Subaru WRX Forum banner

2007 Subaru Impreza WRX cruise control wiring.

6K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  zoomzoom870 
#1 ·
So I recently replaced my Worn factory steering wheel with a nice new momo wheel and quick release.

I wanted to keep my cruise control but it is mounted to a stock on the factory steering wheel.

I don't really need to cancel function so I grabbed a power window button that would fit the blanks on the dash and the cruise control button off an old outback at the junkyard.
Which should give me
on/off
Set/coast
And res/acc

I need help identifying some of the wiring on the dash side of the cruise control circuit.

On the wiring going to the clock spring I have
R/g = horn+
R=
W=set/coast?
B=
B/w=

And after the car clock spring going into the old cruise control switch I have
B and R paired from the clip going to the on-off button.
W/r=set/coast
Y/b=res/acc
G/b=which doubles back on the wiring between the connector and the buttons doubling as the horn button.

So I think the red and green wire under the dash that I ran to my new horn turns into green and black wire on the cruise control switch.

The switch connects G/b to W/r for res/acc

And G/b to Y/b for set/coast

R and B for on off

To cancel the switch looks like it connects green to both Y/b and W/r through two diodes with the negative side of the diodes connected to G/b For anyone who really wants to keep a cancel button.

My clock spring went bad soon after getting the car and I couldn't test it to find out what each wire turned into inside the clock spring.

I have searched every Subaru form I know of and have not found any solid information on the cruise control wiring.
There was one very old post (iirc was an 05 outback) where they were trying to reroute around a bad clock spring and said that connecting the horn wire to the white wire under the dash set the cruise. Which assuming the white wire just comes out of the clock spring with a red stripe added to it would make sense.

I'm hoping someone on here can help me out with labeling the wiring under the dash.
we should have a very clean almost OEM way to keep our cruise control when we switch to aftermarket steering wheels since most of these cars are going to have nearly identical wiring.

I know I'm new here but hopefully I can be of some help. I did my best to post in the correct place but if it's not hopefully one of the mods can move it.

See less See more
#3 ·
I could swear I read a thread like this on NASIOC!

I recommend searching their site. I really do believe I read something just like what you are asking.
I have been searching for a couple of weeks even going to forums specifically for other cars such as Outbacks and foresters.

I have not been able to find the information.

I have posted a nearly identical question on a couple of other forms looking for the information and plan to update my post on all of them if I find an answer.

#4 ·
Perhaps the attached file will help?

If you are using Momo part #7310 then that hub can be modded to retain the cruise functions you want according to this:

In any case, have a look at the PDF.

Attachments

#7 ·
I couldn't tell you other than maybe the year model since mine is a 2006.
Under my dash the clip that the clock spring plugs into has different colors.
I think on my car. I'm owner #7 and a lot of my under dash wiring is cut up from what looks like a bad aftermarket security system install.

Rd/GN=GN/Rd
Rd/w=W
Gn/bk=Rd
G=Bk
LGb=Bk/w

#8 ·
Aha! I think after 2005 they went to drive-by-wire. That might explain the differences. See if you can liberate a works wiring diagramme for a 2006 specifically then, sorry.

#11 ·
Well I may have really messed it up now. Testing the wires to see if I had it figured out. I droped the red wire and it touched a ground now my ABS and brake light are on (everything else seems normal) I have to work tonight so I'm going to call it quits for today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.