ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple options for cars. (more than these but they are the best deals)

An 07 TR with 88k and an 08 Base with 77k

I know the 08's are like the most hated WRX ever and the TR seats aren't the best. So my question to you is. With this decision on your plate which would you go with and why?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
'07...I like the look better but that's the only reason

·
Registered
958 Posts
Both downfalls can be fixed with a few mods. So I would go by it this way.

- The car that's stock, not modified and returned to stock.
- Car with all the service records.

If they are both exactly equal in these aspects go for the look you like the most.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
07, cause hawks are the best :)

Reactions: michaelwfox

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Which ever is less modded and better taken care of mechanically speaking....but for looks, the '07 is better looking....it would also depend on final price...11k miles difference is nothing to sneeze at, the '07 would need to be cheaper as it is older and higher milage.

engine block wise they are the same, so year and milage vs price would be a factor for me

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both cars are bone stock and have pretty good service histories. The 08 is being sold by a Subaru dealer and the 07 is being sold by a "fast car" specialty dealer. The 07 is listed at 16.7k and the 08 is listed at 16.9k. In my opinion (and NADA's) both cars are very overpriced so I would have to negotiate either way. There are things I dislike about each year. The 08 looks very very plain but, I have seen ones that look nice with the right exterior mods. On the 07 I hate hate hate the taillights, which I know can be easily changed but, 04-05 taillights are hard to come by. I'm just so picky and I can't decide which direction to drive lol.

Is it true that the 08s are super slow on the top end?

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
well, since you seem to be completely on the fence here, and they have basically the same pricing, test drive both.... haggle with both of the dealers, pointing out the other one and what you like better about the other car.... see which one gives you the better deal, if neither budge on price, get the 2007

edit: or if they will not budge at all, get neither, and wait for a good priced one

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd go with less miles personally. It sounds like you are going to tweak the exterior on either to get the look you want anyways, so if you aren't pulled strongly by the looks one way or the other I'd go on price and mileage.

Personally, I really wouldn't be worried about top end power. How often do you really worry about how fast your car will accelerate when you are doing 120+ already?

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts

/thread

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

/thread
LOL! I am heavily leaning towards the 07. It's just 220 miles away from me where as the 08 is only like 100 miles away. I just know if I drive 4 hours to test drive and don't get the deal I want I'm gonna be pissed (at myself)

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Why would you be pissed? It's part of the search...think about it: You're going to be spending THOUSANDS of dollars...it damn well be everything that you want and more. You don't just spend a ton of money just to settle for something that's around or that's closer.

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point! I guess pissed isn't really the best word, more aggravated. I haven't learned patience yet and I can't see myself driving 4 hours to test drive a car and not going home with it. So I would just be a little upset if I had to walk away. I think I need to start looking at this search as an adventure lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good point! I guess pissed isn't really the best word, more aggravated. I haven't learned patience yet and I can't see myself driving 4 hours to test drive a car and not going home with it. So I would just be a little upset if I had to walk away. I think I need to start looking at this search as an adventure lol
Pit the dealers against each other and see which one gives the better deal. You can even do most of this by phone, although they're obviously going to go down more in person (Be careful: Like you mentioned, they might be able to beat you if they know you don't have the realistic option of walking away after driving so far) but you can still get a pretty good idea of which one is more anxious to make a sale.

Another thing to note is interior of the '08s is a little nicer. That might be more of an opinion thing, it's still pretty plain but I preferred it a lot over the generation before then. I'd also maybe check out the trade-in values on them and see if that year makes a big difference. Private party selling is probably very similar.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
it is an adventure...everytime I've bought a car, it's taken me over a month + once I started my search to the time I found the car that I want.

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
Pit the dealers against each other and see which one gives the better deal. You can even do most of this by phone, although they're obviously going to go down more in person (Be careful: Like you mentioned, they might be able to beat you if they know you don't have the realistic option of walking away after driving so far) but you can still get a pretty good idea of which one is more anxious to make a sale.

Another thing to note is interior of the '08s is a little nicer. That might be more of an opinion thing, it's still pretty plain but I preferred it a lot over the generation before then. I'd also maybe check out the trade-in values on them and see if that year makes a big difference. Private party selling is probably very similar.
You ALWAYS have the option of walking away. If you drove that far and STILL had the ability to walk away...that just shows the dealer how serious you are about getting a good deal on the car. I'd be willing to bet the call you 20 minutes into your drive home to try and talk to you.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^Well said Drewsssssssss

·
The Member
4,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, you guys are right. I just need to get my head right. If I'm honest with myself I would much rather have an 04-07 over any 08-09 anyway. So I guess this really means...

/thread

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
keep in mind you should get an 06-07 over an 04-05 as well...4-pot/2-pot brakes, and especially the 2.5L engine...makes for more torque :)

·
Æternum
20,600 Posts
Same drivetrain, a little more wieght. Slower than the '07 maybe by a little, but "super slow" is relative.
The 2008+ chassis is lighter than the previous 2.5 liter chassis. Also, more rigid. Purportedly the 2008+ gear set is stronger as well.

The main issue with the 2008 is the suspension, which can easily be resolved. The better torque characteristics of the TD04-19t ( when compared with the TD04-13t) + stronger driveline + multilink rear suspension makes the 2008 a superior choice.

The 2006 sedan received aluminum control arms, which gives it an edge.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts