Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been looking endlessly for a wrx that I can buy cheap to drive as a short daily driver. My diesel doesn’t like the 5 minute drive to work when it’s 20 degrees out. I have never owned a Subaru however I have always wanted one since I was a kid watching rally (26 now btw). Ironically I have very little experience with a manual transmission except a 74 corvette 4 speed drove a handful of times. I was hoping to keep my budget around 5-8k which I know is low and you will get what you pay for and most likely high miles. That has been my problem. It’s either high miles, salvage title or has an endless list of mods. Really, I’m just trying to find something that will get me to work and back, maybe do a few things to it (ie exhaust, it gotta sound good) and will give me an idea of how I like the Subaru and manual car to potential get a new or newer one in the future. Kind of get my foot in the door.

So here comes the question. I have found a 2007 wrx sti with 167k miles, he claims he’s the second owner, clean title and it’s completely STOCK. He’s asking 13.5k for it which is a little higher than book and more than I wanted to spend but saying it was stock is what caught my eye. I also didn’t really want the sti as it is more than I need. You think this is to good to be true? Is it a good deal? Is the miles concerning? What would be the potential issues with a car this old and miles? What are your thoughts on this particular car itself and year?

Sorry I know it’s a lot of questions. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
561 Posts
So I have been looking endlessly for a wrx that I can buy cheap to drive as a short daily driver. My diesel doesn’t like the 5 minute drive to work when it’s 20 degrees out. I have never owned a Subaru however I have always wanted one since I was a kid watching rally (26 now btw). Ironically I have very little experience with a manual transmission except a 74 corvette 4 speed drove a handful of times. I was hoping to keep my budget around 5-8k which I know is low and you will get what you pay for and most likely high miles. That has been my problem. It’s either high miles, salvage title or has an endless list of mods. Really, I’m just trying to find something that will get me to work and back, maybe do a few things to it (ie exhaust, it gotta sound good) and will give me an idea of how I like the Subaru and manual car to potential get a new or newer one in the future. Kind of get my foot in the door.

So here comes the question. I have found a 2007 wrx sti with 167k miles, he claims he’s the second owner, clean title and it’s completely STOCK. He’s asking 13.5k for it which is a little higher than book and more than I wanted to spend but saying it was stock is what caught my eye. I also didn’t really want the sti as it is more than I need. You think this is to good to be true? Is it a good deal? Is the miles concerning? What would be the potential issues with a car this old and miles? What are your thoughts on this particular car itself and year?

Sorry I know it’s a lot of questions. Thanks for your input!
Sounds like you're looking for a reliable daily driver at an affordable price . . . if so, I would pass on this one. It's above your stated budget and honestly a 5 minute drive doesn't really give the WRX/STI a whole lot of time to warm up. For the first 5-10 minutes of my drive I try to drive it very conservatively in the cold temps as it takes that long before the car is really up to temp.

Now figure in that for another $12,000 or so you could have a brand new WRX with zero miles . . . and a warranty.

Me, personally . . . I would not buy this car. If I really wanted a daily driver and wanted to see what the whole Subaru AWD/mystique is about I would buy a second hand Impreza for my daily driver or maybe a Legacy as these can often be picked up fairly affordably (compared to the Outbacks, Foresters and Crosstreks . . . which at least around here tend to fetch a higher price.)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Pass. That car is tired and it has a lot of unknown history. It won't even be warmed up enough to have fun by the time you get it to work. Just like FFJake said, you really need to give it 5-10 minutes before you give it anything but conservative throttle. If you're not responsible with an STI motor you'll pay for it.

With your budget and your needs I would look somewhere else instead of the WRX line-up.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Pass. There are alot more fun vehicles to be had for 14k than a used Sti for a DD. Especially on a 12 year old car with over 150k miles. The risk outweighs the benefit, Now if you could talk him down quite a bit it might be worth it but at that price no thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts