Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post! Wahoo

Any way so I have a 2008 impreza wrx (uk spec). at the moment I have fitted: a turbo back 3" cat less exhaust, turbo smart bov, aem induction kit, compomotive m06 alloys and Brembo front callipers.

This weekend gone the bottom end developed a knock so iv pulled the engine to rebuild it. Having the engine out is a great opportunity to do some things iv wanted to do for a while like fit a new clutch, change my headers and possibly change the turbo.

I would love to fit a vf52 but they are pretty scarce in the UK so I'm considering sending my td04 off to be made hybrid. Any views?

Any other mods I should be considering while I have the lump out?

Cheers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ya. Remove that bov and put the bpv back in unless you've made the proper modifications. Lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the moment mate it is 50/50 so half recirculating and half atmospheric I did try it 100% atmospheric but she just backfired constantly lol

·
Super Moderator
10,887 Posts
The afterfire is because your car is running rich after you close the throttle body plate because the metered air is not recirculated into the system it's launched into the atmosphere. It should be 100% recirculating.

The intake and exhaust require a tune, I would recommend finding a tuner and having one tune for what you are doing. You could likely find a vf52 from the states at a reasonable price, but shipping may make it unreasonable.

Have you spoken to the shops that are going to be tuning the car to see what they are comfortable with? You may also require fueling to compensate for a different higher flowing turbo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
i would say the clutch is the best thing to do while the engine is out. Everything else you don't really have to do an engine pull to swap. And yes set it to 100% recirculating. i would say get the vf52 and a electronic boost controller would be good. Its a good upgrade and you can see numbers around the 292whp mark on your 08. but always go with your tuners advice because in the end hes tuning and he might have preferences as to which brand of parts he prefers. in the end making him turn it faster saving you money and he can tune it better making it safer for your car.
But as you are getting a rebuild you will have to do around 1-2k km to break your engine and clutch in which your tuner will most likely have to give you a break in map which you will have to drive like a grandma on. and then come in for a retune once its broken in so he can actually push the car and tune it right

or if you rather save the money you can always try this

2008 WRX Stage 2.52

make sure all your mods line up and its a ots map you can flash your self with the cobb AP. every cars a little different. that map is an overall map, might not be good for everyone but for me it works beautiful and pulled hard. i used it for 26k km with no issues untill someone hit my car and wrote it off.

good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts