Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

So, i am interested in buying a used 08 and up wrx for my wife(ok and me too). We drove an 08 and thought it drove well. My question to you is how much better is the 09? I read the 08 sucks and the 09 is night and day better. Is the motor that much better? Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Broc

·
Registered
352 Posts
In short - yes.

It's not just the motor, in fact that's not even really the huge deal, it's the suspension changes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 08 was the first run model with the new body, and as such it did have a number of "problems" that arose. These being that the suspension was way to soft, it looked like an economy car, and had only 224 hp. With the low amount of sales, Subaru took the hint and for the 09' they gave it much more aggressive styling and a 265 hp motor (test drive one if you can, it's a blast!). They also changed up the interior to look a lot sportier and more of what you would expect to find in a $25000+ car of this nature. Definitely see if you can find yourself a good price on an 09'.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've got an 08 and it took extra work and parts to get it on par with the 09. That being said it depends on what you're looking for. Would your wife want a stiffer ride? Can she tell the differnece in 40 more horses?

Considering that there is probably a lot of used 08s on the market from people trading up, you'll probably find some pretty incredible deals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks,

we have been looking and the price difference isnt too bad. The car would be mainly hers but you know how that goes. no one likes to take a diesel truck out on a date. She doesnt mind the stiff ride at all, which works out well.

thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's really no comparing the two. HP, torque, handling, just about all aspects of the driving experience are different. If you're an enthusiast - no choice to make. The '09 wins on all counts. Just be sure you are aware of the factory defect in the early built '09's that causes them to eat their rod bearings resulting in the need to have the entire long block and turbo replaced. Affected July, Aug and some September builds of '09 models. You want one that has either already had the motor replaced under warranty, or one that the owner has done oil filter and oil analysis on since new and can show you based on such analysis that their won't be a problem. And that second category probably doesn't exist.

I did the analysis and knew mine would fail eventually. It did at 17 months old and 24,590 miles. After replacement of engine and turbo, I just sold it. Subaru lost a customer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts