ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been trying to figure out exactly what the issue is with my 2008 wrx. It is all stock and I'm running the stage 0 cobb stock map on the car. I got a cobb port to try to watch the engine a bit better and I've been watching the readings for sines of issues. The thing that worries me is when I'm driving around I get 0.00 reading on the af learning 1 when going down a hill off the gas and at very low load, but when I get on it it goes from -.76 to -1.57 at full throttle. But when I stop and the car idels it goes the other way and starts around 3.91 and will slowly climd all the way to as high as 17.19 and sometimes above, as it sits longer. Again this is a slow climb only when sitting at idle. Sometimes, but not all the time, when it gets that high the check engine light along with the traction control and cruise control lights all come on and I have found that it throws a p0000 (general misfire issue) and a p0303(a misfire in cylinder 3). I can't stress enough how inconsistent these lights are and I will sometimes go weeks without seeing it and other times it will just be on when I start the car in the morning. These lights almost never come on when I'm driving and tends to only happen after I warm up the car and stop and turn it on again letting it idle. If I clear the code and start driving right away everything seems fine so I've narrowed it down to happening almost exclusively at idle. Does anyone know why this might only happen at idle and if there is anything short of a full rebuild I can do to fix this? If it helps my car also goes through oil fairly quickly and didn't leak anything. So I have to imagine it's burning it. It also doesn't do that consistently either though. Some days it is very thirsty and will go through half the dipstick and other times I can drive for a week or so before it even gets a quarter of the way down the dip stick. Any help with this problem or these problems would be greatly appreciated!

·
11,420 Posts
Let's start at the beginning. I'll do my best to cover your concerns wall of text without paragraphs between ideas makes it easy to miss.

So driving around everything's normal until you are coasting and you'll see some feedback knock. Is this a new phenomenon?

Idle the timing just advances like crazy? Does this happen any idle? Or just on start up?

What maintenance has been done. You are at the point rubber components start going hoses and belts. You absolutely need the timing belt and tensioners, waterpump and thermostat if not done yet.

I would start with easy stuff. Like checking plugs, and filters. As well as cleaning the maf sensor. Then I'd look into possible vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's start at the beginning. I'll do my best to cover your concerns wall of text without paragraphs between ideas makes it easy to miss.

So driving around everything's normal until you are coasting and you'll see some feedback knock. Is this a new phenomenon?

Idle the timing just advances like crazy? Does this happen any idle? Or just on start up?

What maintenance has been done. You are at the point rubber components start going hoses and belts. You absolutely need the timing belt and tensioners, waterpump and thermostat if not done yet.

I would start with easy stuff. Like checking plugs, and filters. As well as cleaning the maf sensor. Then I'd look into possible vacuum leaks.
So just driving around I almost never see feedback knock.

Maintenance wise I did the spark plugs, I've changed the mass airflow sensor, and I had the bottom end rebuild a bit ago by a reputable shop. I also had the timing belt and all that done as well when it was rebuilt.

As far as when exactly the lights come on, I've narrowed down the lights to only coming on when I start up the car and let it idle for a minute. Like I said though it's not a consistent problem and doesn't always happen.

·
11,420 Posts
I'm thinking you've got an air leak that may show up as thermal expansion takes hold. I vaguely recall a thread of a similar issue that wound up being vacuum system related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking you've got an air leak that may show up as thermal expansion takes hold. I vaguely recall a thread of a similar issue that wound up being vacuum system related.
I really appreciate the help on this, I'll look into the vacuum leak, thanks. Would something like that also cause it to go through oil or is that a separate issue altogether?

·
11,420 Posts
I really appreciate the help on this, I'll look into the vacuum leak, thanks. Would something like that also cause it to go through oil or is that a separate issue altogether?
Shouldn't but if that was rebuilt it shouldn't be going through oil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts