Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a near-new 2008 WRX 5 door. I love it, but the heater when needed on Auto-65 degrees blows air that is way to hot. On the cool side (when its warmer out like summer) its fine but in the Winter months here in California it blows too much hot air.
The sensing unit or the heater mechanism just runs to hot, for California anyway. Maybe in Alaska this car would be fine.

Any thoughts on this or let me know if you see the same problem, MY Subaru Dealer says he never has this problem, but Consumer Reports reported this same problem in their review of the vehicle, that they had to override the system to pure outside fan many times.

I'll let you know how it resolves.
Frank

·
Registered
871 Posts
Weve gotten a few of these complaints...according to our master tech this is how the system is supposed to work...when you set in on the AUTO setting and select the temp..the vehicles heater system is doing everything it can to bring the inside air up to that temperature...thats how the EATC system operates....Thats really all we tell the customer...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hot is fine but it should regulate

That's fine that its working to heat the car, the problem is the temp regulator is set to 65 so the system is supposed to be regulating the temperature to that level, a relatively cool level. Instead the system is going way beyond 65 to like 75. Go drive an Acura or any car that does this correctly. Here Subaru screwed up and not just a little, by a lot in terms of calibration.

It's a problem Subaru needs to fix, a an overactive heater that is not adjusting to the "temp controlled numbers" that the gauges and manual advertise is a serious comfort problem for all passengers, and one the manufacturer better pay attention to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Consumer Reports slams the 08 WRX for Cabin and Controls

Turning off auto doesn't work well either. It's bogus to mess with a system that should just work, and impedes on safety too. What a screw up by Subaru Engineering.

Here's what Consumer Reports says about... COPIED AND PASTED
INSIDE THE CABIN

The interior has decent fit and finish, with grained dashboard plastics, well-finished edges, and tight gaps. But hard plastics, basic seat fabric, and a cheap-looking headliner are demerits.

Most drivers will find plenty of space, but taller drivers might want more leg room. The view out is very good. The front seats are comfortable and provide decent lateral support. The rear has enough space for two adults, but the seats are fairly low, without much thigh support.

Overall, the controls are simple and displays are easy to read. But the poorly calibrated automatic climate-control system drew many complaints. Under some conditions, the system blew very hot air unless the driver selected the full cold setting. We often found ourselves manually overriding it.

@EvoEatr - if you work at a Subaru Shop, don't let the Mfr. off the hook for poor Engineering. Fill out Quality Monitoring reports at Subaru Corp. And tell them yourself this system is poorly designed and recalibration is necessary with an updated part. This is not up to normal Subaru standards, and THEY need to hear it in 80 voice stereo from around the country. It's only the heating side, so only colder climes will see this bug. As with all such incidents it takes QUANTITY to get ACTION.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Turning off auto doesn't work well either. It's bogus to mess with a system that should just work, and impedes on safety too. What a screw up by Subaru Engineering.

Here's what Consumer Reports says about... COPIED AND PASTED
INSIDE THE CABIN

The interior has decent fit and finish, with grained dashboard plastics, well-finished edges, and tight gaps. But hard plastics, basic seat fabric, and a cheap-looking headliner are demerits.

Most drivers will find plenty of space, but taller drivers might want more leg room. The view out is very good. The front seats are comfortable and provide decent lateral support. The rear has enough space for two adults, but the seats are fairly low, without much thigh support.

Overall, the controls are simple and displays are easy to read. But the poorly calibrated automatic climate-control system drew many complaints. Under some conditions, the system blew very hot air unless the driver selected the full cold setting. We often found ourselves manually overriding it.

@EvoEatr - if you work at a Subaru Shop, don't let the Mfr. off the hook for poor Engineering. Fill out Quality Monitoring reports at Subaru Corp. And tell them yourself this system is poorly designed and recalibration is necessary with an updated part. This is not up to normal Subaru standards, and THEY need to hear it in 80 voice stereo from around the country. It's only the heating side, so only colder climes will see this bug. As with all such incidents it takes QUANTITY to get ACTION.
I do...I work for for MS Subaru In DE...Weve only seen a few of these problems and mostly they have been on like 05-06 models...It might be a design flaw but to the best of my knowledge that is the way the system is supposed to operate...i have yet to see this problem on a new 09 any model...It might be a little more drastic of a change in temp in the newer models because ive taken some time to play around with the EATC controls and ive been successful in getting it to a comfortable temp by just messing around....usually for the gen. 4 legacys and outbacks this happens to we just suggest to the customer to turn it down manually...its never proven to be that major of a problem on the older models...as i said ive never seen this concern before on the new 09 models though...it might be more severe...i dont really read consumer reports or anything like that...but yeah if i were you i would take it back to the dealer under warranty and demand they do something....even temporarily until they find a fix for it....

·
Registered
234 Posts
You need to press the A/C button to activate the automatic temp control. It will use a combo of heat and A/C to keep the car at whatever you set it at.

I usually balance the heat with the windows open, as it does get hotter than heck in the car if you aren't constantly adjusting it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Heat? AIR???

I have so much fun driving my '08, I never even noticed it had heat or air. Thanks for the info!!!
:rotfl:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue with mine (2009 WRX). No matter what I set the temp to, the air from the vents is VERY VERY hot. That is, until the car's interior warms up. I find this very annoying because I usually like having the vents blow WARM air, not hot air that (literally) burns my hands.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funny thing..

I have no complaints about the climate control on my 08 WRX....

Here in the North East its been a pretty cold winter... I set the system to auto, and the temp to 65..

When the coolant is warmed, the heater kicks on and blasts hot air out of a few of the vents. Then as the temp near equilibrium, the blower reduces its output and maintains the set temp..

Note that I set the distribution dial to auto, fan dial to auto, recirc is off,temp dial set to 65

The way the system works has never bothered me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SOA fixes them cabin heater controls

At least a couple of tests in the colder weather have proven that that an ambient temp sensor was my problem. SOA sent out a master tech to my Shingle Springs Subaru Dealer here in NorCal and they found that this sensor was not reading properly. They replaced it, so now as Flounder reported, I get a very warm and active heater system but it backs off like it should instead of roasting me like a Christmas Ham.

Thanks for all the comments, and if your sensor is off, bring it in, the system can work properly.

Let's hope that sensor holds up.
;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.