planet. If you can't afford it then don't get it. It's the main reason why we're not all driving Porsche 911 turbos and Ferraris - because we can't afford them.

yes I know what you mean but at my age 21 years old, a lot of people don't think about these things....When I got the car I had no idea how creepy the gas mileage was or how high the insurances were...sometimes one just wanna have a nice car but there are more important things then that....:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had an 03 WRX, and my current car is an 07 Civic SI Sedan. We've also had an 04 WRX, 05 STI, and now an 07 STI in the family.

I haven't driven the new WRX, but I've sat in it.

I prefer the SI interior, and I think the SI is a better performer (except in situations that benefit from AWD)

The SI corners razor sharp, around .91-.93 G with ultra high performance tires. Also, if you dislike turbo lag, it obviously doesn't have any.

Its a total blast to drive, is insanely reliable, and the stereo and seats completely kick ass.

That being said, the Civic has ZERO torque, and is slower than dirt under 5800 rpm. With a few mods, reving it is godly, and it definitely feels more like a track car than the WRX's (again haven't driven a new one).

Overall, they are both great cars. The subaru has a more expensive power plant and AWD, and if the new ones are anything like the old, it will have WAYYYY more mod potential than the SI. Turbo's kick ass.

They are pretty neck in neck IMO, just very different.

If it makes any difference, were the new WRX's available with a sunroof, I'd consider one because I am sick of the lack of torque, and my CAI is extremely loud, and attention getting.

FYI the Civic SI is thousands cheaper than the WRX, so based off that from a money perspective, its definitely a better value (cheaper gas, insurance, and costs about 4-6k bucks less.

I saw a new STI hatch show car sitting in a dealer. I sat in it.

Will be my next car as soon as I can get one for under invoice, and they add a sunroof.

-MM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts