ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so have any of u that have a 2008 WRX done any bolt on mods for power like i was reading about Vf 34 turbos and stuff but im wondering if any1 has done anything like that yet?

( by the way an STI spiler with instal from subaru dealer is gona run around 508 mula )

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
so have any of u that have a 2008 WRX done any bolt on mods for power like i was reading about Vf 34 turbos and stuff but im wondering if any1 has done anything like that yet?

( by the way an STI spiler with instal from subaru dealer is gona run around 508 mula )
just stick with suspension mods till the warranty is up.
also, a VF34 is too small for the 2.5L. think 18G or bigger

·
Registered
42 Posts

One word: RALLITEK

They have a complete package for the 08' WRX's including:

1) Turbo (AVO380); DIRECT bolt on to the 08's
2) Intercooler; DIRECT Bolt on
3) AP Flash for the upgraded package
4) AP tool itself
5) Intake
6) Downpipe
7) Blowoff Valve

This package by Rallitek dyno's around 325WHP and holds on VERY strong all the way to redline. The over all cost (depending an how many of the upgrades you purchase) is around ~$3500-$3600.

I myself will be ordering the turbo/TMIC/BOV/AP either this or next week. And of course with the upgraded power/torque a new wheel & tire setup will be needed as well since Subie put on crappy 205's that are useless almost even with a stock set up.

Also lookup "dirtyimpreza.com" for Rallitek's complete write up.

There is also a write up from, I believe, Dynoflash that was posted on the NASIOC with a 08' WRX with a bolt on Legacy turbo (& water injection)... It was impressive but I think the AVO turbo option is much better.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
FYI any turbo that fits on the 02-07WRX's/04-08STi's is not a direct bolt on for the 08WRX,you would need a FMIC.The Legacy turbos are.Has to do with the intercooler

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
FYI any turbo that fits on the 02-07WRX's/04-08STi's is not a direct bolt on for the 08WRX,you would need a FMIC.The Legacy turbos are.Has to do with the intercooler

You do not NEED a FMIC to do a turbo upgrade on the 2008 models (or legacy models). Rallitek has a number of kits with upgraded TMIC and bigger turbos.

FMIC is really only preference for bigger numbers and for some of the really large turbos.

one example is that you can run an AVO 380 turbo with a TMIC

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
from rallitek:

Power is upgraded to a 'Stage3' for 2008 WRX and Legacy GT/XT

Approx 340whp/325lb ft torque, on 91+ pump gas* featuring parts from RalliTEK and AVO including: High Flow Intake, 380 Turbo, AVO TMIC, DP w/HF Cat, Catback Exhaust, 245lph fuel Pump, 660cc fuel injectors .
Available in many configurations for: 2008 WRX, 2005+ Legacy GT / Outback XT

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
from rallitek:

Power is upgraded to a 'Stage3' for 2008 WRX and Legacy GT/XT

Approx 340whp/325lb ft torque, on 91+ pump gas* featuring parts from RalliTEK and AVO including: High Flow Intake, 380 Turbo, AVO TMIC, DP w/HF Cat, Catback Exhaust, 245lph fuel Pump, 660cc fuel injectors .
Available in many configurations for: 2008 WRX, 2005+ Legacy GT / Outback XT
i wish i had a kit that came with an EJ257, PPGs, FP RED, Cosworth cams, 860cc injectors, smc meth injection, etc...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Any turbocharger and intercooler that is a bolt on for the Legacy is ALSO a direct bolt on for the 2008 WRX's. The 2008 WRX's use (essentially) the Legacy 2.5L turbo 4 cylinder... Thats why AVO's and the Deadbolts are bolt on turbos.

Personally, I'd stick with a TMIC to avoid the lag from FMIC's and their rotated turbo setups (less costly as well!!). And 'Yes' there are meth kits for the 08's as well. Just go to Rallitek.

I can't believe that people still think there are no mods yet for the 08 WRX's. There is everything out there for the engine and tranny! Subie did us a favor by sticking the Legacy engine in the WRX.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
You do not NEED a FMIC to do a turbo upgrade on the 2008 models (or legacy models). Rallitek has a number of kits with upgraded TMIC and bigger turbos.

FMIC is really only preference for bigger numbers and for some of the really large turbos.

one example is that you can run an AVO 380 turbo with a TMIC
You 100% misread what i said.The OP is talking about using a VF34.You cannot run a turbo from a 02-07wrx or 04+ STi unless you use a FMIC.Correct?I also mention that he could share modifications with the Legacy's.Pretty sure i know what I am talking about.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
so this means if i went with a FMIC, I can use turbos from 02-07 WRX/STi?

You 100% misread what i said.The OP is talking about using a VF34.You cannot run a turbo from a 02-07wrx or 04+ STi unless you use a FMIC.Correct?I also mention that he could share modifications with the Legacy's.Pretty sure i know what I am talking about.....

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
so this means if i went with a FMIC, I can use turbos from 02-07 WRX/STi?
Sti VF39 turbo does not require a front mount IC. In fact, it is probably too small to really have any sort of benfit from the front mount. Probably an 18g or bigger would be the best way for a front mount for a real benefit.

the VF39 (STI turbo), VF34 and 16g turbo are probably best with just bigger top mounts. Even some running the 18g are just using big top mounts, but the 18g is probably where most start into FMIC

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Sti VF39 turbo does not require a front mount IC. In fact, it is probably too small to really have any sort of benfit from the front mount. Probably an 18g or bigger would be the best way for a front mount for a real benefit.

the VF39 (STI turbo), VF34 and 16g turbo are probably best with just bigger top mounts. Even some running the 18g are just using big top mounts, but the 18g is probably where most start into FMIC
If that were the case then why do they even need to make upgraded turbos and TMIC for the 08WRX's and Legacy GT's when you can just grab/use a TMIC and turbo from the 02-07 wrx's or 04+ STi's.If he wants to use those turbos what TMIC is he going to use on an 08?The TMIC's designed for an 08 will not work with those turbos....

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
If that were the case then why do they even need to make upgraded turbos and TMIC for the 08WRX's and Legacy GT's when you can just grab/use a TMIC and turbo from the 02-07 wrx's or 04+ STi's.If he wants to use those turbos what TMIC is he going to use on an 08?The TMIC's designed for an 08 will not work with those turbos....

I did not say you can use the stock TMIC from the WRX. You can use the STI TMIC because it is bigger, especially if you are using the STI's VF39.

Perrin already offers an upgraded TMIC for the 08's and there is at least one tuning shop that is already using it with an upgraded turbo.

The 2008 STI does not use a Front mount and its turbo is larger than the 08 WRX's. The new 2008 STI TMIC is bigger than the prev. STI intercoolers.

on the topic of why bother upgrading turbos, a VF39 will not make as much power as an 18g. Different turbos have different characteristics, different spools, etc. One that makes 600 hp would probably not be one that you use for autoX. at the same time, you dont want a 16g turbo if you want a monster hp drag car. the turbo you upgrade to SHOULD be relative to what you want to do with the vehicle.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Okay, I know this thread is pretty much dead, but I just put on a Perrin Catted DP ($379 fredbeansparts.com) and a Magnaflow CBE ($422 performancepeddler.com) also have the AP from COBB ($625 during the holidays) and did the intake mod (free, look it up) and my WRX is a completely different vehicle. The power comes on way earlier, throttle response is still not perfect, but is much much better, and it pulls in 4th like it used to pull in 3rd. Also no need to downshift on the highway to pass. My favorite mod is the AP so far because it enhances every other mod you make.
I am planning on grabbing the turbo from the 2009 WRX ($1012) and possibly a custom map from Perrin, my goal is to be in the low-mid 300 hp and tq range. Then I will start on other mods like brakes...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts